Advanced Search

Author Topic: (DEV) Neat program idea: Book-style PDF/document reader for netbooks  (Read 1840 times)

May 04, 2009, 02:49:16 PM
Read 1840 times

'Rixx

• Ringmixers

• Also Jump and Run

• View Profile
    • Battle! Studio
My stepfather recently got an Acer Apsire One netbook - I'm getting one too, but it's still in the mail. Having an opportunity to mess with it a little, though, I noticed it was about as large and weighty as a hardback book of the same size. In fact, holding it open and sideways like a book just felt a bit too natural.

And so I thought - why not make a PDF reader application that shows the pages sideways, and allows you to flip through them with the arrow keys? It'd be good for taking ebooks with you on the go if you don't have a Kindle or anything similar. The small resolution might prove a problem for PDF files, though, but it shouldn't for text documents, or if intuitive zooming controls are included.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 05:50:27 PM by Sz »

May 04, 2009, 04:44:26 PM
Reply #1

Archaemic

• Ring connoisseur

• aɹ·kʰej·mɪk

• View Profile
Re: Neat program idea: Book-style PDF/document reader for netbooks
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »
These probably already exist. I can think of several things that might meet your description for Linux.

(This list is incomplete)

May 04, 2009, 07:35:00 PM
Reply #2

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
I have kind of thought about this. It's not a great solution but it's interesting enough. I think a better thing would be a Kindle that you opened up like a book.

I used to use my MacBook like this to read journal articles sometimes, though, it's pretty easy on OS X. Just open a PDF in preview, Cmd-R to rotate the document, Cmd-Shift-F to view fullscreen. But we need high resolution screens before this is a great way to read things larger than the size of a paperback.
Visit Soaringrabbit.com, home of Soaring Rabbit, a Keio Flying Squadron fansite, Rampaging Feline, which is all about Di Gi Charat, Bombastic Bunny, my blog about technology and stuff, or maybe even Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Veronica's wonderful comic.

May 04, 2009, 07:57:13 PM
Reply #3

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 07:57:13 PM »
If you have Linux on your netbook (and why wouldn't you??), you can do this in Evince.

As SuitCase says, you can do it on a Mac as well. I suspect there's also a Windows PDF reader with a decent rotate function.

I agree that it's a cool use, and one I didn't even think to check until reading this topic -- so thanks for the heads up.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:59:50 PM by Sz »

May 04, 2009, 08:02:56 PM
Reply #4

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 08:02:56 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/04/amazon-press-event-wednesday-may-6th-see-you-and-then-new-kind/

This seems more fascinating than anything to me. I would really like this kind of device.
Visit Soaringrabbit.com, home of Soaring Rabbit, a Keio Flying Squadron fansite, Rampaging Feline, which is all about Di Gi Charat, Bombastic Bunny, my blog about technology and stuff, or maybe even Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Veronica's wonderful comic.