Advanced Search

Author Topic: inFamous  (Read 14299 times)

May 26, 2009, 01:04:40 PM
Read 14299 times

ila

• Ring connoisseur

• PONYSONA!

• View Profile
inFamous
« on: May 26, 2009, 01:04:40 PM »
I know PS3 owners around here are limited, but has anyone given the game a shot yet? The demo last week was pretty cool, and I'll admit I'd had the game preordered since April. Anyway its off to a slow start, the demo starts you off with max upgrades on your basic powers, so its a bit of a wake up call to get into the real game. Slowly working my way through things, I'm going to try playing Good first since I hear its alot harder than evil.

Brief complaint: why do they even bother to allow games to run at 60fps? It looks amazing when it does, but it only occurs like maybe when I'm looking straight at a wall with the camera zoomed in on Cole's back, or some other strange stance where its not effective at all. I had this complaint about X-Blades too. Why not just lock games at 30fps unless they are actually capable of hitting 60? It just leaves me longing for those instances.

Anyway more to report later. Going a little bit at a time between this and Steal Princess.

May 26, 2009, 10:29:06 PM
Reply #1

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
Re: inFamous
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:29:06 PM »
Played around with the demo last night. It does seem like it'll be a pretty entertaining game. However, I'm holdin out for Prototype right now. Seems like there will be more "playability" in it. Or atleast more WAYS to play. Also, with inFAMOUS, from what I've heard there doesn't seem to be any real high speed movement like cars in GTAIV or webswinging in any of the sandbox Spiderman games. That kind of dampers things a little bit for me, only because I love being able to move at ridiculous speeds for no reason.

I probably will pick it up at some point though. I just fear that we got pretty much "the full experience" from the Demo, simply because they already had almost all of his abilities unlocked for you.

May 26, 2009, 11:43:51 PM
Reply #2

ila

• Ring connoisseur

• PONYSONA!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 11:43:51 PM »
I'm passing on Prototype for now because I figured inFamous would give me the better experience.
Cleared the first island, up to one level before Hero, Champion. It takes forever to gain a Karma level, and I've been especially good, healing anybody that needs it and making sure to always restrain an enemy if I don't accidently kill them first. Storyline is getting a little bonkers, didn't think an explosion could cause this certain groups to go all mental on me, but meh, it happens?

AJ, Cole runs fast enough so you really don't need to worry about lacking high speed movement, but there are faster ways to travel, like grinding on power lines or train rails. Or just riding on top of the train outright. The islands are small enough anyway, so there really isn't anything to worry about.

Plus you know, you can pretty much scale anything. Between the jumping, gliding, and grinding, I'd say there is enough movement to keep the game fun. Speaking of movement, moving around in the game is fun because inFamous manages to keep a tight grip on how things work, yet still make it feel like you're not being locked down, unlike certain games with blue hedgehogs. Actually if there is one thing I've noticed, moving around in inFamous is alot like playing as Knuckles in Sonic Adventure. And thats a good thing.

Anyway, fun game so far.

May 28, 2009, 07:47:25 PM
Reply #3

Shev

• Ring connoisseur

• Pointman

• This is the fun-vee.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 07:47:25 PM »
Is it like Abe's Oddysee?
......[Mercenary Kings]...Steam: TheAngryCello

May 28, 2009, 08:22:12 PM
Reply #4

drak

• KING

• i see hue....

• View Profile
    • itisaneggpudding
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »
Is it like Abe's Oddysee?
I.. uhm. It's probably the furthest thing from Abe's Oddysee you could imagine.

May 28, 2009, 09:07:00 PM
Reply #5

Redrapper

• 3 ring meals a day

• Prepare Yourself

• *Serious Look*

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
My only problem with this game is for a PS3 exclusive, it doesn't offer a distinct Playstation Esque Vibe. Everything in this game seems easily doable on the 360 or like it would fit there as well.

Otherwise, it's easily one of the best entries into the PS3 library so far. Worth every penny. I'm just not getting the Uncharted like "This is SONY ONLY material" vibe from this. Oh well, no biggie.

May 28, 2009, 09:54:35 PM
Reply #6

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 09:54:35 PM »
Your face is SONY ONLY material

I should buy this game at some point. Maybe after uni is over.
Visit Soaringrabbit.com, home of Soaring Rabbit, a Keio Flying Squadron fansite, Rampaging Feline, which is all about Di Gi Charat, Bombastic Bunny, my blog about technology and stuff, or maybe even Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Veronica's wonderful comic.

May 28, 2009, 10:03:41 PM
Reply #7

ila

• Ring connoisseur

• PONYSONA!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 10:03:41 PM »
You know, there are two words that can describe inFamous: Substantial and Insubstantial.

For what there is in the game, running around, doing quick missions, finding random collectibles, climbing buildings and having fun moving around the city. Thats all there. And its all incredibly well done.

However thats it. No real side missions, no activities, you can't even go inside a single building or parking garage. You're either on the street or on a roof, maybe in a tunnel, just running and blowing shit up. Or healing people. The game is lacking in alot of areas. For one, the the entire city could probably fit on one island in Saint's Row 2. And it has maybe 1/10th of the activity to it. Sure I know that this is immediate post apoloalypse, but you figure there would be something to do around the place aside from kill random hooded guys.

Also, the moral choice system once again has about as much depth as moving a slider back and forth, except this time the slider is really big and moves really slowly. Still, I'm not going to fault the system like Penny Arcade and Buckley do, because trying to make a game where you can choose the moral gray is a feat that I doubt we'll ever see fully done in a game. (Except in Nocturne)

Overall the game is fun, and worth buying, but I can't help but feel that more could have been done with the game. Still, with the way the game left off I'm betting at least 1 sequel is on the way.

May 30, 2009, 08:41:31 PM
Reply #8

Zodberg

• Should go on a ring diet

• Playing it bogard.

• the day Adorable won

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 08:41:31 PM »
sounds like a license game

or one of those games that's good, but mosly just a demo for theinevitable sequel.