Advanced Search

Author Topic: Cisco TelePresence  (Read 13490 times)

March 16, 2009, 11:07:30 AM
Read 13490 times

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
Cisco TelePresence
« on: March 16, 2009, 11:07:30 AM »
So anyway, I've heard about this thing called TelePresence. It's sorta something like this: http://rbcciequest.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/telepresence.jpg . You get to sit around, face eachother, but you could actually be sitting on opposite sides of the globe.
The TVs and cameras are meant to be ultra high resolution and it uses leased lines and guaranteed QoS from the ISP ensuring that there is no delay. I've heard of people who are put off by conventional teleconferencing finding this amazing and in moments they forget that there's anything between them and the person they talk to.

Now you're probably wondering why I'm bringing them up, especially since it costs about a quarter of a million to buy. Well, Ciscos has about 350 TelePresence places set up all around the world, and I happen to know someone who works in Cisco. She says if I wanted to arrange a session, I should talk to her and she implied that we could get it free.

So how about it, any MCers up for a TelePresence session?

By the way, I've been trying to get a full list of the TelePresence locations, but I'll have to talk to her again. I can only find a handful online.

March 16, 2009, 12:15:55 PM
Reply #1

Archaemic

• Ring connoisseur

• aɹ·kʰej·mɪk

• View Profile
Re: Cisco TelePresence
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:15:55 PM »
Wait what. Guaranteed QoS from the ISP? Doesn't that violate net neutrality?

(This list is incomplete)

March 16, 2009, 06:29:26 PM
Reply #2

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 06:29:26 PM »
That's incredible. How cool.

But what do you mean? We'd all head to one of Cisco's offices around the world to use their equipment for a leased amount of time? I suppose I'd try it...
Visit Soaringrabbit.com, home of Soaring Rabbit, a Keio Flying Squadron fansite, Rampaging Feline, which is all about Di Gi Charat, Bombastic Bunny, my blog about technology and stuff, or maybe even Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Veronica's wonderful comic.

March 17, 2009, 12:04:27 PM
Reply #3

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:04:27 PM »
Yeah, I'm going to see if I can a list of all locations of these centres from my contact, but if you live near a very big or capital city, I think there's a good chance that there will be one there. Cool that there's interest.

Arch: I dunno, money talks? (It might be a leased line, I'm not sure of the details).

March 18, 2009, 11:33:04 PM
Reply #4

Spazz

• Ringleader

• peent

• View Profile
    • peent
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 11:33:04 PM »
I doubt this means anything, but:

March 21, 2009, 12:28:09 PM
Reply #5

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 12:28:09 PM »
Hmmm, she was saying that the places could be found using Google Maps, but I couldn't find them, and was unsure if she meant on maps.google.com or on a custom site gadget that used the Google Maps API (did find one such gadget on a Cisco site, but only had 11 entries).

And yeah, that probably is where one of the stations is, New Orleans seems like a big enough city to have one.

March 26, 2009, 11:57:54 AM
Reply #6

Mr. T

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 11:57:54 AM »
I've heard one of the big telecoms here was interested into this, but never actually bothered reading into it.

How sure are you that this would be for free?

March 27, 2009, 10:27:59 AM
Reply #7

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 10:27:59 AM »
Actually, I talked to her since then and found out that there was a bit of a misunderstanding. I apologise.
It turns out, you'd need to know someone in Cisco if you want to maneuver your way into trying out one of these things.
Sorry for misleading everyone, I really didn't intend to be deceptive, though was probably too overenthusiastic.