Advanced Search

Author Topic: Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst  (Read 90441 times)

February 01, 2008, 01:49:02 PM
Reply #25

Chaotix Emerald

• Enjoys a hearty bowl of rings each morning

• Stares at Your Topics

• Wut lol

• View Profile
Re: Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 01:49:02 PM »
I remember playing this with you guys when BB was in open beta. I'll definitely try it out if it's free and the servers stable.

February 05, 2008, 04:52:38 PM
Reply #26

Chaotix Emerald

• Stares at Your Topics

• Wut lol

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 04:52:38 PM »

Yeah, PSO is still fun. If any of you wants to play with me I hang out in Horizon 01-01. Sometimes I hide in lobby 13 (01-13) to get away from all the n00bs.

February 06, 2008, 05:44:18 PM
Reply #27

SpadeRunner|Faker

• Cinos Hedgean

• Not Marc, maybe Faker, also ViR

• View Profile
    • SpadeRunner Illustrations
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 05:44:18 PM »
D...d...double saber! Blast my horrible drop luck :<

February 06, 2008, 07:16:22 PM
Reply #28

SoNick

• 3 ring meals a day

• Seeking applications for new profile picture

• View Profile
    • SoNick's vaguely coherent ramblings
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 07:16:22 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, I happened to run across them right before facing Dark Force Falz for the first time ever back on Version 1 for Dreamcast.
[spoiler]It won't. :E[/spoiler]

Also:

_Much_ better shot of my character. I don't know who the other dude is. He totally doesn't post here, and he totally didn't used to live, like, two blocks from my house. :E

It sucks that AVG popping up saying "Scan Complete!" caused my little brother to drop during the last boss fight of that quest.
Normally, I'd just disable scan-computer-on-startup, but that's the family computer, so it's best to keep stuff like that to help slow the progress of prevent the computer from being riddled with viruses, spyware, etc.

February 07, 2008, 12:27:12 AM
Reply #29

Ksuno

• 3 ring meals a day

• :|

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 12:27:12 AM »
Hahahahaha, I was wondering what the hell happened to him.. er.. i mean... Who?
[spoiler]And don't you just love how I got killed while dropping all of my moons so you could continue to resurrect me?? PRICELESS[/spoiler] 
Physics makes us all its bitches.

February 09, 2008, 03:09:21 PM
Reply #30

Penopat

• Casual ring snacker

• q?

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2008, 03:09:21 PM »
I can play with you guys. I honestly stopped playing before, but that was mainly due to time constraints that aren't quite as demanding anymore.

As long as you don't play as HUmar. They are the worst class in PSO. If you want to play as a HU, play as a HUcast or something. If you play HUmar since he's "easy" to play (not), there's a thing called RAmar. Play RAmar if you want to be REALLY lazy and have a easy time. :D To be blunt, though, HUmar isn't honestly that bad if you actually use Jellen and Zalure and somewhat support your teammates and have actual skill. It's just that most μ00bmars don't know how to play and run into a monster and expect you to support their every whim...

Also, don't ever have Pinkal as your section ID. EVER. I can testify to that fact. :(

February 24, 2008, 08:36:33 PM
Reply #31

Yoko Oh-no!

• Ring connoisseur

• isn't silve

• this doesn't make me gay

• View Profile

February 25, 2008, 06:42:23 PM
Reply #32

SoNick

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 06:42:23 PM »
I can play with you guys. I honestly stopped playing before, but that was mainly due to time constraints that aren't quite as demanding anymore.

As long as you don't play as HUmar. They are the worst class in PSO. If you want to play as a HU, play as a HUcast or something. If you play HUmar since he's "easy" to play (not), there's a thing called RAmar. Play RAmar if you want to be REALLY lazy and have a easy time. :D To be blunt, though, HUmar isn't honestly that bad if you actually use Jellen and Zalure and somewhat support your teammates and have actual skill. It's just that most μ00bmars don't know how to play and run into a monster and expect you to support their every whim...

Also, don't ever have Pinkal as your section ID. EVER. I can testify to that fact. :(

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2976/psosq9.png

I see what you did there.

But then, I must add that I've seen the way that others play HUmars and it's really quite annoying; they seem to think that they should run in headlong and attack whatever moves, stealing every item that drops along the way.
Now, don't get me wrong; I know that with their high ATP they make great attackers, but honestly? I'd prefer a HUcast for that. They make decent meat shields as well.

I've tried playing as a RAmar multiple times... being able to use Shifta and Deband again instead of the mostly useless Jellen and Zalure is a definite plus, but the attack power is just too low for my playing style; as a HUmar I'd usually level up the DEX and ATK of my mag, then grab mechgun-class weapons and go from there; if the enemies had high enough defense that mechguns are useless, I'd pull out a sword-class or saber-class and go close-range.

Forces are fun for a change of pace, but with the amount of times that I've re-created my character across various versions of PSO (v1 three or four times, once or twice on v2PC, once on Episodes I & II, once on Blue Burst Open Beta rip-off demo, once on Blue Burst on schthack...), I'm not quite ready to go through the low levels again. Especially not as a Force.

And I don't know what to say regarding Pinkal; I've always had the luck with my character names that I've never been on that section ID. Now Yellowboze, Greenill, and (with my latest attempt at a RAmar, "RaNick") Redria on the other hand...

And finally, you want teammates who support you no matter what character class they are.
There's nothing more annoying than an idiot running headlong into enemies that kill him in a hit or two then starts shouting "rez plz"
That's not teamwork.

Right, there was a point somewhere behind this rant, but I can't seem to remember it amongst the excitement of "Dragon Boss found in SA:DX beta!"

February 25, 2008, 08:41:09 PM
Reply #33

Yoko Oh-no!

• Ring connoisseur

• isn't silve

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2008, 08:41:09 PM »
I'm a FOmar.  Tehy can spam magic if they're unarmed.

February 26, 2008, 04:21:17 AM
Reply #34

Ashuku

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2008, 04:21:17 AM »
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:34:23 PM by Ashuku »

February 26, 2008, 02:30:13 PM
Reply #35

Ashuku

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2008, 02:30:13 PM »
Okay, this game is definitely not for me.

The camera is horrible, the combat is slow and boring, and maybe it was just lag, but half my hits wouldn't register, despite my beam saber going straight through the enemy the majority of the time. That, and I'd get hit constantly by stuff that wasn't even near me (and not using projectile attacks).

Before anyone says anything. Yes, I know you can recenter the camera. But it still is horrible.

So yeah, never playing this again.

February 26, 2008, 05:48:32 PM
Reply #36

SoNick

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2008, 05:48:32 PM »
Oh, I'm not even going to try to defend the camera; it's SEGA we're talking about here, after all. :E
It's not _too_ horrible through most of the Episode 1 levels and what little I've played of Episode 4, but I honestly believe that whoever designed the VR Temple maps should be taken out back and shot. There are some interesting concepts in the level, yes, but a SEGA camera in narrow, twisty passages? That's pretty much begging for trouble, right there!

Recentering the camera is slightly easier on the console versions, what with it being L-trigger instead of up.
And that's something that's baffled and slightly annoyed me! You've got an action palette that maps to the directional arrows, except for the top one! What were they smoking when they made that choice?! It took me awhile to realize that End is "action palette top." and Up is "recenter camera." That's part of the reason why I switched to my 360 controller after about an hour into playing, the other part of the reason being a simple "it's how I'm used to playing PSO."

It makes using the "1-0" shortcuts slightly less useful as I have to let go of the controller to do so, but they were really quite poorly implemented anyways!
Given the way they work, they almost feel like a last-second addition to the game without much thought put into them!
That's not to say that they're not useful, but they should really get their own section under the "Customize" option or... something! The way you set them is annoying and retarded!

Your combat trouble sounds like some huge lag. That's... my best guess for it; I've never run into things lagging that bad.

February 26, 2008, 06:22:41 PM
Reply #37

Ashuku

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2008, 06:22:41 PM »
I was using a 360 controller and still couldn't stand the camera :P

February 26, 2008, 11:01:38 PM
Reply #38

Yoko Oh-no!

• Ring connoisseur

• isn't silve

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2008, 11:01:38 PM »
Your hits become more accurate when your accuracy goes up.  After a few levels you start to become more badass.

It's kinda like castlevania in the combat, kinda slow and sluggish, but very well balanced and engaging.

February 27, 2008, 12:05:50 AM
Reply #39

Ashuku

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2008, 12:05:50 AM »
Engaging is probably the last word I'd think of when attempting to describe PSO's combat.

February 27, 2008, 12:26:04 AM
Reply #40

Yoko Oh-no!

• Ring connoisseur

• isn't silve

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2008, 12:26:04 AM »
I think if you sat down with it and went through a couple of the one person side story missions you'd really start to like it.  It feels constricting at first but eventually it just clicks and you really start to enjoy it.  If you don't enjoy hunter you might find more fun in ranger or force.

Plus blaze was basically killing everything for you so it looked like you didn't really have room to learn the game properly.

February 27, 2008, 12:30:15 AM
Reply #41

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2008, 12:30:15 AM »
PSO is a terribly shitty game. It's only enjoyable because it's an alternative to a chatroom.
Visit Soaringrabbit.com, home of Soaring Rabbit, a Keio Flying Squadron fansite, Rampaging Feline, which is all about Di Gi Charat, Bombastic Bunny, my blog about technology and stuff, or maybe even Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Veronica's wonderful comic.

February 27, 2008, 08:55:10 AM
Reply #42

Corey

• Ring connoisseur

• meat stain on a white shirt

• ACCEPT YOUR IDENTITY, BOY

• View Profile
    • SEGA's Victims
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2008, 08:55:10 AM »
Okies, I'm set up now.

Account Name = saga
Player 1 = Saga!

Only problem is, I can't seem to remember how to GTFO the lobby. reinforce armor.

Edit - Figured it out.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:37:11 PM by HOOVER! »
O o

February 27, 2008, 10:59:42 AM
Reply #43

Yoko Oh-no!

• Ring connoisseur

• isn't silve

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2008, 10:59:42 AM »
PSO is pretty interesting because the combat has a good balance between attacking and retreating.  Also you have dynamically set up good "safe zones" for yourself between you and your enemy to get good attacks in before they get you.  Much like the oldschool castlevania games.  Also like old school castlevania, if you're really really good and memorize the enemy ai and all the details of your attacks you can get through the entire game without taking a single hit.

February 27, 2008, 06:07:54 PM
Reply #44

Kyoma

• Only a genius thinks of the obvious.

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2008, 06:07:54 PM »
PSO is a terribly shitty game. It's only enjoyable because it's an alternative to a chatroom.

Nobody would play PSO if IRC let you make goofy faces.

February 27, 2008, 07:19:39 PM
Reply #45

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2008, 07:19:39 PM »
MS Comic Chat
Visit Soaringrabbit.com, home of Soaring Rabbit, a Keio Flying Squadron fansite, Rampaging Feline, which is all about Di Gi Charat, Bombastic Bunny, my blog about technology and stuff, or maybe even Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Veronica's wonderful comic.

February 27, 2008, 09:29:13 PM
Reply #46

Yoko Oh-no!

• Ring connoisseur

• isn't silve

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2008, 09:29:13 PM »
well FUCK y'all.  :(

Kyoma come to chat more often ;.;

March 01, 2008, 02:21:59 AM
Reply #47

Penopat

• Casual ring snacker

• q?

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2008, 02:21:59 AM »
being able to use Shifta and Deband again instead of the mostly useless Jellen and Zalure is a definite plus

High level J/Z does more than high level S/D when you don't have a level 200 HUcast in your party. Although I guess it reallty doesn't apply to the HU/RAmar, since they get carpy versions of their spells anyways.

May 15, 2008, 12:05:26 AM
Reply #48

Ksuno

• 3 ring meals a day

• :|

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2008, 12:05:26 AM »
So is there an alternate PSOBB d/l destination other than Sega? They seem to have taken it off or done something?
A friend of mine is interested in playing PSO, but can't d/l it from Sega's website...
Physics makes us all its bitches.

May 15, 2008, 12:49:14 AM
Reply #49

Corey

• Ring connoisseur

• meat stain on a white shirt

• ACCEPT YOUR IDENTITY, BOY

• View Profile
    • SEGA's Victims
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2008, 12:49:14 AM »
O o