Advanced Search

Author Topic: SERtek: Getting New laptop | Software Recommendations?  (Read 23808 times)

June 01, 2009, 08:57:10 PM
Read 23808 times

Corey

• Ring connoisseur

• meat stain on a white shirt

• ACCEPT YOUR IDENTITY, BOY

• View Profile
    • SEGA's Victims
SERtek: Getting New laptop | Software Recommendations?
« on: June 01, 2009, 08:57:10 PM »
I should be ordering a new (PC) laptop for school within the next few days. I was wondering if any of you ring addicts had any software recommendations for my cheap, efficient piece of chinese silicon goodness?

Here's a list of what I'm thinking of currently.

Office 2007 Professional (Eternal Trial Edition)
Deepburner
Pidgin
Google Chrome
CA Security Suite 2009
Magic Workstation (Online MtG client.)
Steam
Conficker
Hamachi (Thanks Joshi!)
City of Heroes (Not sure when I'll actually subscribe.)
Flyff (A lot of irl friends play it.)
Project64
SNESGT
VBA-M
Phantasy Star Online:Blue Burst
Foxit Reader (.pdf reader; a lot smaller than adobe reader)

Ubuntu
Hackintosh Leopard

Also, are there any better alternatives to some of these on the list?

On another note, I also plan on having Ubuntu installed for some dual boot stuffs. I don't know too much about it, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tl;dr = Software suggestions, go, go, go!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 02:30:11 PM by Saga »
O o

June 01, 2009, 09:06:25 PM
Reply #1

Sparkle Tits

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• king of this

• View Profile
Re: SERtek: Getting New laptop | Software Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 09:06:25 PM »
i would probably recommend against conficker.

June 01, 2009, 09:23:33 PM
Reply #2

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 09:23:33 PM »
osx86

I mean it.
Visit Soaringrabbit.com, home of Soaring Rabbit, a Keio Flying Squadron fansite, Rampaging Feline, which is all about Di Gi Charat, Bombastic Bunny, my blog about technology and stuff, or maybe even Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Veronica's wonderful comic.

June 01, 2009, 10:42:03 PM
Reply #3

Corey

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • SEGA's Victims
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 10:42:03 PM »
osx86

I mean it.

If I'm going to be running a system with a shit OS, I'll at least save $500.
O o

June 01, 2009, 10:45:02 PM
Reply #4

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 10:45:02 PM »
It's amd64 anyway, do Macs even run on that?

June 01, 2009, 10:51:25 PM
Reply #5

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 10:51:25 PM »
I dunno. You should look it up though!
Visit Soaringrabbit.com, home of Soaring Rabbit, a Keio Flying Squadron fansite, Rampaging Feline, which is all about Di Gi Charat, Bombastic Bunny, my blog about technology and stuff, or maybe even Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Veronica's wonderful comic.

June 01, 2009, 11:13:37 PM
Reply #6

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 11:13:37 PM »
Nope, I run Linux!

June 01, 2009, 11:18:38 PM
Reply #7

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 11:18:38 PM »
I kinda meant Saga.

June 01, 2009, 11:24:14 PM
Reply #8

Awakened

• Enjoys a hearty bowl of rings each morning

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 11:24:14 PM »
Snes9x
Visual Boy Advance
Try out SNESGT (latest beta). It has a nice basic Windows GUI like SNES9x, but is much more accurate, while not resource heavy like BSNES. Be sure to read the readme which contains the steps to get what the emulator needs to read zipped roms.

Vanilla VBA is old as hell, use VBA-M instead. The sound is so much better. Check the readme with that if it doesn't run for you.

June 01, 2009, 11:27:33 PM
Reply #9

Corey

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • SEGA's Victims
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 11:27:33 PM »
As far as I know, Mac is only compatible with Intel and PowerPC CPUs. I'm not going to spend much effort to really find out. I wasn't too impressed with my brother's Mac.

I can't think of too many things I would want to do that I would need a Mac for. Garageband is cool, but I prefer the compatibility of Windows. Also, that dock stuff looks like a cluttered mess; it would likely send me into OCD overdrive.
O o

June 01, 2009, 11:29:46 PM
Reply #10

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 11:29:46 PM »
Well, the OS and apps are better. It'd certainly be a better choice than UBANTO as a secondary OS.

June 02, 2009, 12:32:29 AM
Reply #11

Corey

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • SEGA's Victims
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 12:32:29 AM »
Snes9x
Visual Boy Advance
Try out SNESGT (latest beta). It has a nice basic Windows GUI like SNES9x, but is much more accurate, while not resource heavy like BSNES. Be sure to read the readme which contains the steps to get what the emulator needs to read zipped roms.

Vanilla VBA is old as hell, use VBA-M instead. The sound is so much better. Check the readme with that if it doesn't run for you.

Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely be checking VBA-M out. I'm still not completely sold on SNESGT, but very interested.

Well, the OS and apps are better. It'd certainly be a better choice than UBANTO as a secondary OS.

I noticed some topics on the forums of the site you linked talking about install issues with the laptop I'm getting. They seem to be trying multiple builds, so I'll check it out some more. I guess Mac will do as a tertiary OS.
O o

June 02, 2009, 01:01:22 AM
Reply #12

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 01:01:22 AM »
Oh, well, unless someone can recommend that OSX86 works on your particular model of computer, I'd avoid it. Sorting out drivers is a nightmare and nullifies a lot of the whole Mac experience.

June 02, 2009, 01:11:19 PM
Reply #13

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• AKA "RobS" and something Epoch

• Tamadachee

• View Profile
    • Sonic Epoch (and more)
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 01:11:19 PM »
I guess Mac will do as a tertiary OS.

Well, c'mon now.  Are you just trying to please Suitcase or do you honestly want to experiment?  You should probably boot it in a virtual machine to see if it could be what you want.  (True for any other OS for that matter.)  I always find that anything below the primary OS becomes very rarely used and extremely experimental; after all, do I want to really think hard every time I boot the system about what OS I want?  The primary one will quickly become configured and loaded and more likely than not will be the one you use 99.9% of the time.  So unless you're a software developer (are you?) I can only imagine that a "tertiary" OS is going to float way down and be ignored except when someone or some situation calls you specifically to it.

I made a promise to run Linux mostly because I got scared of the whole Conficker business.  I also bought a new laptop and put 4GB of RAM in it which prevented Windows XP from installing.  (Blue screen during setup.)  I had avoided change out of laziness.  I finally went cold turkey back in March with Ubuntu and have not gone back since.  I personally enjoy the full ability to customize Linux systems, and really find it incredibly usable.  It still has some situations that require a bit of command line work, but the command line is far less required compared to the way it used to be... and, of course, a great deal of hardware support and availability of precompiled apps is always a blast.

I've never used Mac OS X and have no opinion of it.  I suppose I should try it just for record, but currently am very happy with where I'm at.  And if you find Windows does everything you want, and you don't have any other objection to it, there's no reason to even install Ubuntu.  If you just want to play with wandering around a Unix like world, do a virtual machine or install Cygwin or something.

Some of the software on your list either has a Linux native/equivalent or could possibly run under WINE.  It's definitely helpful to have a machine to test the latter on first.  I will admit I lost a few programs I would prefer to have due to no Linux version and no WINE support.

Truth be told, I've been tired of Windows for a while, if for no other reason than they always charge so much for it, and then now they do the whole "activation" thing and Windows Genuine Advantage and whatever... but it always did what I needed, and will have the greatest support.  If you're not committed to really trying to change how you use your computer then I don't see the point other than the occasional check-it-out with a VM.
Super Mario Bros. 3Mix: http://sonicepoch.com/sm3mix/
"Now what are you up to?!" "Eh, about 3'4", give or take an inch. Heheh, little joke there..."

June 02, 2009, 07:59:37 PM
Reply #14

Zodberg

• Should go on a ring diet

• Playing it bogard.

• the day Adorable won

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 07:59:37 PM »
Vuze
what's the standard compression client?

June 02, 2009, 10:31:58 PM
Reply #15

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 10:31:58 PM »
Don't listen to Suitcase, he's full of something. The appeal for Apple is the hardware and the fact the operating system "just works", neither of which are in play on a non-Apple.

OSX on non-Apple computer is only for those with an unhealthy amount of brand loyalty. You'd almost certainly be better served with Ubuntu as a backup OS, presuming that you had a list of good applications for the thing.

June 02, 2009, 10:47:42 PM
Reply #16

Corey

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • SEGA's Victims
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 10:47:42 PM »
Vuze
what's the standard compression client?

I use 7zip for compression stuffs.
What exactly is Vuze? I see that it plays video, but is it also doing other things?
O o

June 05, 2009, 12:24:13 AM
Reply #17

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 12:24:13 AM »
I think Vuze is Azureus with a different splash screen. Get utorrent (or whatever they call it now) instead.

Don't listen to Suitcase, he's full of something. The appeal for Apple is the hardware and the fact the operating system "just works", neither of which are in play on a non-Apple.

OSX on non-Apple computer is only for those with an unhealthy amount of brand loyalty. You'd almost certainly be better served with Ubuntu as a backup OS, presuming that you had a list of good applications for the thing.
I don't think the appeal is the hardware - it has advantages, but a steep disadvantage in the price, and so what it's often rationalised as is that "you're paying for OS X" (or at least, "paying to operate OS X legally without having to spend 5 hours a day looking for hacked drivers on the insanelymac.com OSX86 forums").

I don't think it's unreasonable to want OS X on everything. It's not just brand loyalty. I am dependent on a lot of Mac-specific programs, and I am used to (and more proficient at) operating OS X than any other platform. It's generally better thought out than anything else, and is easier to become proficient at using, and has a lot of unique programs that are way beyond the equivalents you can find on other platforms.

Of course, none of that counts when you're familiar with Windows and better at Windows and have data held in Windows-specific programs. There's a learning curve in switching, and I think it's terrible to plunge into the Mac world with the added annoyance of having to deal with OSX86 driver incompatibility bullshit, which is why people should buy real Macs instead.

Still, I recommended Saga consider trying it out if it were compatible, because it's not so bad and might be worth opening is mind to.

June 05, 2009, 12:31:47 AM
Reply #18

Corey

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • SEGA's Victims
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 12:31:47 AM »
Still, I recommended Saga consider trying it out if it were compatible, because it's not so bad and might be worth opening is mind to.

Full agreement. Dual/tri-booting mac on a compatible PC is both reasonable and advantageous.
O o

June 05, 2009, 12:52:29 AM
Reply #19

Epon

• I don't come here anymore.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 12:52:29 AM »
I have a Dell Mini 9 running OSX (it installs out of the box no problems... no crazy drivers or ktexts, etc).

At first I was all pumped to have a Mac running on hardware that Apple supports, but as I've used it more and more, I just realize that I can do everything I want on a Windows machine much easier and faster. I'm not knocking Apple, but Windows 7 is just what's right for me. I'm not an idiot who downloads stupid shit, so infection vectors are almost non-existent.

From Rob's point of view, I do agree about multiboot systems. Developing software for multiple mobile phone environments was a bitch because of the requirements .NET and Object C force on you (in regards to WinMo and the iPhone platform, respectively). You NEED to develop in Leopard... and it has to be Intel-based, not PPC. To do anything in .NET requires Windows (don't talk to me about the application layers that exist for *nix... I'm not here to pull teeth about emulation shit). And quite frankly, it's understandable... but that was a main reason why I wanted to do an Hackentosh in the first place.

As for your laptop software, as this is what it's originally about, I highly recommend Synergy if you use a desktop frequently. Check it out! http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

June 05, 2009, 02:52:47 AM
Reply #20

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 02:52:47 AM »
A netbook isn't necessarily a productivity machine.

June 05, 2009, 09:37:31 PM
Reply #21

Epon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 09:37:31 PM »
When its hooked up to a keyboard, mouse, and 22" monitor it damn-sure is. I'm not making Star Wars 65 on it.

June 08, 2009, 11:59:58 PM
Reply #22

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 11:59:58 PM »
That's weird.

June 09, 2009, 12:27:42 AM
Reply #23

Epon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 12:27:42 AM »
aka cheap and effective?

June 09, 2009, 12:28:57 AM
Reply #24

Epon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 12:28:57 AM »
I mean... prostitutes aren't the most elegant ways to get laid... but in terms of return on investment, it's much cheaper than pursuing some prude cunt for weeks! This is just like that.