Advanced Search

Author Topic: Hi everyone.  (Read 8640 times)

October 31, 2012, 12:40:01 AM
Reply #50

Squishdiboo

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
Re: Hi everyone.
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2012, 12:40:01 AM »
Oh.  Hey everybody.  I'm actually doing pretty good lately.  I have a job working customer service and cash registers, and in spite of my social anxieties I actually am pretty competent at customer service and human interaction.  I've made friends with people outside of my comfort zone, and have people to spend time with, and I don't have anything too serious to cry or complain about lately.  So for the first time in maybe ever I'm feeling fairly independent, and unusually confident and stable.  Hooray.  I spend most of my time when I'm not working either hanging out with friends or on Facebook, and I'm trying to save up some money so maybe one day I can finally learn to drive a damn car and do things entirely on my own.  So yeah. . . hi.

October 31, 2012, 11:51:21 AM
Reply #51

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• AKA "RobS" and something Epoch

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2012, 11:51:21 AM »
Good for you!  That sounds like some great personal development.  Interestingly I've found I can suppress my social anxieties in professional situations fairly easily ... something about no longer being me, but just being a cog of a machine or something.  Whatever works for you.

October 31, 2012, 11:55:03 AM
Reply #52

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2012, 11:55:03 AM »
But when word got out that I drove 1,000 miles (you know to see friends, family, support my friend's business that I used to work at), they twisted the story and made it into "This man drove a THOUSAND MILES to play a VIDEO GAME". (So basically, I single-handedly put us all back twenty years in the stereotypical eyes of the media. You're welcome). It was funny, but annoying at the same time.

Insert "Lamestream Media Bias" joke.

Workin' a job I hate down here and trying to get my business thing going. It's been goin' pretty well thanks to donations from friends (including some of you guys). I started a tumblr as well to basically cover my progress of the ever so slowly growing business.

I wish you had brought this up sooner.  About three months ago, I decided to thin out my game collection and donated my SNES titles and system as well as some old Gameboy and GBA components in favor of emulated versions.  The SNES might not have been saleable as it was haphazardly modded to play Japanese Super Famicom titles (a copy of Rockman & Forte), but had I known, I would've kept them for a better cause.

i'm in college and currently living in japan for a year as an exchange student. it's pretty alright!! i've got one year of college left after this one, and then after that ~~who even knows~~

Ooh. Found a good maid cafe, yet?

Oh my, my greatest regret. Well if you come across other stuff I'll take whatever. Games, movies, strategy guides, cds.

Sofox: Is this gonna be strictly App Store, or do you plan on pushing it for Google Play as well? (I wish it was still called "Android Market")

November 02, 2012, 08:45:41 PM
Reply #53

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2012, 08:45:41 PM »
Ohhhh, first chapter preview?

Actually, if you send me the current version of it, I could proofread/critique it for you. I've actually been doing a surprisingly large amount of writing critique recently, mostly short works or individual chapters or excerpts, but if you've got a full sci fi novel to read, I'm game!

Angling for a free copy I see. Nice try! ;p

It's probably a little late in the game for regular critiques, to be honest. I'm going to put it out on the Kindle and B&N web store soon, after my current round of editors come back and tell me how awesome it is (or isn't). I'm also planning on doing something... different... in regards to a gradual (free) online publishing, since publicity is the most important thing.

That said, I totally will need guinea pigs to make sure the e-book works on their devices, and since this is going to be purely electronic unless it becomes a huge success I'll be open for general critiques and "hey parsecs is a unit of distance, wtf?" comments for a little while, and release a 2nd edition if I committed any monumental errors.

November 02, 2012, 09:41:12 PM
Reply #54

Seph

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2012, 09:41:12 PM »
Short reply 'cause I'm busy. Glad to see most of you are doing reasonably well. Good luck with your business, AJ; if I had any old games I were willing to part with (I really only have my old Sonic collection which I want to keep), I'd send them your way. I'll ask friends for you.

Drak: I have a friend in Japan right now who is teaching English for a company named Amity. She's enjoying herself; I hope your experience is similarly fun.

Sz: Plug away at it, man. I hope you find success.

Squish: I've seen you grow over the last couple of years. I agree with Rob, I'm happy for you.

If I missed you: you're rad. Go rock the world.
-Seph
Want to see what I'm working on?

November 03, 2012, 01:19:55 PM
Reply #55

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2012, 01:19:55 PM »
That would be pretty awesome. If you need my address or something just send me a PM.

Also, I don't know how up to date that collision test engine is in your sig, but I got curious here at work. It seems to work pretty well but the two things bother me. One, if you fall through a platform, or simply walk off, you can't perform the air jump.  Just feels like if you can do a double jump, you should be able to jump at least once if you fall off a platform or drop through it. The second thing is holding up and jumping everytime you land. I dunno why, but I feel that it should only jump upon each press, not while continously holding down. Sorry if that is nitpicky, but it was there, so figured why not!

November 03, 2012, 02:55:54 PM
Reply #56

Seph

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2012, 02:55:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! It's fairly old now, almost two years old, but I may still use it someday. The underlying code is solid -- I had about fifteen to twenty people hammering at it so I could make it non-buggy -- so it's reusable if I return to Flash.

But even without the engine, it's good to know what players expect when they play something like that. So thanks again.
-Seph
Want to see what I'm working on?