Advanced Search

Author Topic: ART: Fan Art for Persona 4 and Giant Bomb's Endurance Run by...me?  (Read 3633 times)

June 19, 2009, 02:33:07 PM
Read 3633 times

Bartman3010

• 3 ring meals a day

• Smash Move: Galatic Punt

• I’m no maaaaaaaatch...

• View Profile
I have to admit, I think Persona 4 is the best RPG ever made. I usually hate them, or they kind of peter out mid-way. But...wow. What a game.

So hey, about that art. I figured it'd be a good idea to show the four main characters gathered around to play the game. With the main guy playing the game, and very tired. Yosuke sits next to him eating the orange cupcakes and Chie being the motivational support of the team holding onto the Luchadeer head. Yukiko is...missing because I ran out of room on the paper I was drawing on. (Sorry ila) I'll get her in eventually. Obviously the character proportions are wrong, theres no color and some minute details are missing. But its probably as good as it gets with me.

Not too bad, but I wish I could get Chie's perspective down right. Plus hands are really hard to do for me.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:22:50 PM by Sz »

June 20, 2009, 08:54:20 PM
Reply #1

Sparkle Tits

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• king of this

• View Profile
Re: ART: Fan Art for Persona 4 and Giant Bomb's Endurance Run by...me?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 08:54:20 PM »
It reminds me of the hunt.

June 20, 2009, 08:55:41 PM
Reply #2

Squishdiboo

• Ringmaster

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 08:55:41 PM »
Um. . .

Here's a question I have to ask.

I don't want to be mean or anything, I really don't.  But uhm.  If there are so many things wrong with this drawing, and you have so many excuses for what's wrong with this drawing, why do you feel the need to show it off?  Why wouldn't you try to get a drawing done "right," one that you're honestly proud of and have no excuses for, that you think looks good and you think other people might enjoy? The way you talk about it, drawing is not your thing, and I'm just so curious as to why you mentioned this in another unrelated thread, as well as your sig.

Do you. . . want criticism?  Do you just. . . want somebody besides you to see it?  Would you like some advice on how to improve?  I'm just. . . I'm not sure I understand.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 08:58:40 PM by Squash »

June 20, 2009, 09:07:15 PM
Reply #3

Sputnik

• Ring connoisseur

• no

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 09:07:15 PM »
Some constructive criticism - draw a wireframe skeleton before drawing the actual characters, and try to make it somewhat coherent. That way you can deform the proportions if you want (these are cartoon characters after all), but the gestures and such will look more natural. Also, use your own body for reference: some people are taller, some people are shorter and definitely cartoon proportions are not realistic, but the general structure (which bones are longer, which are shorter) is often universally true - the exact ratio varies between races, complexions and whether we're drawing manga-style, American superhero style, etc. etc., but what's important is that the general hyerarchy still holds.

As for perspectives, I know I'm the only person who does this, but I like to have a schematic plan and elevation of what I'm trying to draw so I can just draw some construction lines and I know where everything fits. You must also have a clear idea of the 2d plans which form the picture and the distances between them - kind of like a parallax scrolling BG.

June 20, 2009, 09:09:36 PM
Reply #4

Squishdiboo

• Ringmaster

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 09:09:36 PM »
Hmm yes.  And limbs tend to be rather straight, even when the joint is bended.

Is the girl in the foreground falling over?'

Oh, I really like the luchadeer's head.  It looks pretty nice.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:12:18 PM by Squash »

June 20, 2009, 09:15:05 PM
Reply #5

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 09:15:05 PM »
Presumably he posted it because he wants useful criticism, Squish.

I don't think it's terrible, I guess. The thing that needs the most work is proportions.

June 20, 2009, 09:16:48 PM
Reply #6

Squishdiboo

• Ringmaster

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 09:16:48 PM »
Well I would normally assume that, but then I see things like  "Obviously the character proportions are wrong, theres no color and some minute details are missing. But its probably as good as it gets with me." And that shows me that he didn't really try very hard?  Or that's the best he can do, and he knows that, and no criticism would really help. He pretty much knows what's wrong with the drawing, but that's all he's going to do with it, is what I get from this.

June 20, 2009, 09:25:16 PM
Reply #7

Sputnik

• Ring connoisseur

• no

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 09:25:16 PM »
People need to feel kind of safe about what they do in order to keep improving. Acknowledging that what you do isn't perfect in advance is a defensive move that helps you feel safe. Plus that way criticism comes in a "as you said etc etc and I think you should etc etc" way instead of "there's so many things wrong with this".

But I won't deny it's also a useful cover for lazyness.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:29:44 PM by piob valve #F4e »

June 20, 2009, 09:28:25 PM
Reply #8

Squishdiboo

• Ringmaster

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 09:28:25 PM »
Well sure.  I tend to say "yeah I couldn't quite get this or that right" but it's a bit different from "this is the best you'll get out of me" I think.

I dunno, maybe I'm just a huge perfectionist dick.   :(

June 20, 2009, 09:31:28 PM
Reply #9

Sputnik

• Ring connoisseur

• no

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 09:31:28 PM »
People tend to confuse being realistic with being pessimistic, I guess. I used to do this a lot (maybe I still do?)

June 20, 2009, 11:49:49 PM
Reply #10

Mirai Zikasu

• Ring connoisseur

• Wanderluster

• 心無きの戦士

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 11:49:49 PM »
To be honest, it needs a lot of work as far as structure and proportion.  I would suggest getting a posing mannequin in the future so that you can make the basic form of various characters, put that on paper, and then flesh out the characteristics of whomever you draw.  Figure out how many heads compose a character as that gives very clean and accurate proportions.  The character in the front looks like her head is twice as wide as the two in the back.  Furthermore, her head looks like it's malformed due to the oblong shape above her bangs.  Here is an old diagram of mine showing the basic shape of the human body and how it looks from different perspectives.

If hands are a problem, study your own hands with the form or gesture you want.  That, or get a friend to pose, and get a picture.  What's-her-name in the front has her hand contorted in such a way that it's painful to try and replicate the pose in real life.

As for perspective, try what Sputnik suggested or draw something from scratch using a one/two perspective.  Also, adjust your line thickness based on its distance from the point of view.  That helps to create depth.  Overall, I would suggest working on a lot of basics for your future drawings.

It reminds me of the hunt.

Joshi, if I ever get a Fairly Odd Parents cosplay group together, will you screw up your teeth and do Dunsworth?  If you bring Squish along too, the con will make her so sour that she'll be great for Vicky.

June 21, 2009, 12:03:01 AM
Reply #11

Myst

• Should go on a ring diet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 12:03:01 AM »
Can I be in the cosplay group?

June 21, 2009, 12:37:47 AM
Reply #12

Sparkle Tits

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• king of this

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 12:37:47 AM »
I would be honoured, Mirai.

June 21, 2009, 12:50:49 AM
Reply #13

Squishdiboo

• Ringmaster

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 12:50:49 AM »
I'd make a much better Tootie.

June 21, 2009, 12:33:39 PM
Reply #14

Bartman3010

• 3 ring meals a day

• Smash Move: Galatic Punt

• I’m no maaaaaaaatch...

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 12:33:39 PM »
I agree, the proportions of the characters is what really troubles the art. I've figured I should re-draw the entire thing. Although the style of the characters is kind of there, its that perspective that I cant seem to get quite right. I figure I should try to put in some basic models and then try to fill in the better details that way, starting with the background and working my way up to character poses and then filling in the details.

I am so proud of that Luchadeer though. Hopefully you guys know why Chie is carrying it in the first place. Plus I just looked at the picture on the Bombcast page for reference. Thats very nice.

The guys in the background, they're fine-ish. The heads look fairly accurate, but the fingers could use some work, thats pretty much my only other problem is to not make them too stubby. Perhaps I should straighten out the ends rather than curving them.

Still, you guys can tear it apart any way you wish. I know it doesnt look great. I havent really drawn anything in awhile. At least something that isnt Simpsons related. At least none of them have a funky overbite.

Also, I'll try and use that guideline paper Mirai. I might also look into a mannequin for poses. (Probably a good idea to get some actual drawing tools, while I'm at it.)