Advanced Search

Author Topic: WW: Sonic TCG idea  (Read 2593 times)

April 19, 2009, 09:27:04 PM
Read 2593 times

'Rixx

• Ringmixers

• Also Jump and Run

• View Profile
    • Battle! Studio
WW: Sonic TCG idea
« on: April 19, 2009, 09:27:04 PM »
I remember a long time ago, Seph came to me with the idea of co-developing a Sonic-themed TCG. It never really went anywhere, but I had some ideas for it - when bored at work one day, I ended up polishing and refining the idea in my mind a bit, and thought I might share my idea with you all. It's basically a dueling-type game that isn't any more complicated than the old Pokemon TCG. It's not playtested or complete, but I kind of like what I came up with so far. Also, it could pretty easily be adapted to a non-Sonic franchise, or even something original, but it was designed with the Sonic characters in mind.

I'll probably make some card mock-ups later.

The materials needed to play are simple - just the cards and an only occasionally-used six-sided die, and optionally something to physically represent rings.

Basically, the object of the game is to deplete your opponent's supply of rings. The most direct way to do this is to defeat your opponent's characters, which take up rings to put into play - once a character's personal supply of rings are depleted, they are taken out of play. Each player can have three characters in play at once - one leading, and two behind on either side. (There must always be a character in the leading position)

There are three kinds of cards - Characters, Actions, and Items.

Character cards
These are the cards that represent characters on the player's side. In order to put them into play, a character must spend rings from their ring pool in an amount specified by the character card. The rings spent are now 'attached' to the character, and act as HP - if the character is damaged, these rings are discarded.

Every character card has a character type and sub-type - this determines what Action Cards they can play, and sometimes what actions affect them. There are six character types:

Speed - A Speed type character relies on their quick reflexes and ability to act fast.
Power - A Power type character uses their raw strength and combat prowess to succeed.
Flight - A Flight type character uses their unique ability to fly to gain an edge in combat.
Fortitude - A Fortitude type character is highly resistant to attacks of all kinds.
Logic - A Logic type character uses their intelligence to win the upper hand in combat.
Charm - A Charm type character uses their charismatic wiles to support their teammates and hinder their foes.

Sonic, for example, would be Speed type, with Power as a sub-type. Tails would be Flight, with Logic as sub-type. Amy Rose would be a Charm type character, with Speed as her sub-type. This determines what Actions they are able to perform (more on this later).

Every character also has one or two actions they can perform at any time, but only if they are in the lead position (unless the action states otherwise). For example, Knuckles might have a simple punch attack that does 3 rings of damage to any enemy character, and Sonic might have a dodge ability that gives him a 1 in 3 chance of avoiding an enemy attack.

Action Cards
Action Cards contain special actions that can be used by any character that matches their type. They come in two varieties - Low-power and High-power - and always have a single type associated with them. The difference lies in whether or not a character has to match their main type to the Action Card's type or not - for example, both Sonic and Amy could use a low-power Speed type Action Card, since Amy has Speed as a sub-type, but only Sonic could use a high-power Speed type Action Card, since Speed is his main type.

Action Cards can do just about anything - simply read the text on the card and follow the instructions.

Item Cards
Item Cards are similar to Action Cards, except they aren't used by any specific character and don't have a type associated with them. Some of them take effect immediately (I.E. a Ring Box, which restores rings back to your ring pool), but some of them are attached to characters with lingering effects (I.E. a Shield, which protects a character against damage once, and is then discarded).

Game flow

A player can perform two actions on their turn - then they must end it by drawing a card into their hand. The following count as actions:

- Putting a character into play.
If there are any spaces available for a character, the player may spend rings to put a character into play.
- Taking a character out of play.
A character may be taken out of play, and any rings left on them are added back into the player's ring pool.
- Rearranging characters.
The character's formation can be rearranged as the player wishes. Moving a character into the leader spot if it's vacant does not count as an action.
- Performing a character action
The character played in the lead position may use one of their character-specific actions, which is displayed on their card.
- Playing an action card
The player can play an action card, so long as one of the characters in play can use it.
- Playing an item card
The player can play an item card, which either takes effect immediately or is attached to a character in play.

Misc. rules
- Upon defeating an opponent's character, the player may regain 5 rings to their ring pool.
- If a player has more than six cards in his/her hand, they must discard the extras at the end of their turn.
- If a player has no characters left in play and has no character cards left in his/her hand, they must spend 3 rings from their ring pool. He/she then starts drawing from their deck and plays the first character card he/she finds, shuffling the deck afterwards.
- A player may play a character card with fewer than the required number of rings only if they do not have enough rings in their ring pool to pay the full amount.

Other stuff
- Signature Moves: Special Action Cards that can only be used by a specific character.
- Team Actions: Special Action Cards that can only be used when multiple characters of the matching types are in play.
- Machine Characters: Special Character type - immune to all Charm-type actions (including beneficial ones), and susceptible to actions that only affect machines (I.E. EMP blasts or repairs)
- Character transformations: A Character Card that can replace one already in play if certain conditions are met (I.E. Super Sonic if Sonic has Chaos Emeralds attached, or vehicles for Dr. Eggman).

The idea is to keep everything pretty simple and self-explanatory. I think the biggest challenge would be to come up with appropriate Action Cards for the various types, but otherwise I think a game like this could be fun!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 02:24:45 PM by Sz »

April 19, 2009, 10:20:17 PM
Reply #1

'Rixx

• Ringmixers

• Also Jump and Run

• View Profile
    • Battle! Studio
Re: Sonic TCG idea
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:20:17 PM »
Example action cards:

Quick Step
Speed, low-power
Avoid any attack. If your character's in the lead position, roll the die - if the result is 1, the attack hits the teammate on the left, and if the result is 2, the attack hits the teammate on the right. Discard after use if used by a character that isn't in the lead position.

Whirlwind Dash
Speed, high-power
Do 2 rings of damage to all enemy characters, and rearrange their formation to your liking. Discard after use.

Quick Attacks
Power, low-power
Attack an enemy character, doing 2 rings of damage. Then, roll the die - if the result is at least 4, attack again. Repeat up to 4 times. Discard after use if more than 2 attacks result.

Knockout Strike
Power, high-power
Attack an enemy character, doing 3 rings of damage. That character must now return to the player's hand, and any rings left on the character are added back into the opponent's ring pool.

Air Support
Flight, low-power
Attach this action to your character - while it's in play, for all your characters, actions that can normally only target enemies in the lead position can now target any enemy.

Flying Dodge
Flight, high-power
Attach this action to your character - while it's in play, all attacks made at this character have a 1 in 3 chance of hitting (roll the die, getting a result of 5 or 6). Does not apply to Flight type actions or character actions from characters that have Flight as their primary type. Discard after your character gets successfully hit twice.

Endure
Fortitude, low-power
Reduce the damage of any attack by two. Discard after use.

Guts
Fortitude, high-power
Attach this action to your character - while it's in play, if your character's rings are reduced to 0, roll the die - if the result is at least 4, put one ring back on your character, keeping them in play.

Exploit weakness
Logic, low-power
Attach this action to an enemy character. The next attack your character performs has a 1/2 chance of doing double damage. (Roll the die - if the result is at least 4, the attack does x2 damage). Discard this card when this occurs.

Construct
Logic, high-power
Search your deck for any machine-type character and add it to your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward. Discard this card after use.

Deter
Charm, low-power
Your opponent cannot attack this character on their next turn. Discard after use.

Swipe
Charm, high-power
Detach an item from an opponent's character and attach it to your character. Discard after use.

April 19, 2009, 10:32:16 PM
Reply #2

'Rixx

• Ringmixers

• Also Jump and Run

• View Profile
    • Battle! Studio
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 10:32:16 PM »
Sample characters:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Speed, sub Power
15 rings

Character Actions:

Homing attack - Attack any opponent, doing 2 rings of damage. This attack will always connect.

Spin Dash - Spend one action to charge; on the next action, do 4 rings of damage to any opponent.

Miles "Tails" Prower
Fight, sub Logic
12 rings

Character Actions:

Tail Whip - Do 3 rings of damage to the enemy character in the lead position.

Fly High - On the opponent's next turn, all attacks aimed at Tails have only 1/2 chance of connecting.

Knuckles the Echidna
Power, sub Speed
15 rings

Character Actions:

Megaton punch - Spend 3 rings from your ring pool. Attack any enemy, doing damage equal to the added result of 2 die rolls.

Quick jab - Do 3 rings of damage to the enemy character in the lead position or 2 rings of damage to any other enemy character.

April 20, 2009, 02:57:32 PM
Reply #3

Sparkle Tits

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• king of this

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 02:57:32 PM »
Wouldn't it make more sense for Knuckles' sub-type to be Flight (due to his gliding) or Fortitude (due to his strength)?

Otherwise I really like the way this looks :[

Edit: Oh I should mention Seph has been working on this, I guess alone.  His version is a bit different, though.  You should maybe compare notes with him?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 02:10:06 AM by Joshi »

June 03, 2009, 06:22:47 AM
Reply #4

Jessica HawlSera

• Ring connoisseur

• Scribe Of Metamor

• Eye Can See you!

• View Profile
    • The Shifti, Home Of The TSA
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 06:22:47 AM »
I only approve of this idea if Scourge is apart of it.
- This is sure to end in hijinks!
(I'm watching you, I'm always watching you. -)

October 23, 2009, 02:48:36 PM
Reply #5

D.ploms

• Casual ring snacker

• maps love

• [url=http://tierussianwoman.w-ru.com/]married woman[/url]

• View Profile
    • maps love
WW Sonic TCG idea
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 02:48:36 PM »
I consider, that you are mistaken. Let's discuss.