December 01, 2012, 09:54:48 PM
Read 19004 times

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
Wii U
« on: December 01, 2012, 09:54:48 PM »
Anybody got this? I know Joshi does. I just got one today, and am setting it up and what not.

If anyone DOES have it, what are your IDs and what not?

December 01, 2012, 10:00:41 PM
Reply #1

Josie

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• Queen of This

• View Profile
    • Mastodon Lion Thunderzord Power
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 10:00:41 PM »
My ID is "bluejoshi". Always remember to add through Miiverse instead of the friends list. That way it alerts the person you're trying to add.

December 01, 2012, 10:09:46 PM
Reply #2

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 10:09:46 PM »
SimplyAJ is mine. Now to ... find Miiverse.

December 02, 2012, 04:30:53 AM
Reply #3

Shinmera

• 3 ring meals a day

• un-FUCKING believable!

• View Profile
    • tymoon.eu
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 04:30:53 AM »
I'm not sure if I should get it for myself, as I don't often have anyone to play with, so ya.
It's mostly the inevitable gadget aspect that's pulling me, but I think I'll have to pass for now.

December 02, 2012, 11:08:09 AM
Reply #4

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 11:08:09 AM »
It looks pretty cool, and I'm excited, but I'm a little nervous. The only game I'm interested in right now is the Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing one, and the price of the console is pretty high, its causing me to hesitate.

December 02, 2012, 03:48:14 PM
Reply #5

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• AKA "RobS" and something Epoch

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 03:48:14 PM »
the price of the console is pretty high

At launch:
Playstation 3: 20 GB model priced at $499, and a 60 GB model at $599
XBox 360: "Xbox 360" package priced at $399, the "Xbox 360 Core", priced at $299
Wii U: Basic: $299.99, Premium: $349.99

Average-to-low price as far as I'm concerned for a newly released console.

But being an owner of one, I can tell you that the tech is pretty neat, perhaps in line with Shinmera's comment of "gadget aspect" ... they're trying a lot of neat stuff that I'm assuming will be best proven in the next year or two.  The included tablet controller allows you to interact with the core system more like a dynamic remote control (heck, it can even BE a functional remote for your TV) and will probably be best realized once some more of the media features come online.  The continuous connection to the built-in online community is interesting ... in my experience playing NSMB U, you can comment or read comments from people who have been to the level you're about to enter or have completed.  It's just kind of fun to shout out your accomplishments or difficulties.  And kind of surreal when my sister who had gotten ahead of me had a comment show up when I arrived.

I've seen ZombiU which uses a sort of augmented reality aspect of looking through and moving the tablet controller around as a "scanning" device, which is something that I'm sure will be explored upon more.  Nintendo Land also uses it as a way of interacting with the 3D world or as a private view port for an interesting take on multiplayer, e.g. in a "chase" game where the one to be chased is running off the tablet and the others are just running around trying to catch them.

I think there will be some great and unique experiences on the Wii U and then a bit after that Microsoft and Sony will come out with their own takes on the idea that are not as popular, that seems to be the current pattern.

December 02, 2012, 03:58:05 PM
Reply #6

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 03:58:05 PM »
the price of the console is pretty high

At launch:
Playstation 3: 20 GB model priced at $499, and a 60 GB model at $599
XBox 360: "Xbox 360" package priced at $399, the "Xbox 360 Core", priced at $299
Wii U: Basic: $299.99, Premium: $349.99

Average-to-low price as far as I'm concerned for a newly released console.

But being an owner of one, I can tell you that the tech is pretty neat, perhaps in line with Shinmera's comment of "gadget aspect" ... they're trying a lot of neat stuff that I'm assuming will be best proven in the next year or two.  The included tablet controller allows you to interact with the core system more like a dynamic remote control (heck, it can even BE a functional remote for your TV) and will probably be best realized once some more of the media features come online.  The continuous connection to the built-in online community is interesting ... in my experience playing NSMB U, you can comment or read comments from people who have been to the level you're about to enter or have completed.  It's just kind of fun to shout out your accomplishments or difficulties.  And kind of surreal when my sister who had gotten ahead of me had a comment show up when I arrived.

I've seen ZombiU which uses a sort of augmented reality aspect of looking through and moving the tablet controller around as a "scanning" device, which is something that I'm sure will be explored upon more.  Nintendo Land also uses it as a way of interacting with the 3D world or as a private view port for an interesting take on multiplayer, e.g. in a "chase" game where the one to be chased is running off the tablet and the others are just running around trying to catch them.

I think there will be some great and unique experiences on the Wii U and then a bit after that Microsoft and Sony will come out with their own takes on the idea that are not as popular, that seems to be the current pattern.

All of that, and you fail to post your ID!

But yeah, the technology behind it is pretty awesome. I really enjoy the constant connection on the network. Makes you feel like you're a PART of it, as opposed to say like, PSN, where I just see "SUITCASE HAS LOGGED ON!" "DRAK HAS LOGGED ON" "SUITCASE HAS LOGGED OFF."

December 02, 2012, 09:21:12 PM
Reply #7

Keith Stack

• Ringmaster

• The prettiest.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 09:21:12 PM »
My ID is keithjohnstack, but I probably won't be able to play/do much of anything until around Christmas-time.

December 02, 2012, 10:48:06 PM
Reply #8

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 10:48:06 PM »
Keith, for some reason it wouldn't let me register you through Miiverse like everbody else, so I had to do it through the actual friend thing, meaning you'll have to add SimplyAJ for it to be approved.

December 22, 2012, 06:15:49 AM
Reply #9

Jessica HawlSera

• Ring connoisseur

• Scribe Of Metamor

• Eye Can See you!

• View Profile
    • The Shifti, Home Of The TSA
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 06:15:49 AM »
For some insane reason I got one after hating the Wii and seeing it as a failure on basically every level...... I actually like it a lot better so far and think Metroid Blast is amazing.

PS:It's my brother's, I don't know if you can set up seperate IDs on it or not, if you can I don't know how.
- This is sure to end in hijinks!
(I'm watching you, I'm always watching you. -)

December 22, 2012, 01:13:25 PM
Reply #10

AnKylo

• Ring connoisseur

• Also known as Hearty Beef 'n Potatoes.

• View Profile
    • SpadeRunner Illustrations
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 01:13:25 PM »
The only game I'm interested in right now is the Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing one

I've heard there are a ton of problems with the Wii U version.

I'm waiting until there's a decent amount of games on it that spark my interest. I got the 3DS because there were at least four I was interested in getting and I got those within the span of a month. When I got my Wii, I had Twilight Princess and WarioWare only for about a year and it just collected dust otherwise. Not going to make that mistake again.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 01:18:38 PM by AnKylo »

December 22, 2012, 03:07:45 PM
Reply #11

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 03:07:45 PM »
Could you give me a place to look that up, or ensure that they haven't been pached?

I mean, I wish there was a place that would give you a comparison of a game across different platforms so you knew which version to get.

December 22, 2012, 07:17:24 PM
Reply #12

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• AKA "RobS" and something Epoch

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »
PS:It's my brother's, I don't know if you can set up seperate IDs on it or not, if you can I don't know how.

You can create an alternate user and join the Nintendo network.  Then you'll have your own.  Only warning is right now all accounts are tied to their system of origin, but that might change in the future.

December 23, 2012, 12:08:40 AM
Reply #13

Josie

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• Queen of This

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 12:08:40 AM »
It will definitely change, considering there is currently an option to add an existing account to the system.

Or, well, it's PLANNED to change.  I suppose that could always fall through.

December 23, 2012, 08:27:12 AM
Reply #14

Jessica HawlSera

• Ring connoisseur

• Scribe Of Metamor

• Eye Can See you!

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 08:27:12 AM »
Personally I don't see myself using the Wii-U that much, after I played New Super Mario Bros Wii-U and realizing it's the same damn game as New Super Mario Bros. Wii which managed to be worse than Super Paper Mario (if that's even possible) I'm not touching anything Nintendo related until Shiggy has nothing to do with Nintendo anymore or there's a new Smash Bros.  Actually Wii-U is slightly better because it doesn't have lag, but almost every power-up from previous installments seems to be missing. If this is how lazy the flagship Mario title is, I want nothing to do with the Wii-U. So glad this is my brother's and not mine.

Not including my 3ds, because I need to track down a copy of Red The Hunter and Bowser's Inside Story.. also Kingdom Hearts:Dream Drop Distance, Kid Icarus, and Animal Crossing:New Leaf.... when that comes out.

Edit:Actually no. Super Paper Mario is probably the best game on the Wii. At least it attempted to do something new, had some cool game play gimmicks, a fascinating story, very memorable boss battles, awesome characters like Count Bleck and Francis... so... I don't know why I hate it so much. The game may have been not the best Paper Mario ever made, but it's a hell of a lot better than any game that features a "Super Guide"
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 08:30:27 AM by Dame Seranima »

December 23, 2012, 11:25:01 PM
Reply #15

Josie

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• Queen of This

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 11:25:01 PM »
just throwing this out there but Donkey Kong Country Returns has a super guide and it's a fantastic game

December 24, 2012, 02:08:11 AM
Reply #16

Jessica HawlSera

• Ring connoisseur

• Scribe Of Metamor

• Eye Can See you!

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 02:08:11 AM »
I played it and was pissed it was nothing like Donkey Kong Country at all.. save for.. Having Donkey Kong in a side scroller... I may try it again without that in my head and see if I like it this time around. And if I can find a copy of Skyward Sword (mine was stolen the day I bought a wii motion plus to actually play it)

December 24, 2012, 09:20:52 AM
Reply #17

H Hog

• Administrator

• can't enjoy his sandwich

• Jan-Ken-Pon!

• View Profile
    • Coldflame
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 09:20:52 AM »
I'm just gonna wait a little, just got out of a bit of a debt problem, just doing my best to break even now, don't want to squander cash on too many unneeded purchases for the moment.
Also who knows, there may be a pricedrop, ISN'T THAT RIGHT, FELLOW 3DS OWNERS.

Xbox Live: H Hoguera  --  NNID: HHoguera  --  PSN: H_Hoguera

December 24, 2012, 08:02:07 PM
Reply #18

Josie

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• Queen of This

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 08:02:07 PM »
Yeah DKCR isn't.. like, it plays very differently from DKC, it's hard to deny that.  It draws a lot from the old series, but it's definitely a new series.  That's very much to its advantage, though! I hate that NSMB is just "Hey guys, remember that thing you liked 20 years ago?? Here it is again !!!"

December 25, 2012, 03:53:31 PM
Reply #19

Jessica HawlSera

• Ring connoisseur

• Scribe Of Metamor

• Eye Can See you!

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 03:53:31 PM »
The problem with NSMB, is that it promised a "New Twist!" on it... but it was the same old shit, but with ugly graphics.. the "New Twist" was just a Mega Mushroom... that you collected in the first stage and never saw again.. then the other games were just re-hashes with Blue and Yellow Toad added and the graphics and character designs looking worse... I would have preferred DKCR be DKC, because that's the game I was sold on.

The first NSMB was the best because it tried to have charm, tried to further the story, revealed Bowser Jr. to be a necroamncer, and had Dry Bowser, the rest gave up entirely.

December 27, 2012, 12:03:06 PM
Reply #20

Josie

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• Queen of This

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 12:03:06 PM »
That's actually literally the exact opposite of what the NSMB series promises.

The entire point of the first game (and therefore the whole series, to a greater or lesser extent) was to make a new game in line with the older ones.  To make a new "Super Mario Bros." game.  And it delivers on that.  Flawlessly.  Almost too flawlessly.

December 27, 2012, 01:55:52 PM
Reply #21

Keith Stack

• Ringmaster

• The prettiest.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 01:55:52 PM »
Joshi I added you but maybe not through Miiverse so I don't know baby.

December 28, 2012, 12:30:50 AM
Reply #22

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 12:30:50 AM »
I bought one.

99% of my time has been spent playing Xenoblade. I already beat Xenoblade on the Wii. I should not have bought a WiiU. But oh well, it'll get some good indie games.

It's a neat system, conceptually. The controller is great, and feels like a realization of the Dreamcast VMU. The Metroid minigame in NintendoLand brings to mind Descent, except it's not nearly as good. NSMB U is yet another NSMB game. Waiting for Retro Studios, EAD Tokyo, the Zelda team, and MonolithSoft to show what they've been working on. Will buy the P* games (Bayonetta, that superhero game).

December 28, 2012, 02:09:53 PM
Reply #23

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 02:09:53 PM »
NSMBU was probably my favorite of the NSMB titles. The challenge mode is great and adds hours of playtime, especially if you go for golds. It is indeed a rehash, but I mean, that is to be expected I guess. So as long as you don't go into it expecting the difference from Mario 1 to Mario 3 then, it is still very enjoyable.

Ignoring all the critic reviews, ZombiU is a pretty awesome game as well. Genuinely a spooky atmosphere, and the gameplay is fun.

Sonic and All stars racing is fun, and has been patched so any problems it has are fixed. Admittedly though, I have a hard time playing it because it feels too much like a generic racing game and less like the knock off Mario Kart I was hoping for.

Nintendoland is one of the best games hands down, especially with friends. That Animal Crossing chase game is great.

From what I've watched my girlfriend playing Scribblenauts, it looks neat. Nice and crisp, fun atmosphere.

December 31, 2012, 05:24:17 AM
Reply #24

Jessica HawlSera

• Ring connoisseur

• Scribe Of Metamor

• Eye Can See you!

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 05:24:17 AM »
That's actually literally the exact opposite of what the NSMB series promises.

The entire point of the first game (and therefore the whole series, to a greater or lesser extent) was to make a new game in line with the older ones.  To make a new "Super Mario Bros." game.  And it delivers on that.  Flawlessly.  Almost too flawlessly.

The DS ones do (NSMB2 is Marvelous), Wii was a laggy mess, Wii-U is blander than bland and the Yoshis don't even grow up when you feed them making them worthless cockteases save for yellow. Couldn't that the very least kept the older Power-Ups from the other NSMB games or at least PRETENDED the Flying Squirrel Suit wasn't a gimped Tanooki Suit... Maybe just add a Green Toad. (Can't ask for Wario or Waluigi, that would take effort, and clearly that isn't what Nintendo does anymore.) I like the Flying Squirrel enemies though.

That said, I do LOVE Nintendo Land, I have no idea if I like Metroid Blast or Zelda better or if I like Animal Crossing or Luigi's Mansion better. All the mini-games are really good except for Octopus Dance which is broken beyond belief and Mario Chase which is just way too vanilla for me. Also Toads chase Mario? Shouldn't it be Koopa Kids? I dunno, I got the feeling "This one has our Mascot, that's good enough, we don't need to try outside of that."

There aren't any Wii-U Games on my radar other than Bayonetta 2, but I'll be interested to see how Yoshi's Island Wii-U turns out and to see mainly if this will be a repeat of the last disastrous console or if this one will be back to the Gamecube Standard of Quality, too early to tell as NSMBWU is really just a phoned in game made to keep parents busy spending, it'd be like judging Yoshi's Touch And Go as a sign of the DS' Library Quality. That said Nintendo Land and Mario Wii U aren't exactly Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion if you catch my drift. I am however, very disappointed that I can't play Sonic Colors on a GCN controller on the Wii-U.