Advanced Search

Author Topic: Hey Josh!  (Read 1333 times)

May 27, 2008, 06:01:05 PM
Read 1333 times

SoNick

• 3 ring meals a day

• Seeking applications for new profile picture

• View Profile
    • SoNick's vaguely coherent ramblings
Hey Josh!
« on: May 27, 2008, 06:01:05 PM »
What are your opinions of the following individuals?

Mark William Calaway
Glen Thomas Jacobs
Paul Michael Levesque
Michael Shawn Hickenbottom
Brian Gerard James
Monty "Kip" Sopp
Sean Michael Waltman
Joanie Marie Laurer
Adam Joseph Copeland
William Jason Reso
Matthew Moore Hardy
Jeffrey Nero Hardy
Robert Alexander Szatkowski
Michael Francis Foley, Sr.
Gregory Shane Helms
Paul Wight, Jr.
Dwayne Douglas Johnson
Steven James Williams

I realize that this is a short list, but I do not wish to make it too obvious what I'm on about; indeed, I fear that I may have done so with some of the selections I've made.

May 28, 2008, 02:08:22 PM
Reply #1

Josh

• Ring connoisseur

• TGC Warrior

• Bring it on home!

• View Profile
Re: Hey Josh!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 02:08:22 PM »
Mark William Calaway - Bores me for the most part these days. I found him much more entertaining back when he rode motorcycles and talked about his yard. As a side note though, I did customer service at a credit card company a few years back, and this guy actually called me to dispute a charge. As if that wasn't cool enough, I noticed that he spent $170 at Chuck-E-Cheese. XD

Glen Thomas Jacobs - Lives very close to me. No longer obsessed with May 19, apparantly. Massively entertaining. I wish he'd be a little more funny, a little less MONSTER-ish, though. Big-time gamer, too.

Paul Michael Levesque - Has somehow become one of three heirs apparant to the throne. I'm no HHHater, though. From here on out, he'll always be cheered by smarks as a badass face hero, and there's nothing wrong with that. Always great on the mic, although like most of the E's roster, his match routine is getting really stale.

Michael Shawn Hickenbottom - At 42 years old, the kid's still got it. Has quite possibly the best workrate of anyone in the company. Screw Lawrence Wendell Pfohl, Hickenbottom is the total package. Puts on great shows with anybody, even Chris Mordetsky.

Brian Gerard James - To be honest, I'm not extremely familier with this guy or Kip. I was watching Turner back when he was in New York, and I don't catch a whole lot of what goes on in the iMPACT! Zone today. Although I was there in Knoxville when they were doing the VKM thing at one of Vince's live events.

Monty "Kip" Sopp - See above.

Sean Michael Waltman - Ahaha. Putting Waltman and Laurer so close together only brought back horrible, horrible memories. So Dwayne Johnson thinks The Marine is torture?

Joanie Marie Laurer - Her favorite color is green. And she likes to sing about it.

Adam Joseph Copeland - Most entertaining heel in the buisiness today, bar none. Actually got people to hate him and cheer for the Doctor of Thuganomics a few years ago. Amazing promos, entertaining matches... this guy's one of my top 3 favorites right now.

William Jason Reso - Like I said, I don't see a whole lot of this Nashville-based troupe, but when I do catch it, he's always one of the most entertaining parts. They say he goes over his promos again and again before a show, and you can tell in his delivery and passion for what he's doing.

Matthew Moore Hardy - His character lost all credibility for me when he basically just got the crap beat out of him by Copeland in 2005. Since then, he's become something of a joke among me and my friends, and I still feel like he needs another push up to the main-event level and a successful run with Copeland before I can take him too seriously again.

Jeffrey Nero Hardy - Massively over, a vet, extremely entertaining... and then he gets WELLNESS'D and his house burns down. He's back now though, to hopefully build back up his boss's trust and jump off more high things.

Robert Alexander Szatkowski - And SPEAKING OF high things! I'd look for him to pop back up on television within the next year or so. Me and my friend once did a massively entertaining piece involving him as Rob, and me as Dwayne Johnson, trying to get him to stop smokin' those funny cigarettes.

Michael Francis Foley, Sr. - Reminds me of myself moreso than anyone else in the buisiness. Much, muuuuch better than Coach at commentating. Love him! RIGHT HERE, AT SONIC EATS RINGS! YEAAAAH!

Gregory Shane Helms - I don't know HOW they convinced him to drop the Hurricane gimmick, considering all the money he made from merch sales. He's hilarious though, as seen in his segments with Johnson five years ago. Hasn't had much of a chance to showcase his stuff since then, and has been sidelined for a while now, maybe indefinitely. I'd hate to see that happen.

Paul Wight, Jr. - Made Floyd Mayweather watchable. Oodles of untapped charisma and humorous potential. Remember the Showster, or Positively Show? Alas, it looks like he's going to become the centerpiece of the former Philly brand again.

Dwayne Douglas Johnson - For my money, the absolute best ever. He was so good, the industry couldn't contain him. Rumors of one more match abound, and as I'm going to the 25th annual Greatest Spectacle of All Time, I can only hope...

Steven James Williams - What? From a financial and popularity standpoint, he's the biggest star ever. Yes, even bigger than Terry Gene Bollea. Everything he did got over, every catchphrase, every move, every storyline element... and it's just sad that he had to leave riiiight after his prime was over.

And I swear, I didn't have to look on a single one of those. XD

May 28, 2008, 10:41:36 PM
Reply #2

SoNick

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:41:36 PM »
Mark William Calaway - Bores me for the most part these days. I found him much more entertaining back when he rode motorcycles and talked about his yard. As a side note though, I did customer service at a credit card company a few years back, and this guy actually called me to dispute a charge. As if that wasn't cool enough, I noticed that he spent $170 at Chuck-E-Cheese. XD
I don't know; I've always liked his "Dead man" gimmick, but I don't watch enough SmackDown! to see him much.
And that is pretty awesome that you got to speak to him through your work!

Glen Thomas Jacobs - Lives very close to me. No longer obsessed with May 19, apparantly. Massively entertaining. I wish he'd be a little more funny, a little less MONSTER-ish, though. Big-time gamer, too.
Oh? I didn't know that!
I also didn't know he was ever obsessed with May 19th. What's the story behind that?
But I did know of him being a big-time gamer!

Paul Michael Levesque - Has somehow become one of three heirs apparant to the throne. I'm no HHHater, though. From here on out, he'll always be cheered by smarks as a badass face hero, and there's nothing wrong with that. Always great on the mic, although like most of the E's roster, his match routine is getting really stale.
His promos are usually pretty amusing, yeah, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "a badass face hero."
And I'm not going to argue at all about his match routine getting stale!
It's reached the point where I don't even watch the main events on RAW anymore!

Michael Shawn Hickenbottom - At 42 years old, the kid's still got it. Has quite possibly the best workrate of anyone in the company. Screw Lawrence Wendell Pfohl, Hickenbottom is the total package. Puts on great shows with anybody, even Chris Mordetsky.
And that takes some serious skill!
Mordetsky's matches were one of the things that drove me to quit watching for a few years!

Brian Gerard James - To be honest, I'm not extremely familier with this guy or Kip. I was watching Turner back when he was in New York, and I don't catch a whole lot of what goes on in the iMPACT! Zone today. Although I was there in Knoxville when they were doing the VKM thing at one of Vince's live events.
He's... decent on iMPACT!; the days when him and Sopp were "The New Age Outlaws" were truly the height of both of their careers; after the team broke up in the E, both of their careers went downhill. They're decent on iMPACT!, but they'll never reclaim the glory of their "Outlaws" days.

Monty "Kip" Sopp - See above.
For the most part see the above about B.G. James, but he also went into an extremely lame and drawn-out "fake-gay" gimmick with Charles Palumbo.
He returned to his "Mr. Ass" gimmick for a bit after the "Billy and Chuck" gimmick finally ended, but it was too late; he never achieve real success afterwards in the E, and even on iMPACT! he's just another mediocre mid-carder.

Sean Michael Waltman - Ahaha. Putting Waltman and Laurer so close together only brought back horrible, horrible memories. So Dwayne Johnson thinks The Marine is torture?
That was intentional, actually. :E

Joanie Marie Laurer - Her favorite color is green. And she likes to sing about it.
Well, I can't argue with that I guess...

Adam Joseph Copeland - Most entertaining heel in the buisiness today, bar none. Actually got people to hate him and cheer for the Doctor of Thuganomics a few years ago. Amazing promos, entertaining matches... this guy's one of my top 3 favorites right now.
I don't know; his big heel turn took place as I was quitting watching, so I've still not adjusted to his current character.
He does have good matches, yes.
And I know that he probably doesn't have much say in the writing of the angle, but he definitely needs to get rid of Vickie Guerrero; she needs much mic training before they ever let her speak in public again! Seriously, she's so bad at delivering lines that it almost hurts!

William Jason Reso - Like I said, I don't see a whole lot of this Nashville-based troupe, but when I do catch it, he's always one of the most entertaining parts. They say he goes over his promos again and again before a show, and you can tell in his delivery and passion for what he's doing.
Can't argue with that.
Also he totally reeked of awesomeness when teamed with Copeland in the E. :E

Matthew Moore Hardy - His character lost all credibility for me when he basically just got the crap beat out of him by Copeland in 2005. Since then, he's become something of a joke among me and my friends, and I still feel like he needs another push up to the main-event level and a successful run with Copeland before I can take him too seriously again.
Yeah, he's definitely deserving of a main-event push right now.
With his brother rising to challenge for the WWE title, Matt definitely deserves more of a push than what they're giving him!

Jeffrey Nero Hardy - Massively over, a vet, extremely entertaining... and then he gets WELLNESS'D and his house burns down. He's back now though, to hopefully build back up his boss's trust and jump off more high things.
Can't argue with that.
Although I will say that I don't like his new music.

Robert Alexander Szatkowski - And SPEAKING OF high things! I'd look for him to pop back up on television within the next year or so. Me and my friend once did a massively entertaining piece involving him as Rob, and me as Dwayne Johnson, trying to get him to stop smokin' those funny cigarettes.
Bwaha, that's terrible!
Actually he's started his own "RVDTV" thing, actually.
It's kind of amusing to see what he's like behind-the-scenes.
I didn't know he was a Ghost Rider fan until I watched it on Youtube!
Also: Part 1 of 3 of an interview with him

Michael Francis Foley, Sr. - Reminds me of myself moreso than anyone else in the buisiness. Much, muuuuch better than Coach at commentating. Love him! RIGHT HERE, AT SONIC EATS RINGS! YEAAAAH!
Foley is good.
There's no two ways about it!

Gregory Shane Helms - I don't know HOW they convinced him to drop the Hurricane gimmick, considering all the money he made from merch sales. He's hilarious though, as seen in his segments with Johnson five years ago. Hasn't had much of a chance to showcase his stuff since then, and has been sidelined for a while now, maybe indefinitely. I'd hate to see that happen.
Seriously, man, it was one of the best gimmicks ever.
It's the only time that I've seen a superhero gimmick that I genuinely liked!

Paul Wight, Jr. - Made Floyd Mayweather watchable. Oodles of untapped charisma and humorous potential. Remember the Showster, or Positively Show? Alas, it looks like he's going to become the centerpiece of the former Philly brand again.
I don't remember Positively Show, but I do remember the Showster and Showkishi.
I'm really not liking his slower music, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Dwayne Douglas Johnson - For my money, the absolute best ever. He was so good, the industry couldn't contain him. Rumors of one more match abound, and as I'm going to the 25th annual Greatest Spectacle of All Time, I can only hope...
Yes!
He has some of the best mic skills ever!

Steven James Williams - What? From a financial and popularity standpoint, he's the biggest star ever. Yes, even bigger than Terry Gene Bollea. Everything he did got over, every catchphrase, every move, every storyline element... and it's just sad that he had to leave riiiight after his prime was over.
And that's the bottom line, because-a Stone Cold says it be so!

And I swear, I didn't have to look on a single one of those. XD
I didn't have to look for the first and last names, but the middle names (other than Helms and B.G. "Road Dogg" James) I didn't know offhand.
And I can still never spell Szatkowski's name right without looking it up.

That reminds me, I have a few more to question you about:
Anthony Carelli
Mark LoMonaco [...and not Lamonaco, as I thought it was spelled]
Devon Hughes
Matt Johnathon Hyson
Noreen Kristina Greenwald [...and not Nora Greenwood. I was close! ...ish!]
Christopher Keith Irvine
Randal Keith Orton
John Felix Anthony Cena

May 28, 2008, 11:29:16 PM
Reply #3

Eric

• farts

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 11:29:16 PM »
what the hell

May 29, 2008, 12:06:12 AM
Reply #4

Josh

• Ring connoisseur

• TGC Warrior

• Bring it on home!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 12:06:12 AM »
in b4 "you know that's fake" comments

Anyway, lesse...

I also didn't know he was ever obsessed with May 19th. What's the story behind that?

He was in a movie a few years ago, and to promote the release date they had Glen go crazy and attack random people any time they brought it up, as well as silly promos going, "MAY 19th... IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN KANE". If you watched one of the recent RAWs, Blade Braxton from Wrestlecrap.com brought a sign that said "Happy May 19th, Kane!"

Okay, more guys... and I will have to look most of these up, though I know who the first one is for sure. XD

Anthony Carelli - I mark out at his theme music. This guy's the most entertaining jobber I've ever known. His mic skills and timing are like some cowardly italian version of Dwayne Johnson, and the things he says are genuinely funny. "I'ma gonna open a jar of ass whip!"

Mark LoMonaco & Devon Hughes - Hm... haven't followed 'em in quite some time, but last I saw, they were putting on kick-ass matches and playing awesome heels. And they were part of one of the most entertaining matches I've ever seen: Thomas Laughlin and Jim Fullington vs. these two at One Night Stand 2005.

Matt Johnathon Hyson - This is Spike, right? THE COLORS, MAN, THE COLORS!

Noreen Kristina Greenwald [...and not Nora Greenwood. I was close! ...ish!] - Hah, I knew it was Greenwald. So underrated, she's like the Sean Morley of women. And hot in an all-natural way, to boot!

Christopher Keith Irvine - Read his book. One of my favorites of all time. I marked out COMPLETELY up to and on November 19, and still wish his returning mega-push hadn't been so bungled. Still, his current storyline with Hickenbottom has something most lack nowadays: dimensions. Life behind the eyes. And I'm really enjoying it. I could watch those two go at it every week. XD

Randal Keith Orton - Or as we call him in my clique of fans, Young Randall Orton. Anyway, Orton is an effete water-headed mutant shit-heel foisted on the audience in lieu of a performer with more than a grudging rudimentary association with talent. He is, to me, the epitome of what's wrong with the company these days. He's overwhelmingly mediocre. Me and Lennon have taken to calling his matches at PPVs just to keep count of how many different moves he does in a single match, and it's usually around nine. Beyond that though, he's an asshole IRL.

John Felix Anthony Cena - Man oh man. Where do I even start with this guy? By all accounts, mine included (me and some other fans ran into him at a resturaunt after a live event last year), he's one of the most likable and down-to-earth guys outside the ring. He's passionate about what he does. And he's really, really improved in every facet. Unfortunately, his character's a product of the "creative" team, and I just dread him going on another one of his title dominance phases. He sometimes comes across as very inconsistant, as though he's Sgt. Rock Austin, and I can not tell you how sick I got of him winning match after match last year. He's loved by misguided teenage girls and children though, and they buy lots of merch, so I don't look for him to make the MUCH needed heel turn anytime soon.

Also, why are they still using his bling belt? XP

May 29, 2008, 12:27:30 AM
Reply #5

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 12:27:30 AM »
what the hell

Took me a second too

May 29, 2008, 01:53:19 AM
Reply #6

Corey

• Ring connoisseur

• meat stain on a white shirt

• ACCEPT YOUR IDENTITY, BOY

• View Profile
    • SEGA's Victims
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 01:53:19 AM »
You mean you didn't noticed at the Hardy's? They're detectives of course!
O o

May 29, 2008, 10:33:26 AM
Reply #7

SonKnuck

• Ring connoisseur

• Omelette Du Démarrer

• View Profile
    • SonKnuck Adventures
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »
tl;dr

May 29, 2008, 10:50:05 PM
Reply #8

SoNick

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 10:50:05 PM »
what the hell

Took me a second too
I noticed in plenty of previous topics that Josh had showed more than a passing interest in something that I'm interested in, and I wanted to get an idea of how much he knows as well as start a discussion.
The "use the actors' real names" thing was actually part of the "see how much Josh knows" bit; I'm only continuing it because he opted to in his posts.

You mean you didn't noticed at the Hardy's? They're detectives of course!
Actually, IIRC the reason the brothers that Josh and I talked about used the name "The Hardy Boyz" for their team was to avoid some sort of copyright infringement regarding "The Hardy Boys." They worked it into a whole "Team Extreme" gimmick without being lame, and that takes some serious skill, yo.

in b4 "you know that's fake" comments
Yes, it's quite funny stumbling across videos on YouTube saying "Wrestling is fake!" as if it's some sort of new discovery.
Next thing you know they'll be saying that movies are fake, too! And sitcoms!
Although to be fair, if these videos had come about back before the early-mid 90's then I could see some merit to them; back then they did try to promote it as real.

He was in a movie a few years ago, and to promote the release date they had Glen go crazy and attack random people any time they brought it up, as well as silly promos going, "MAY 19th... IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN KANE". If you watched one of the recent RAWs, Blade Braxton from Wrestlecrap.com brought a sign that said "Happy May 19th, Kane!"
Ah, that "See No Evil" movie?
I'd heard of it, actually, but I never got around to watching it.
Is it any good?

Anthony Carelli - I mark out at his theme music. This guy's the most entertaining jobber I've ever known. His mic skills and timing are like some cowardly italian version of Dwayne Johnson, and the things he says are genuinely funny. "I'ma gonna open a jar of ass whip!"
I... yes! Same here!
He's one of my favorites to watch!

Mark LoMonaco & Devon Hughes - Hm... haven't followed 'em in quite some time, but last I saw, they were putting on kick-ass matches and playing awesome heels. And they were part of one of the most entertaining matches I've ever seen: Thomas Laughlin and Jim Fullington vs. these two at One Night Stand 2005.
Ah... I missed that match.
That was the REAL "One Night Stand," wasn't it? The one before they "revived" ECW as a shell of its former self

Matt Johnathon Hyson - This is Spike, right? THE COLORS, MAN, THE COLORS!
Indeed it is!
His "Acid Drop"/"Dudley Dog"/"Deadly Dog" finisher is pretty cool.

Noreen Kristina Greenwald [...and not Nora Greenwood. I was close! ...ish!] - Hah, I knew it was Greenwald. So underrated, she's like the Sean Morley of women. And hot in an all-natural way, to boot!
She is, man. She is.
She should either sign with WWE or TNA, as she was entertaining to watch!
And that angle with her and Spike is still one of my personal favorites.

Christopher Keith Irvine - Read his book. One of my favorites of all time. I marked out COMPLETELY up to and on November 19, and still wish his returning mega-push hadn't been so bungled. Still, his current storyline with Hickenbottom has something most lack nowadays: dimensions. Life behind the eyes. And I'm really enjoying it. I could watch those two go at it every week. XD
One of my favorites as well!
Actually two of my favorite bits of all time feature him!
The first of the two is him with Dwayne Johnson, and the second is Irvine with Anthony Carelli right after Irvine's return last year.

Randal Keith Orton - Or as we call him in my clique of fans, Young Randall Orton. Anyway, Orton is an effete water-headed mutant shit-heel foisted on the audience in lieu of a performer with more than a grudging rudimentary association with talent. He is, to me, the epitome of what's wrong with the company these days. He's overwhelmingly mediocre. Me and Lennon have taken to calling his matches at PPVs just to keep count of how many different moves he does in a single match, and it's usually around nine. Beyond that though, he's an asshole IRL.
Eh... his facial expressions aren't bad, and he does an acceptable job at selling moves.
But he doesn't have the mic skills of a main-eventer. He's not Vickie Guerrero-bad, but he still needs a lot of practice.
And as you alluded to, he doesn't really have much variety in his moves.
I think he'd be a decent lower-midcarder; jobbing for most of the matches so that his opponent's moves hide his lack of variety a little.
He is definitely not main-event material!
I didn't know about him being an asshole IRL. What kind of things does he do?

John Felix Anthony Cena - Man oh man. Where do I even start with this guy? By all accounts, mine included (me and some other fans ran into him at a resturaunt after a live event last year), he's one of the most likable and down-to-earth guys outside the ring. He's passionate about what he does. And he's really, really improved in every facet. Unfortunately, his character's a product of the "creative" team, and I just dread him going on another one of his title dominance phases. He sometimes comes across as very inconsistant, as though he's Sgt. Rock Austin, and I can not tell you how sick I got of him winning match after match last year. He's loved by misguided teenage girls and children though, and they buy lots of merch, so I don't look for him to make the MUCH needed heel turn anytime soon.

Also, why are they still using his bling belt? XP
I've been wondering the same thing, actually.
I'm not a fan of his matches, and when I started watching again and I saw that they were using the spinner belt, I feared that Orton would drop the title to Cena as soon as he returned from his injury.
That, of course, didn't end up happening, but I still can't get into the matches involving the title.
I've already made my statement above (well, agreed with your statement, but still...) about Levesque's matches being incredibly boring, Layfield's "JBL" gimmick is so terrible it makes me switch channels (bring back the "A.P.A" gimmick. Not just Layfield and Simmons teaming together, but the whole "Because we need beer money" attitude and everything!), and Orton and Cena both bore me in the ring.
Isn't the "main event" supposed to be the best part of the show, not the worst?

May 31, 2008, 03:54:11 PM
Reply #9

Josh

• Ring connoisseur

• TGC Warrior

• Bring it on home!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 03:54:11 PM »
Ah, that "See No Evil" movie?
I'd heard of it, actually, but I never got around to watching it.
Is it any good?

I never saw it either, but from everything I heard, no. Come to think of it, RD has a review of it up right now.

Ah... I missed that match.
That was the REAL "One Night Stand," wasn't it? The one before they "revived" ECW as a shell of its former self

Right, and I'd IMPLORE ya to check out ONS 2005 and 2006. As a matter of fact, here's a few videos:

Main Event 2005 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5N-Snj0N3E
It's awesome how the fans sing with Sandman's music here, and like I said, the match kicks ass.

Main Event 2006 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiXSh3jj63c
Worth it JUST to see how the hardcore fans react to John Cena. When he throws his shirt into the crowd, they keep throwing it back!

Tanaka vs. Awesome - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhhvmVi-4Go
My personal favorite match from ONS. Has the people chanting "This match rules!"

A few other highlights from the first two ONS:
Jericho vs. Lance Storm
Rey Mysterio vs. Sabu
Edge and Foley vs. Dreamer and Funk

One of my favorites as well!
Actually two of my favorite bits of all time feature him!
The first of the two is him with Dwayne Johnson, and the second is Irvine with Anthony Carelli right after Irvine's return last year.

Ahaha, yes! I love those! Here's another of my favorites: Rock and Lillian. "You get WET..."

I didn't know about him being an asshole IRL. What kind of things does he do?

Well, one of the Diva Search losers turned him down, so he pooped in her gym bag. I am not making this up. Lesse... when they were on tour in Europe last year, he threw a hissy fit and trashed his hotel room. He was dishonorably discharged from the Army before becoming a wrestler, due to going AWOL. Those are probably the worst examples, but there are tons more of him just being a dick in general. If he was anyone they haven't put so much time and money into, he'd have been released a long time ago.

Oh yeah, and regarding the bling belt! I read a few days ago that both Triple H and Orton have tried to get Vince to get rid of it while they were champions. The reason Vince doesn't want to is because it sells so damn well. I think the plastic version of the spinner belt is one of their top 3 best-sellers of all time. It's sad.

And as you can see, I think we're past the point of using the guys' real names. XD
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 03:55:50 PM by Josh »

December 23, 2018, 04:25:33 AM
Reply #10

SoNick

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 04:25:33 AM »
hello I am bumping this topic from 10 years(!) ago and there is nothing you can do about it.

That CM Punk guy was pretty cool, and Daniel Bryan's pretty great as well. I wasn't a fan of Brock Lesnar in his first WWE run, but when he returned a few years back it was pretty amazing and he's been entertaining ever since.

December 23, 2018, 05:22:56 AM
Reply #11

Josh

• Ring connoisseur

• TGC Warrior

• Bring it on home!

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 05:22:56 AM »
Phillip J. Brooks was one of my all-time favorites, and I still miss him. Bryan Danielson has been making the Blue Brand interesting as of late, and I'm so happy he's back. But TBH, 2018 is probably the least wrestling I've watched in literally 20 years!

But hey, Glenn Jacobs is now the mayor of a county an hour away from me, so that's pretty wild!

December 23, 2018, 05:50:33 AM
Reply #12

SoNick

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 05:50:33 AM »
Yeah, I don't think I watched much in 2018 either; life kept me too busy to watch, and with the shows falling on nights I work I've opted not to watch them in the time I have between waking up and heading in to work. I think I remember hearing something about Ronda Rousey joining the WWE earlier this year? She was pretty neat in that Wrestlemania she was in awhile back, hopefully she's doing well in the current WWE environment.

And hey, Jacobs won that election! That's pretty neat. I know he's been involved in politics for awhile now, but I never looked up what his stances are on the issues.

December 23, 2018, 08:18:33 AM
Reply #13

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 08:18:33 AM »
holy shit..

i didn't know a subject about wrestlers could be this in depth.

December 23, 2018, 10:29:47 PM
Reply #14

Josh

• Ring connoisseur

• TGC Warrior

• Bring it on home!

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 10:29:47 PM »
That's a big reason I've always been so fascinated by wrestling, actually. The lore and history runs incredibly _deep_, often much, much deeper than the product actually being presented. In the past 10 years or so, that's actually become more and more a _part_ of the on-screen product, leaning into the meta elements.

Here's probably the most famous example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Screwjob

December 27, 2018, 05:02:10 PM
Reply #15

SoNick

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 05:02:10 PM »
Of course, you've got this weird thing going where half of the time the writers act like anything more than about 5-7 years old never happened and the other half of the time they'll reference it as if it's common knowledge. You just kind of adjust to it the more you watch.