Advanced Search

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes  (Read 13477 times)

June 07, 2009, 12:15:39 AM
Read 13477 times

Awakened

• Enjoys a hearty bowl of rings each morning

• View Profile
Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes
« on: June 07, 2009, 12:15:39 AM »
Some of you have probably heard about Square-Enix's C&D letter over this ROM hack. It was some fans' attempt to bridge the gap between Trigger and Cross (or not; there are multiple endings in the hack). Because of the C&D they stopped developing it at about 98%. But why should you care?

It's actually pretty damn good. The plot is interesting and the dialogue well written. Something they've focused on plot wise that Trigger didn't is how badly things can get messed up by changing things in the past. And there are a few choices you get at certain points that greatly affect the eras you visit later. From what I've seen so far it looks like it has quite a bit of the Trigger feel to it.

They've done some really nice work with CT's assets by making lots of new maps and some overworlds. There's one chapter where you go to Zeal at night (one year before it fell...) and can see stars in the background on the overworld map :) They even added a few new sprites. There are very few seams, and the ones that are there would have been sorted out in future revisions.

The thing I'm not sure of is the difficulty of battles. It sounds like you would have had to grind for quite a few boss battles, which is not Triggery at all. They say this hack is made for people who've already played CT a lot and want something harder but... :/

While you can't play the 98% version of the hack, they've been releasing parts of a video walkthrough on youtube. He's playing a New Game + so you don't see the difficulty level of battles. You can also track down an earlier version out there that was leaked but wasn't as finished.

The playlist link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSTpkMB9kNk&feature=PlayList&p=E952926C2A6E7039&index=1

So far new parts have been added daily.

June 07, 2009, 12:51:01 AM
Reply #1

Yoko Oh-no!

• Ring connoisseur

• isn't silve

• this doesn't make me gay

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 12:51:01 AM »
they'll probably secretly release it and then say that they had nothing to do with that leak

chrono cross sucked

June 07, 2009, 01:14:10 AM
Reply #2

Leo

• A girl like you's just irresistible

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 01:14:10 AM »
chrono cross was the best. sorry that you have bad opinions.

June 07, 2009, 01:30:52 AM
Reply #3

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 01:30:52 AM »
Leo why are you so wrong.

Actually I don't really think Chrono Cross was bad at all, but it wasn't originally intended to be a direct sequel as such and trying to shoehorn it into that role midway through its development was a Bad Decision™.

In regards to this, I think they should accidentally leak the source/script and let somebody else do the legwork. Whatever the C&D says, there's no way it includes tracking down every copy of the thing that has made its way around the tubes.

June 07, 2009, 02:06:12 AM
Reply #4

ila

• Ring connoisseur

• PONYSONA!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 02:06:12 AM »
chrono cross was the best. sorry that you have bad opinions.

Anyway shame about the C&D, but thats the risk that comes with devoting time to messing with intellectual property.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 02:09:37 AM by ila »

June 07, 2009, 03:28:34 AM
Reply #5

Magi

• Ring connoisseur

• watashi wa kira dess

• it ain't easy bein' cheesy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 03:28:34 AM »
I think it's pretty obvious how I feel about Cross by now.

Anyway it sounds neat but I would have really hoped Square didn't turn into douches about the Chrono franchise and stifle every fan thing about it.  I'd much rather play something like that than to just watch some dude play it.

June 07, 2009, 01:58:41 PM
Reply #6

HEDGESMFG

• Captain Bright demands an explanation for this...

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 01:58:41 PM »
Ugh...

They really need to pick up the hint and take the franchise further if they intend to kill fan-projects like this.

June 07, 2009, 03:55:54 PM
Reply #7

Piers

• Ring connoisseur

• You've little time left.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 03:55:54 PM »
Ugh...

They really need to pick up the hint and take the franchise further if they intend to kill fan-projects like this.

And decide to base tech demos on games everyone wants a remake of.