Advanced Search

Author Topic: Blaze's other MIDI remastering thread  (Read 12848 times)

July 25, 2011, 07:22:06 PM
Read 12848 times

BlazeHedgehog

• Ring connoisseur

• Do Blue Hedgehogs

• Dream of Electric Eggs?

• View Profile
Blaze's other MIDI remastering thread
« on: July 25, 2011, 07:22:06 PM »
So Sepwich went down and took with it all my music! But then me and Ashuku decided to start up our own website and now I have space again, at least for a little while. So rather than have a thread full of broken links, let's make a new thread. If you're interested in some of the older stuff I've made, I'll be putting select pieces up on Tindeck for now.

But we're not here to talk about that old stuff, we're here to talk about the newer stuff! Unfortunately the new host doesn't let me sort by date uploaded so I don't remember what order these went in to the folder.

Mother 3 - Sunflowers and Illusions (Original MIDI by Rexy)
Mother 3 - Dangerous Guys (Original MIDI by Rexy)
I had a request from Drak to do more Mother 3 music, so I sifted through some M3 MIDIs and picked these two out. VGmusic.com had a ton more and I'll probably dig through those over the next few months, because hey, why not.

Knuckles Chaotix - Walkin' (Original MIDI by ???)
I guess this could be considered more of a "doodle" than anything. I like the lead instrument, but the rest of the song could probably use some work.

Windows XP - Flourish (Original MIDI by ???)
I should probably stop going back and redoing old stuff like this, but I can't help it. So yeah, one of the default Windows XP MIDIs, re-remastered. Sounds a bit nicer than the old one, which I would link, except it doesn't exist on the internet anymore! Oops!

Final Fantasy VII - Barret's Theme (Original MIDI by Square-Enix)
Another request from a friend. The horns at the start of this are really hard to get right, so don't be surprised if I revisit this one at some point.

Metroid Fusion - Sector 4 Underwater (Original MIDI by Beartheshadows)
Haunting ambiance. I like it.

Sonic Colors - Planet Wisp, Act 1 Arrangement (Original MIDI by Dave Harris and Aivi Tran)
Man, I like the way this one turned out. This is a pretty great MIDI. My drums could be a little more accurate, but I've always been super clueless with drums. Did the original Planet Wisp use the amen break or something? I dunno. Maybe I'll fool around with this some more. Definitely don't like the distortion guitar bit, but there's not much I can do about that. I spent an hour trying to find the right "sound" for that and that's the best I could do.

Edit: Slightly updated Planet Wisp Act 1 Arrangement
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:45:36 AM by BlazeHedgehog »

September 16, 2011, 11:01:50 PM
Reply #1

BlazeHedgehog

• Ring connoisseur

• Do Blue Hedgehogs

• View Profile
Re: Blaze's other MIDI remastering thread
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 11:01:50 PM »
It's that time again!

Sonic Legends - Sky Sanctuary (Original MIDI by Jarel Jones)
The recent Sonic Generations trailer lead me to go back to some music created for an old project called Sonic Legends, which was actually kind of like Sonic Generations now that I think about it! The idea was that the "best levels" from the Genesis games would be remade with increased color dept. There were polls and everything on what levels were going to be used and everything. I had a bunch of music remixes made by a couple of friends... and then the project went nowhere! Surprise! This remix was one of the more "safe" remixes, but I liked it anyway.

Sonic 2 - Oil Ocean (Original MIDI by King Meteor)
Was trying to go for the same style of sound in the old Hilltop MP3 everybody likes. Spent multiple days trying to get this to sound "right". Turned out pretty good, I think!

Final Fantasy VII - Anxious Heart
Maybe I already did this one? I can't even tell anymore. I should just break down and try doing the entire OST one of these days, really. I've probably done close to a quarter of it by now. Re-listening, I think I meant to fix a part of this that I forgot to. Maybe you'll notice it! And maybe you won't!

Sonic - Hidden Palace "Dueling Palaces" (Original MIDI by Jarel Jones)
Another one of Jarel's old MIDIs. I don't think this one was intended for Sonic Legends, but I decided to mess around with it anyway. Kind of reminds me of the stuff he did for SRB2.

Super Mario RPG - Here's Some Weapons! (Original MIDI by King Meteor)
This one probably needs more work, but it's good enough to show for now.

December 29, 2011, 09:34:55 PM
Reply #2

BlazeHedgehog

• Ring connoisseur

• Do Blue Hedgehogs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 09:34:55 PM »
Jazz Jackrabbit - Holiday Hare '94: Stage 2 (Original MIDI by MaliceX)
Wanted to do something Christmassy. A bit simple, but it came out alright-ish. Not entirely sure about those drums, but Jazz Jackrabbit drums are something that's hard to replicate.

Knuckles Chaotix - Botanic Base (Original MIDI by King Meteor)
Decided to revisit this in an effort to improve it. I keep going back and forth on whether or not the Rhodes piano in this was a good idea. I may revisit it again at a later date.

Final Fantasy VII - A Secret Sleeping Deep in the Sea (Original MIDI by Squaresoft)
Decided to put Garritan Personal Orchestra to more use now that it seems to be working mostly-fine. I think all instruments in this but one are GPO, and it sounds real good.

Final Fantasy VII - Crazy Motorcycle (Original MIDI by Squaresoft)
Revisting this. That weird distorted synth is really hard to get right. Definitely will go back to this one.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Hoohoo Village (Original MIDI by Keith Kosh)
Been watching Medibot and Kaz do a co-op playthrough of M&LSS, where they use a Gameboy Player and one person controls Mario and the other controls Luigi. Decided to do this.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Teehee Valley (Original MIDI by Dave Phaneuf)
Same deal as the above. I think this one came out better than Hoohoo Village, simply for the nylon guitar used.

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - Overworld (Original MIDI by TryceSirus)
Sometimes, I do these just to make the crappy, grainy MIDIs just sound nicer, and this is one of those cases. It still sounds... dry? For a lack of a better term? Like, still obviously kind of MIDI. I think it's the pan flute. Still, it sounds better than it did on the DS, and I'm not sure how to improve it.

Donkey Kong Country - Jungle Japes (Original MIDI by King Meteor)
And the coup de grace. I think I'm finally happy with the way the trumpets a quarter of the way through the song sound, so I'm considering it finished. I personally love the hell out of the way it turned out, though the bass might be a little thick. Tindeck link.

July 21, 2012, 09:50:47 PM
Reply #3

BlazeHedgehog

• Ring connoisseur

• Do Blue Hedgehogs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 09:50:47 PM »
HEY. Since this started I have begun posting these on my Tumblr. If you would like to hear these as they are posted, I really suggest you follow me there! I will also be linking to Tumblr from here when I update this thread. If you want to download any of the MP3s I post on Tumblr, I suggest something like DownloadHelper for Firefox, or whatever a similar equivalent would be for Chrome.

Final Fantasy VII - The Prelude
Not the most complex song in the world, but I enjoy the way it turned out. I'm getting better with orchestral instruments.

Sonic 2 - Oil Ocean Zone
I think I did this one previously, but like a lot of the songs I've been doing lately, I went back and gave it a second try. Tried for a bit of a middle-eastern flavor, while still keeping it funky. I can't remember if that was something in the original MIDI, but it's something I think fits pretty well.

Final Fantasy VI - The Decisive Battle
Found the "Hardcore" VST for FL. Simulates real distortion pedals for acoustic guitar. Been playing with that.

Sonic 1 - Labyrinth Zone
An actual Tindeck link this time! Part of the reason I go back and redo these is because I hear them come up in my own collection and think, "That sounds cool, but I bet I could do better." Hence why I did this.

Shinobi 3 - Japonesque
A friend slyly requested I do this. I'm not entirely sure I like the way it turned out, but it turned out well enough that I felt like posting it. Something about the main flute still kind of bugs me, though...

Sonic 4: Episode 1 - Lost Labyrinth Zone
Runbuttonpodcast.com is doing a "20 years of Sonic" Let's Play and when they got to Sonic 4, I got the itch to make this. Turned out nicely! I think I tried to do this one before and it turned out like crap, too, so double bonus, I guess.

Space Harrier - Theme
For some reason this one isn't turning up when you search the "Remastered" tag, probably because I privated it for a little while before putting it up so I could add album art and such. As it says, I am clearly just aping Cinossu, who posted his a few hours prior. :p

July 26, 2012, 07:51:02 AM
Reply #4

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 07:51:02 AM »
i woke up with that crazy motorcycle song stuck in my head, and knew i would find it in this thread. even though i never clicked on it before, i knew for some crazy reason it would be in here. some crazy motorcycle reason.

July 26, 2012, 10:10:53 PM
Reply #5

BlazeHedgehog

• Ring connoisseur

• Do Blue Hedgehogs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 10:10:53 PM »
It's what I'm here for.