Advanced Search

Author Topic: stopsay.in & dontru.in, the new destination for righteous meme police  (Read 1229984 times)

July 30, 2009, 09:47:37 PM
Read 1229984 times

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
I made these two websites. The URLs are compact (that's stopsay.in, no www., no .com) and are intended for linkage in everyday internet conversations where someone tries to be clever and fails. Words on stopsay.in are unforgivable trespasses, words on dontru.in are words in danger of being made unfunny due to poor usage.

Here are some retroactive examples of the site in action, culled from search results on this forum:

Do you like waffles?
NO! stopsay.in/waffles

Cheesy fudge cake is a lie
Cheesy fudge cake is a lie...
UGH! stopsay.in/cakeisalie

Watch for the lulz, read for the background.
INAPPROPRIATE! dontru.in/lulz

The only person who Tokkan has met who he knew/heard of on the Internets is Taeshi (Vero-chan). Clearly, that is srs bsnss. Srsly. He's met one person from the Intarnet.
IDIOT! (This one has two possibilities! For instance, you could link this person to stopsay.in/intarnet or stopsay.in/internets. Also, I would like to write a page for "srsly" later.)

See the full list at stopsay.in/list.

Now that I have put several of you on the defensive, what are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:12:17 AM by Squishdiboo »
Visit Soaringrabbit.com, home of Soaring Rabbit, a Keio Flying Squadron fansite, Rampaging Feline, which is all about Di Gi Charat, Bombastic Bunny, my blog about technology and stuff, or maybe even Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Veronica's wonderful comic.

July 30, 2009, 09:54:53 PM
Reply #1

Mirai Zikasu

• Ring connoisseur

• Wanderluster

• 心無きの戦士

• View Profile
It's about as worthless as TV Tropes and equally anal.

...or are you doing it for the lulz?

July 30, 2009, 09:58:18 PM
Reply #2

Corey

• Ring connoisseur

• meat stain on a white shirt

• ACCEPT YOUR IDENTITY, BOY

• View Profile
    • SEGA's Victims
Is all your base really used much anymore? I would think it would make the list about five years ago, not so much now.

I'd suggest mudkipz.
O o

July 30, 2009, 10:09:51 PM
Reply #3

Leo

• Enjoys a hearty bowl of rings each morning

• A girl like you's just irresistible

• View Profile
This has the potential for some highly satisfying usage. I probably would have put lulz on stopsay though.

July 30, 2009, 10:20:28 PM
Reply #4

H Hog

• Administrator

• can't enjoy his sandwich

• hwa~owh!

• View Profile
    • Coldflame
Agreed with Leo. Fucking hate the word "lulz"

Xbox Live: H Hoguera  --  NNID: HHoguera  --  PSN: H_Hoguera

July 30, 2009, 10:30:37 PM
Reply #5

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
I'll third lulz.

Also derp and blurf. Hurf is okay though

July 30, 2009, 10:32:27 PM
Reply #6

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
This has the potential for some highly satisfying usage. I probably would have put lulz on stopsay though.
Did you read the article on it? It's sad and annoying that you don't even think of the original definition anymore.
Visit Soaringrabbit.com, home of Soaring Rabbit, a Keio Flying Squadron fansite, Rampaging Feline, which is all about Di Gi Charat, Bombastic Bunny, my blog about technology and stuff, or maybe even Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Veronica's wonderful comic.

July 30, 2009, 10:34:19 PM
Reply #7

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
Did you read the article on it? It's sad and annoying that you don't even think of the original definition anymore.

omg and the original definition of counterfeit isn't thought of either!

Words/memes are defined by consensus.

July 30, 2009, 10:40:41 PM
Reply #8

Leo

• View Profile
No, I did. But the word is like "transpire" or "decimate" at this point. It's been wrenched so far from its original definition that people are just going to automatically think of the current usage when they hear it.

July 30, 2009, 10:54:24 PM
Reply #9

Fadflamer

• Global Moderator

• That Guy With The Milky Plush

• That's as many as Four Tens. And that's Terrible.

• View Profile
    • BleistiftAnsatz Sissy - Dead Autism Forever
It's useful for some I would think.

I would be surprised to see people using certain memes from over 3 years ago anymore.  It always seemed like the really really old memes truly died off, but I could be wrong with that.  I don't hang in the right places to see stuff like 'all your base' still in use.

July 30, 2009, 11:46:21 PM
Reply #10

Artwood

• Ring connoisseur

• And then they were gone

• View Profile
Re: stopsay.in & dontru.in, the new destination for righteous meme police
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 11:46:21 PM »
One wonders of the status of The Game.

July 30, 2009, 11:47:40 PM
Reply #11

Archaemic

• Ring connoisseur

• aɹ·kʰej·mɪk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 11:47:40 PM »
It's useful for some I would think.

I would be surprised to see people using certain memes from over 3 years ago anymore.  It always seemed like the really really old memes truly died off, but I could be wrong with that.  I don't hang in the right places to see stuff like 'all your base' still in use.

I still see people reference AYB sometimes.

Oh also, series of tubes.

(This list is incomplete)

July 30, 2009, 11:58:17 PM
Reply #12

Fadflamer

• Global Moderator

• That Guy With The Milky Plush

• That's as many as Four Tens. And that's Terrible.

• View Profile
    • BleistiftAnsatz Sissy - Dead Autism Forever
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 11:58:17 PM »
I guess I'm not in the right places to see it.

In that case, harass away.

July 31, 2009, 12:20:44 AM
Reply #13

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 12:20:44 AM »
No, I did. But the word is like "transpire" or "decimate" at this point. It's been wrenched so far from its original definition that people are just going to automatically think of the current usage when they hear it.
I don't think it's so severely destroyed that the original usage has been abandoned. It's still prevalent on ED. I wish to rescue it, as best I can. Don't you sometimes employ bits of obsolete language you enjoy, even when it requires dogged determination and occasional explanation in order to circumvent their newer, worser meaning?

Series of tubes is a good one. The Game, while a horrible, stupid meme, probably doesn't belong. I guess you could put the phrase "you just lost the game" there..

July 31, 2009, 12:47:50 AM
Reply #14

Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 12:47:50 AM »
I don't think it's so severely destroyed that the original usage has been abandoned. It's still prevalent on ED. I wish to rescue it, as best I can. Don't you sometimes employ bits of obsolete language you enjoy, even when it requires dogged determination and occasional explanation in order to circumvent their newer, worser meaning?

As much as I love etymology and obsolete language and all the rest of it, I'm not really a fan of crusading against incorrect usage. I mean, sticklers complain about people misusing "begging the question" all the time, but they're never going to get rid of the new meaning. It's just too widespread.

e: And as for annoying memes, have you considered "Good sir"?

July 31, 2009, 12:51:07 AM
Reply #15

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 12:51:07 AM »
I would be someone who'd get a bit indignant about "begging the question". As I tried to explain on the /list page, I think the role people like me play is important, if not the ultimate word. There's a fine line between wanting to retain the fascinating meaning of lulz and self-consciously referring to a bundle of sticks as a faggot, but I think I stay above it.

How do people use "good sir"?

July 31, 2009, 12:56:43 AM
Reply #16

SoNick

• 3 ring meals a day

• Seeking applications for new profile picture

• View Profile
    • SoNick's vaguely coherent ramblings
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 12:56:43 AM »
I'm really not sure what to think of this; on one hand I agree with most of the opinions represented on the site but on the other hand the whole thing comes across as rather arrogant and dick-ish.
In any case, you may want to fix the following typo on the "Can has" page:
If you’re trying to make a vaguely hip\ironic meme reference, realise that for all abut the idiots, this one is over.

July 31, 2009, 12:59:38 AM
Reply #17

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 12:59:38 AM »
Thanks for that. In fact, I want to proofread all of these a few more times and would appreciate anyone pointing out awkward phrasing, typos, anything like that. Most were written on noisy public transport without a great deal of care. I did tidy them before posting it online but there may be certain problems and I'd appreciate hints if anything you read sounds bad.

July 31, 2009, 12:59:59 AM
Reply #18

Archaemic

• Ring connoisseur

• aɹ·kʰej·mɪk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 12:59:59 AM »
wait

Why is over 9000 on the "don't ruin" list? That one's been run into the ground for over a year.

(This list is incomplete)

July 31, 2009, 01:06:16 AM
Reply #19

Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 01:06:16 AM »
I would be someone who'd get a bit indignant about "begging the question". As I tried to explain on the /list page, I think the role people like me play is important, if not the ultimate word. There's a fine line between wanting to retain the fascinating meaning of lulz and self-consciously referring to a bundle of sticks as a faggot, but I think I stay above it.

Hey, I'm down. I guess personally I just prefer to fight on the side of entropy.

How do people use "good sir"?
Just as a general sort of address. "Well played, good sir." "Thank you, good sir." "That was a most amusing youtube link, good sir." That sort of annoying fake-gentlemen ohohoho-aren't-we-clever sort of tone.

I think people are sort of dimly aware of how annoying it is though so it might be on the way out already.

July 31, 2009, 01:09:37 AM
Reply #20

evan

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 01:09:37 AM »
I love most of the link text. Especially where "the furry community" leads to on the babby page.

July 31, 2009, 01:14:30 AM
Reply #21

SuitCase

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
    • Soaringrabbit.com
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 01:14:30 AM »
I agree, good sir is decent and should be "stop saying". Are there variants of this? Chap, maybe?

I personally think over 9000 is funny when used in moderation. It's definitely on its way out, though. But I want to try to rescue things I can still be amused by.

July 31, 2009, 01:30:01 AM
Reply #22

Sparkle Tits

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• king of this

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 01:30:01 AM »
"My good chum" stands out in my mind as a variant, if only because it was used in Futurama.

July 31, 2009, 03:19:02 AM
Reply #23

evan

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 03:19:02 AM »
The actual original OVER 9000 video is still very funny to me, but people actually saying the quote or saying that something is actually over 9000 itself is very, very painful to me. A lot of jokes are like that with me, really. I can still giggle at the whole ALL YOUR BASE thing, even after like a decade or two, but any references to it are just painful and at this point just come off like a grandpa trying to be hip with this dang old internet thing.

Really, much like Portal jokes, Zero Wing's bad translation is perfectly amusing within context but saying any of the lines outside of its original context generally leads to groans. All Your Base jokes and "A winner is you!" jokes are pretty much token "video game script writers trying to be cool and appeal to their userbase" jokes. Like, even fucking Mario and Pokemon reference those now.

July 31, 2009, 03:44:17 AM
Reply #24

TonicBH

• douchebag facial expression - THIS IS NEXT-GEN

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 03:44:17 AM »
Might I throw a suggestion for "For the win": "Only say it if you're on Hollywood Squares and you need Martin Mull to win the game and $1,000." Especially since that's the likely origin of the phrase.