Advanced Search

Author Topic: (DEV) Neat program idea: Desktop cleaner  (Read 2857 times)

April 16, 2009, 08:32:30 PM
Read 2857 times

'Rixx

• Ringmixers

• Also Jump and Run

• View Profile
    • Battle! Studio
(DEV) Neat program idea: Desktop cleaner
« on: April 16, 2009, 08:32:30 PM »
You know what would be neat? A program that, upon loading Windows, will take every non-shortcut file on your desktop and move it somewhere else depending on its type. Like, it could move image files to "My Pictures", music files to "My Music", etc. - You'd also be able to specify what filetypes go where yourself, as well as have a folder for where files of any other type go. Plus, since it only runs on startup, if you just put a file on the desktop for quick access, it won't go anywhere unless you restart your computer.

Would this be easy to do?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 05:50:18 PM by Sz »

April 16, 2009, 08:51:25 PM
Reply #1

chess!!

• QUEEN

• a kirby of shadow

• View Profile
Re: Neat program idea: Desktop cleaner
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 08:51:25 PM »

I would appreciate this application very much.

April 16, 2009, 09:50:09 PM
Reply #2

Archaemic

• Ring connoisseur

• aɹ·kʰej·mɪk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:50:09 PM »
This would be EXTREMELY easy to do, actually.

(This list is incomplete)

April 16, 2009, 09:58:06 PM
Reply #3

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 09:58:06 PM »
Already on a real OS:

www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php
Visit Soaringrabbit.com, home of Soaring Rabbit, a Keio Flying Squadron fansite, Rampaging Feline, which is all about Di Gi Charat, Bombastic Bunny, my blog about technology and stuff, or maybe even Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Veronica's wonderful comic.

April 17, 2009, 12:29:13 AM
Reply #4

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 12:29:13 AM »
Excruciatingly easy to do. May I introduce you to "dir" ">> outputfile.txt", and whatever-the-windows-move-command-is ... look, it's been a while.

April 17, 2009, 12:47:38 AM
Reply #5

'Rixx

• Ringmixers

• Also Jump and Run

• View Profile
    • Battle! Studio
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 12:47:38 AM »
Well then, someone do it!

April 17, 2009, 02:31:10 AM
Reply #6

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 02:31:10 AM »
I don't develop on Windows machines (except at work!) these days! So no luck!

Anyway, seriously... you can do this Rixx, I believe in you

April 17, 2009, 09:19:17 AM
Reply #7

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 09:19:17 AM »
make move.bat

fill it with:

move C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop\*.jpg C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Pictures\
move C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop\*.doc C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\
move C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop\*.mp3 C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Music\

etc

put the .bat in your Start Menu\Startup\ folder

I am not very sure about how to clean up the rest. Maybe move all .lnk and .pif and whatever shortcut files are to C:\Temp\shortcuts\ then do a move """""\Desktop\*.* to """"""\Desktop\Leftover Files\ then move all those shortcut files back.
Visit Soaringrabbit.com, home of Soaring Rabbit, a Keio Flying Squadron fansite, Rampaging Feline, which is all about Di Gi Charat, Bombastic Bunny, my blog about technology and stuff, or maybe even Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Veronica's wonderful comic.

April 17, 2009, 07:08:50 PM
Reply #8

'Rixx

• Ringmixers

• Also Jump and Run

• View Profile
    • Battle! Studio
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 07:08:50 PM »
Just needed to add quotes, but that seems to have done the trick. Thanks!

Here's what I wound up with:

move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.jpg" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.bmp" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.gif" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.png" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.psd" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.tiff" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.doc" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.rtf" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.txt" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.mp3" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.ogg" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.it" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.mod" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.mid" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\MIDI\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.wav" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Sounds\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.avi" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Videos\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.wmv" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Videos\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.mp4" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Videos\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\*.*" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Desktop\"
move "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Desktop\*.lnk" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\"

It moves all non-specified items to a folder called "Desktop" on the desktop, and then moves all link files in the "Desktop" subfolder back onto the desktop.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 07:13:15 PM by 'Rixx »

April 17, 2009, 08:38:05 PM
Reply #9

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 08:38:05 PM »
Well done, sir.