Advanced Search

Author Topic: (DEV) My Next Project, Ranma 1/2 [Insert Pun Surname Here]  (Read 1372 times)

August 27, 2008, 10:11:35 AM
Read 1372 times

Bartman3010

• 3 ring meals a day

• Smash Move: Galatic Punt

• I’m no maaaaaaaatch...

• View Profile
(DEV) My Next Project, Ranma 1/2 [Insert Pun Surname Here]
« on: August 27, 2008, 10:11:35 AM »
Whats the deal with me? I create games based off of anime properties and I'm not really big into it at all. What gives? Also, why Ranma of all things? I can at least answer the second question. I'm up for making an action adventure game that goes beyond rubbing objects on the scenery only to have Ranma go "No, dude, thats stupid." Meaning that I want to make the game where the characters acting plays a role in the game. The game is being developed in Flash.

As Ranma, you must fight to save the town from...something, I'm still working on this bit. To do so, you guide Ranma through his adventure, talking to people, collecting items, gathering clues and of course, fighting those who stand in your way. Everything Ranma is capable of is availible to the player. Including the ability to change into Girl-Type Ranma. Perfect for situations that may require Ranma to don a disguise to fool people. The game is based on grid-like movement, but Ranma can pull off his attack moves with ease with just one button. Rapidly tapping the attack button makes him punch rapidly (Amaburiken) and holding the button lets him use his charge attack (Hiryu Shoten-Ha) The screen scrolls screen by screen. Kind of like Startropics for the NES. Theres going to be a second player option, but I'd like to keep that under wraps.

I'm mostly posting this because I need some help. Not just in ideas, but for some developmental reasons as well. I'm pretty much taking care of all the graphics myself while Yousorrymon is helping me with the code. Right now we've hit a snag in the movement where Ranma moves a tile ahead of where he is normally when he moves to the next screen. Thats really the only problem we're facing at the moment. Well, my other problem is that I'm at college, so I'm having to concentrate more on that than this game.

I would like some comments about the game, and I've got some other stuff I've written I'm willing to share. Like my plans for the story and what not.

Also, I nominate Instant to voice Boy Type Ranma.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 05:50:32 PM by Sz »

August 27, 2008, 06:51:21 PM
Reply #1

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
Re: My Next Project, Ranma 1/2 [Insert Pun Surname Here]
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 06:51:21 PM »
Seems like a cool game. Never been huge into Ranma except reading scans online but seems like a neat concept, and I like the idea of transforming to get different reactions/information out of people. Best of luck with it.

I can't offer a firm commitment of help, but if you have a bug like you mentioned, just send me the source files (e-mail, private link, whatever) and I'll figure it out. Though being a student, I got a huge discount on buying Flash CS3 a while back. I'm also really good at finding problems and fixing them, once I've got a clear goal, my mind focuses like a laser.