Advanced Search

Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid 5???  (Read 25845 times)

May 27, 2009, 12:30:14 AM
Read 25845 times

Yoko Oh-no!

• Ring connoisseur

• isn't silve

• this doesn't make me gay

• View Profile
Metal Gear Solid 5???
« on: May 27, 2009, 12:30:14 AM »

So we're finally getting news on the next metal gear.  Looks like it's going to feature both Raiden and Big Boss (it's not solid snake mind you)

Higher quality shot of big boss.  Holy shit that blows all the mgs4 models out of the water!!  That looks like...UT3.  Oh man, if this game turns out to be a BIG BOSS + RAIDEN game with both of them controllable in different gameplay styles....that would be so amazing....I wonder what the fuck this means...some people think that that's actually Gray Fox but it doesn't really look like him...

The Kojima Productiosn Podcast has been hinting that this WILL be a "new game", and how much they "can't tell us about the next metal gear yet".  It sounds like Kojima has no interest in making a substance version of MGS4 actually...also he's said that he doesn't want to make another Snatcher/Policenauts game or remake.

I wonder if it'll be a reboot or if big boss will actually be playable.  I was worried I'd never hear David Hayter's voice in a videogame again.

You can check out the teaser site here.  It started out as a field in the middle of the day and it's been getting darker and darker.  Interesting to note the thunder and lightning motif, of which raiden takes his namesake.  (Also, that looks way more detailed and different than ANYTHING in mgs4)  I'm guessing that they're going to do crazy shit with outdoor environments in the next game.  Kojima was talking about wanting to do a game with actual physics for his NEXT project.  They made quite a few American hires recently....I really love how open alot of these grand japanese companies are being towards us westerners.  :)

We're supposed to get more info leading up to and at e3.  Excitement!!

May 27, 2009, 02:24:03 AM
Reply #1

Ashuku

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
Re: Metal Gear Solid 5???
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 02:24:03 AM »
MGS5: Raiden's Quest: Origins

May 27, 2009, 03:24:52 AM
Reply #2

Ksuno

• 3 ring meals a day

• :|

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 03:24:52 AM »
From the Famitsu "Interview" that Kotaku posted, Kojima is in charge of "everything." Here's hoping that he'll have learned from MGS4 and won't make this one so much of a movie than a game.
Physics makes us all its bitches.

May 27, 2009, 04:34:19 AM
Reply #3

L_Master562

• Casual ring snacker

• Warranty Voided

• Maniacal Laughter

• View Profile
    • Slow Going Media Reviews.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 04:34:19 AM »
Hmmmmm...... Raiden still seems pretty cyborgized in this. Didn't they rebuild him human in the end of 4? Well, all things considered it would be hard to bring back old snake, but wasn't there a solid snake clone in Acid 2?

May 27, 2009, 06:16:01 AM
Reply #4

Yoko Oh-no!

• Ring connoisseur

• isn't silve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 06:16:01 AM »
no he was given cybernetic arms in 4.  if you look he's got the cybernetics underneath his skin in the hospital at the end.

Also that's not old snake, that's BIG BOSS.  Learn the difference, son!

May 27, 2009, 06:24:05 AM
Reply #5

Yoko Oh-no!

• Ring connoisseur

• isn't silve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 06:24:05 AM »
This week's issue of Japanese magazine Famitsu features an interview with Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima about his new project. Make that a censored interview with Hideo Kojima. Can you decipher it?

When speaking with Famitsu Editor-in-Chief Hirokazu Hamamura, Kojima apparently revealed more than he originally intended about his new title. Hamamura asked Kojima if Famitsu could run the full interview. Kojima agreed as long as the mag censored the important stuff. And Famitsu did just that.

Below are excerpts we translated. Each "X" refers to a corresponding white circle Famitsu used to blot out important info. If you are planning on filling in the blanks, do keep in mind that they refer to a single Japanese character.

Hamamura: XXXXXXXXX's XXXXXX?
Kojima: But, XXXXXXXXX. It's XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
Hamamura: Ah! I get it!!
Kojima: "XXXXX XXXXX XXX". Well, it's not "X", but a "X" kind of feeling. That's him. I can't say the title yet, but it's this kind of feeling. But it's the Metal Gear saga's tradition.
Hamamura: The time period is XXX?
Kojima: No, it's XXX. I'm saying everything, maybe XXXXX. I'm designing and directing all of this game.
Hamamura: Wha!
Kojima: I think the focus will be domestic, and we're launching it globally. For me, this is like "XXXX". I won't say "X", but a solid story has been created, and the MGS4 staff is making it.
Hamamura: Wow! That's great.

Kojima: This time, only the image of this guy (image) will appear. Then lighting. Just this appearing, I wan everyone to guess. This is how XX's will be appearing.
Hamamura: This...is Big Boss?
Kojima: XX's way of appearing is slightly different.
Hamamura: Eh? Different...?

Kojima: The emblem on this guy's hat is important.
Hamamura: The emblem isn't a fox. There's like a world map thing drawn.
Kojima: It's not only an emblem, but for the game, it will be a new type of system.
Hamamura: Is it XX-XXXXXXXXXX?
Kojima: Yes. You'll while XXXXXXX. XXXX, etc. are a given, so they'll be included. Ooops, I've said more than I was planning to. (laughs)
Hamamura: Hahahahaha! Well XXXXXX, it's XXXXXXX? Also, where's the game going to be set?
Kojima: The place is XXXXXXX. XXXXXXXXX happened, and it's a XXXXX type of country. There isn't XXXXXXXX in the country, but they do have XX like things and XXXX. At that time, XXXXXX come to where the guy is.

Kojima: The theme is XX. XXXXX kinda thing or XXX theme, or XXXXXXXXXXXX, or why is there X, that's where we're drawing. Maybe everyone is probably thinking, "This sermon again!" Maybe this sermon will become a genre. (laughs)
Hamamura: Ahahahaha!
Kojima: This is quite a deep interview.
Hamamura: So true!

edit:
apparently this is the translation:

[spoiler]

Hamamura: Metal Gear Solid Four's Ending?

Kojima: But, it's not over. It's just beginning the tale.

Hamamura: Ah! I get it!!

Kojima: "Old Legends Die". Well, it's not "Snake", but a "Snake" kind of feeling. That's him. I can't say the title yet, but it's this kind of feeling. But it's the Metal Gear saga's tradition.

Hamamura: The time period is After 4?

Kojima: No, it's during. I'm saying everything, maybe the true finale. I'm designing and directing all of this game.

Hamamura: Wha!

Kojima: I think the focus will be domestic, and we're launching it globally. For me, this is like "the finale". I won't say "end", but a solid story has been created, and the MGS4 staff is making it.

Hamamura: Wow! That's great.

Kojima: This time, only the image of this guy (image) will appear. Then lighting. Just this appearing, I wan everyone to guess. This is how he will be appearing.

Hamamura: This...is Big Boss?

Kojima: Snake's way of appearing is slightly different.

Hamamura: Eh? Different...?

Kojima: The emblem on this guy's hat is important.

Hamamura: The emblem isn't a fox. There's like a world map thing drawn.

Kojima: It's not only an emblem, but for the game, it will be a new type of system.

Hamamura: Is it Raiden-Based Action?

Kojima: Yes. You'll while sneaking. CQC, stun gun, etc. are a given, so they'll be included. Ooops, I've said more than I was planning to. (laughs)

Hamamura: Hahahahaha! Well Otaclone, it's Alive? Also, where's the game going to be set?

Kojima: The place is not the same. War happened, and it's a desperate type of country. There isn't Metal Gears in the country, but they do have weapon like things and bombs. At that time, battle come to where the guy is.

Kojima: The theme is loss. Metal Gear kinda thing or death theme, or the loss of life, or why is there war, that's where we're drawing. Maybe everyone is probably thinking, "This sermon again!" Maybe this sermon will become a genre. (laughs)

Hamamura: Ahahahaha!

Kojima: This is quite a deep interview.

Hamamura: So true! [/spoiler]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:29:23 AM by Serendipity »

May 27, 2009, 08:12:56 AM
Reply #6

Piers

• Ring connoisseur

• You've little time left.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 08:12:56 AM »
Oh, right, I see.

its a prequel

May 27, 2009, 08:20:27 AM
Reply #7

ila

• Ring connoisseur

• PONYSONA!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 08:20:27 AM »
It's like The Land Before Time.

May 27, 2009, 08:30:52 AM
Reply #8

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 08:30:52 AM »
Phenominal.

You know ... If that is Big Boss, he looks a lot different than his last model which looked identical to Solidus. This looks way more like it's based off of Solid now.

Still though. A new Metal Gear game. That's grand.

May 27, 2009, 06:20:01 PM
Reply #9

Shev

• Ring connoisseur

• Pointman

• This is the fun-vee.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 06:20:01 PM »
Well, shit. My fandom just did a break dance.
......[Mercenary Kings]...Steam: TheAngryCello

May 27, 2009, 06:31:06 PM
Reply #10

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 06:31:06 PM »
Boring characters. I wanted Metal Gear Ocelot. Too bad they ruined his character in MGS4.
Visit Soaringrabbit.com, home of Soaring Rabbit, a Keio Flying Squadron fansite, Rampaging Feline, which is all about Di Gi Charat, Bombastic Bunny, my blog about technology and stuff, or maybe even Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Veronica's wonderful comic.

May 27, 2009, 06:39:54 PM
Reply #11

Keith Stack

• Ringmaster

• The prettiest.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 06:39:54 PM »
Boring characters.

Big Boss

I like how SuitCase is the modern day Andrusi.

May 27, 2009, 06:45:14 PM
Reply #12

Mirai Zikasu

• Ring connoisseur

• Wanderluster

• 心無きの戦士

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 06:45:14 PM »
This calls for a celebration dance.

Naked Cartwheel! D:

May 27, 2009, 06:53:40 PM
Reply #13

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 06:53:40 PM »
Boring characters.

Big Boss

I like how SuitCase is the modern day Andrusi.
Why would you be excited about Big Boss, though? We already had the Big Boss MGS game, and it was absolutely fantastic. No need to revisit the character, even with nanomachines.
Visit Soaringrabbit.com, home of Soaring Rabbit, a Keio Flying Squadron fansite, Rampaging Feline, which is all about Di Gi Charat, Bombastic Bunny, my blog about technology and stuff, or maybe even Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Veronica's wonderful comic.

May 27, 2009, 07:00:02 PM
Reply #14

L_Master562

• Casual ring snacker

• Warranty Voided

• Maniacal Laughter

• View Profile
    • Slow Going Media Reviews.
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 07:00:02 PM »
I like big boss. And there is a whole lot of characters they can play with. I'm looking forward to this game.

Serendipity, of course it looks like Big Boss with that eye patch where it is and the famitsu stuff certainly supports that, I was just saying there was a clone of Solid Snake floating around somewhere. Brought that up because I really doubted they could bring Old Snake back. Considering Old snake had the whole rapid age degeneration/foxdie thing going on of course and a really short life expectancy I would doubt they would suddenly negate that. Then again, the time this games takes place is suspect and Big Boss seemed to die at the end of 4. And again, Kojima said he didn't want anyone touching Solid/Old Snake besides himself, but he seems to be handling all of this game himself. So who knows what/who will crop up?

And on Raiden, it doesn't look like he still had the cybernetics, just looks like he went through a lot of surgery to get put back to normal. Then again, I just skimmed back through a youtube vid, so low res and all. So I might be missing something still and I haven't finished the game in a while.

May 27, 2009, 07:17:07 PM
Reply #15

Yoko Oh-no!

• Ring connoisseur

• isn't silve

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 07:17:07 PM »
But Sunny killed all the nano machines.

Also I'm willing to bet alot of the shit we don't like are a result of the people he works with, from what it sounds like kojima doesn't want to just do "long cutscenes anymore" and he's more interested in interactive stories.

Yeah raiden just got cybernetic arms.  he's still a cyborg.

I'm wondering if this is a "new snake clone" or something.  I just want one snake.  I don't care.  I need snake in my life.

May 27, 2009, 07:17:56 PM
Reply #16

Piers

• Ring connoisseur

• You've little time left.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 07:17:56 PM »
Will admit that Raiden, on first glance just seems in there because he is in there. But Solid Snake has already been resolved, both with himself and his duty, for good. So Big Boss...

Oh wait,
[spoiler]Didn't he die?[/spoiler]

Nonetheless, I am particularly interested to see how the gloomy fields play out. The longish grass did strike to me before realising it is MGS as being used for stealth.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:22:18 PM by Piers »

May 27, 2009, 07:21:20 PM
Reply #17

Yoko Oh-no!

• Ring connoisseur

• isn't silve

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 07:21:20 PM »
yeah from what it looks like Kojima doesn't want to do another game about "solid snake".  Solid snake is an older character of his but big boss is someone he "crafted" after he'd already matured as a story teller so he probably has an interest in working with that character over the other one.

yeah big boss died but...cloning!!

I really hope they leave nanomachines out of the games forevers.  It sounds like kojima doesn't want to even have metal gears in it anymore.

May 27, 2009, 08:00:12 PM
Reply #18

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 08:00:12 PM »
I feel like Kojima would do better to start again. Why not? He finished Metal Gear now, more or less. He should make another original storyline with crazy politics and conspiracy theories. And no more giant robots.

May 27, 2009, 08:24:22 PM
Reply #19

Myst

• Should go on a ring diet

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 08:24:22 PM »
I want a 3D remake of the original Metal Gear for NES.

May 28, 2009, 12:18:03 AM
Reply #20

Evan IN SPACE!

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 12:18:03 AM »
The problem with MGS4 to me wasn't so much that it was "too much of a movie" or any of that shit. I haven't played it myself of course, but while the other three were for the most part self-contained stories that you could understand for the most part just playing it singularly, you would have no fucking clue what was going on in MGS4 without prior knowledge of the series.

Actually I can't even say for MGS2 as I haven't played that one yet either but even THAT seems like it's more self-contained than MGS4. There are always gonna be things you won't quite get without prior knowledge of the series in these games, but MGS4 was not only the worst in that regard, the fact that they were pushing it as the PS3's killer app just makes that fact even worse--it meant anyone new who wanted to jump into this series would be totally fucking lost.

I think there's still stuff they can do with Big Boss and explain Outer Heaven and maybe give a little backbone to the convoluted backstory of MGS4. Explain how he broke off from the Patriots and formed his ultra-soldier-land or something. He does have the Outer Heaven logo on his beret, so...who knows. Raiden being there kind of fucks everything up but whatever. I will just be watching the cutscenes on Youtube like I did with the last game anyway!!!

May 28, 2009, 02:57:40 AM
Reply #21

Shev

• Ring connoisseur

• Pointman

• This is the fun-vee.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 02:57:40 AM »
Aside from the hilarity that is nekkid flipping Raiden, you really didn't miss out on much. He will always be there due to time paradox. Nekkid, if possible.

Now I want me a Dracula's slayin' game. Lunar Knights doesn't count.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:59:40 AM by Shev »
......[Mercenary Kings]...Steam: TheAngryCello

May 28, 2009, 05:18:17 PM
Reply #22

Magi

• Ring connoisseur

• watashi wa kira dess

• it ain't easy bein' cheesy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 05:18:17 PM »
Another entry is the Metal Gear saga isn't that surprising considering Kojima has been hinting at it for a year now and basically said "there will be more metal gear games in the future"

I'm just wondering how it's going to be handled.

May 28, 2009, 07:26:43 PM
Reply #23

HEDGESMFG

• Enjoys a hearty bowl of rings each morning

• Captain Bright demands an explanation for this...

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 07:26:43 PM »
I'm going to put my 2 cents in here...

While the evidence is very very scattered, and 2 images tells us almost nothing... I'm of the opinion that the two faces we see here are indeed Gray Fox/Big Boss. The brown eyes and silver hair match up with Gray Fox's regular appearance, and Raiden's ninja armor was developed by a character (Dr. Madnar) who appeared in the MSX Metal Gear 2. Who's to say that an earlier version wasn't made in the 80s/90s for Fox to use? (Do note that he had a Ninja armor of sorts in the 70s during Metal Gear Portable OPS)

If I'm right, we could certainly be looking at the early signs of a game set between Metal Gear 1 and Portable OPS...