Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 19008 times)

January 01, 2013, 09:04:37 AM
Reply #25

0005 maS maS

• Ringmixers

• View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »
Wait, what about NSMB Wii was laggy? It always seemed to play fine to me. Absolutely brilliant game too, very faithful tribute to the old school games.

January 02, 2013, 04:04:08 PM
Reply #26

Josie

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• Queen of This

• View Profile
    • Mastodon Lion Thunderzord Power
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 04:04:08 PM »
Hol is just as full of stupidity and shit as always, nothing more.

January 02, 2013, 10:38:52 PM
Reply #27

Keith Stack

• Ringmaster

• The prettiest.

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 10:38:52 PM »
Joshi stop taking things so seriously man.

Chill your relax engines dude!

Go easy on your breezy!

January 03, 2013, 08:50:45 PM
Reply #28

Jessica HawlSera

• Ring connoisseur

• Scribe Of Metamor

• Eye Can See you!

• View Profile
    • The Shifti, Home Of The TSA
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 08:50:45 PM »
Dude, there's like a massive delay of two friggin seconds before Mario jumps when you press the button to make him do so. It's... holy frig... it's Sonic 06 levels of bad game design.

NSMBWii-U doesn't have this problem though, NSMBWii-U is much better than NSMBW, but that isn't saying much. Also WHY CAN'T THE BABY YOSHIS GROW UP, OH MY GOD, WHY MUST THE GAME TEASE ME LIKE THIS?!?!
- This is sure to end in hijinks!
(I'm watching you, I'm always watching you. -)

January 04, 2013, 10:50:54 AM
Reply #29

▲ndrusi

• Ring connoisseur

• Lalaist Precurian

• Precure... In... SPACE!

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 10:50:54 AM »
Okay, you know how I used to joke about how I seemed to get some of my games from a weird everything-is-better dimension?  I think Hol got his copy of NSMB Wii from a weird everything-is-worse dimension.

January 04, 2013, 10:03:19 PM
Reply #30

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 10:03:19 PM »
There's nothing wrong with the NSMB titles, they're basically Mario 3 part 2, 3, 4, and now 5. My only real qualm with them is the jarring lack of imagination (especially compared to the usual Nintendo output), and the impressively horrible music.

January 05, 2013, 12:27:38 AM
Reply #31

Jessica HawlSera

• Ring connoisseur

• Scribe Of Metamor

• Eye Can See you!

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2013, 12:27:38 AM »
Okay, you know how I used to joke about how I seemed to get some of my games from a weird everything-is-better dimension?  I think Hol got his copy of NSMB Wii from a weird everything-is-worse dimension.

Which is weird, I remember playing the instore demo and liking it, my Wii is old and dusty, maybe it's a problem the system itself. Wii-U, I bitch a little too much, I agree with Sz, the only problem is the lack of imagination and the terrible background music. I acutally played all of the first NSMB on mute... My god.. did they really think having only ONE background song..... And they actually made the enemies constantly DANCING to it as if they were proud of this one irritating song.

It's also weird, because normally I do get my games from an "Everything is better" dimension, (had a miracle run on Sonic 06.. didn't glitch a single time until I went to do a second playthrough as Sonic... never gotten it to behave again) as it seems a lot of people hate the games I like.

January 05, 2013, 01:40:11 PM
Reply #32

Josie

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• Queen of This

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa, let's be fair here, Sz.

NSMB1 was literally just trying to be the original game as much as possible.  It's Super Mario Bros 1 part 2, obviously.  NSMBWii probably draws a bit more from World than 3.  It wasn't until the 3DS, with Mario 3D Land and, yes, NSMB2, they they started sucking Mario 3's dick this hard.  And then U goes back to aping World, with its baby Yoshis and the Flying Squirrel suit, which has some behavioural similarities to the cape.

Keef, I'm honestly not worked up over this!  It's just relaxing yelling at Hol for being a moron.  If I was worked up I'd be like pulling out sources and writing small essays and whatever, because apparently when I'm not getting paid or graded to write it turns out I really fucking like doing it.

January 05, 2013, 02:33:28 PM
Reply #33

Jessica HawlSera

• Ring connoisseur

• Scribe Of Metamor

• Eye Can See you!

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2013, 02:33:28 PM »
I don't understand why NSMB wasn't a one shot idea and why we never had anymore games like Super Princess Peach. I think Mario Platformers need to be in 2D if Sidescrollers, 3D if platformers. The 2.5D Look is hideous.

I liked that they started looking to Mario 3 for inspiration, but became quickly disappointed when it turned out that it only amounted to "Have Raccoon Mario and Koopalings", Mario 3 had numerous power ups, a lot of creativity, various themed worlds, and an expansive number of new enemies. Why don't they try doing more of that, instead of just copying elements from three.

I think what must have happened, is someone at Nintendo asked what Mario game their future titles should be more like, people said Three for the reasons I said, but Nintendo took this at its most literal interpretation. Also... Really, I want to know why the hell they brought back the other colored Yoshis (Brilliant idea), and then made it impossible for them to grow up turning them into annoying power-ups (One of Several Game Ruining Ideas)

So how about Yoshi's Island Wii-U, have we heard anything about that yet?

January 05, 2013, 07:37:22 PM
Reply #34

Keith Stack

• Ringmaster

• The prettiest.

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2013, 07:37:22 PM »
JOSHI

YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE

January 06, 2013, 04:04:49 AM
Reply #35

Vexiss

• Should go on a ring diet

• RIP Lucky

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 04:04:49 AM »
he's right joshi

we're all old now

remember

January 06, 2013, 05:51:10 PM
Reply #36

Josie

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• Queen of This

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 05:51:10 PM »
You know what would be cool?  If talking to Hol caused my blood pressure to spike so suddenly and dramatically that my eyeballs popped.

January 06, 2013, 06:15:51 PM
Reply #37

Josie

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• Queen of This

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2013, 06:15:51 PM »
I don't understand why NSMB wasn't a one shot idea and why we never had anymore games like Super Princess Peach. I think Mario Platformers need to be in 2D if Sidescrollers, 3D if platformers. The 2.5D Look is hideous.

Because SPP didn't do too well and NSMB did really well and a bunch of people asked for another.  So Nintendo delivered.

January 06, 2013, 06:27:08 PM
Reply #38

Jessica HawlSera

• Ring connoisseur

• Scribe Of Metamor

• Eye Can See you!

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2013, 06:27:08 PM »
Yeah, but NSMB... "We Remade Super Mario 1 in 3D! Let's make the same god damn game Three More Times!" I think could have worked if there was more effort and the rest of the NSMB Series weren't just remakes of the first one with Dry Bowser removed. I hear the Wii one was supposed to be more different from the DS one and have a plot explaining the return of the Koopa Kips, but Shigeru seems to be keen on keeping imagination away from the Mario Series lately. (Been playing Paper Mario Sticker Star, I love it, but the lack of Original Characters or even so much as different color varients of Shy Guys or Sniffits is wearing on me. Wouldn't mind it if all future Handheld Paper Marios were sticker stars, and they saved TTYD's Style for the consoles.. so long as Future Sticker Games brought back unique character designs)

....Though really Super Princess Peach didn't do well? I loved that game! Eh, well it makes sense, I remember a lot of my friends at the time didn't get it thinking it was a super simplified (Like Mario's Early Years level) meant for Little Girls due to the name. A few of my friends' parents actually refused to buy it thinking it would "Turn their kids gay". (I used to have some really Homophobic Friends... We're not on speaking terms anymore... well obviously.) I imagine a lot of parents had the same reaction to it, the clerk did eye my grandmother funny when she bought me that game. My grandmother who asked me if Super Princess Peach was age appropriate for a middle schooler.

God was Super Princess Peach from THAT long ago? I'm getting ancient Paper Joshi.

January 06, 2013, 06:33:09 PM
Reply #39

Josie

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• Queen of This

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013, 06:33:09 PM »
The Wii one is pretty different from the DS one.

January 06, 2013, 06:37:46 PM
Reply #40

Jessica HawlSera

• Ring connoisseur

• Scribe Of Metamor

• Eye Can See you!

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2013, 06:37:46 PM »
True.... I guess what I'm trying to say is, the New Series lacks flavor, and Mario is all about flavor. Plus there's no denying the Wii and Wii-U ones are basically the same, which was my original point.

January 06, 2013, 07:15:30 PM
Reply #41

Josie

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• Queen of This

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2013, 07:15:30 PM »
The Wii and Wii U ones are pretty different.

January 06, 2013, 08:39:57 PM
Reply #42

0005 maS maS

• Ringmixers

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2013, 08:39:57 PM »
I've never noticed any kind of lag whatsoever, I have to say. Also, Sonic 06 levels of bad game design? Really? NSMBWii may not be reinventing the wheel, but it's a well put together game. We all know S06 was a sloppy mess of a game, it's an unfair comparison.

I've only played the original DS and Wii NSMB games and they felt fairly different to me. Not drastically different, but then they are simply sequels in a series that is unabashedly about rehashing the past. I actually think the 2.5D thing works quite well additionally, simply because Nintendo have done quite a nice job of polishing the presentation in it.

I just don't really see how they lack flavour, in all honesty. When the first NSMB came out, it was weirdly a breath of fresh air. We'd spent years being given increasingly obtuse 3D Mario games, culminating in Sunshine - a great game, but not quite what everyone really wanted - so it was quite nice to go back to the roots in such a respectful and delicate way. It's what Sega have desperately been trying to recreate with Sonic 4, except without the necessary finesse required.

January 06, 2013, 09:03:38 PM
Reply #43

Josie

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• Queen of This

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2013, 09:03:38 PM »
I just don't really see how they lack flavour, in all honesty.

Because, like you just said, that series is about rehashing things.  There's pretty much nothing new in it at all, so it... is state, for some people.  It's basically the same games we've played for the last thirty years.  Of course it lacks flavour.

We'd spent years being given increasingly obtuse 3D Mario games, culminating in Sunshine

So... two games? ;P

I mean like I agree it had been a while since the last 2D game but the problem wasn't really "weirder and weirder 3D games," it was "endless ports on GBA."  The 3D games were actually pretty cool, and continued the Mario tradition (which NSMB has kind of rejected) or every game being themed pretty differently... up until Galaxy 2, at least.

January 06, 2013, 09:39:27 PM
Reply #44

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2013, 09:39:27 PM »
The choice to make NSMB1 was a stroke of brilliance, but the reason they keep making more is because 2D Mario brings in money like nothing else in the game industry. It's simple business.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's be fair here, Sz.

NSMB1 was literally just trying to be the original game as much as possible.  It's Super Mario Bros 1 part 2, obviously.  NSMBWii probably draws a bit more from World than 3.  It wasn't until the 3DS, with Mario 3D Land and, yes, NSMB2, they they started sucking Mario 3's dick this hard.  And then U goes back to aping World, with its baby Yoshis and the Flying Squirrel suit, which has some behavioural similarities to the cape.

I might be willing to concede NSMB1, but no, none of the NSMB games (well, I haven't finished the WiiU one yet, just played a couple worlds) are really like SMW. The cape broke traditional Mario level design, and that's part of what made SMW interesting. The NSMB games are all about traditional Mario level design.

3D Land is a different conversation entirely, since it's creative and brilliant and awesome.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:41:30 PM by Sz »

January 06, 2013, 09:43:05 PM
Reply #45

0005 maS maS

• Ringmixers

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2013, 09:43:05 PM »
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the slightly weird 3D games and the way that tangent has progressed is great - the Galaxy games are absolute gems of 3D platforming, for instance. But it's nice to have new side-scrolling games too; like you say, the GBA ports were dull as hell after a while.

I take your point about staleness, so I'll concede on that 'flavour' point. I think my real point is it was nice to say Nintendo still remembered what originally made the series work and is able to create that still, as well as add to it in a more traditional sense.

January 07, 2013, 01:30:54 AM
Reply #46

Josie

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• Queen of This

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2013, 01:30:54 AM »
I say New Mario Wii pulls from Mario World more than 3, because there's really nothing that it pulls from 3 at all, and it's got Yoshi in it.  1 > 0.

3D Land is a different conversation entirely, since it's creative and brilliant and awesome.

3D Land is every complaint I have about the NSMB series with few if any of the redeeming factors.  It's definitely different from the other 3D games, but it's... I dunno.  It felt like a NSMB game but... in 3D.  Very safe, very... stale.  I know I just used that in my previous post, but it works here.  It feels really, really uninspired.  It's not bad, but I really expected a lot better from the Galaxy team, and just kinda got bored playing it.

3D Land is very definitely a part of the conversation though, because it's part of the problem that the NSMB series represents: Nintendo doesn't want to innovate with Mario anymore, they just want to go "Hey guys remember that game you liked 20 years ago???"

January 07, 2013, 01:54:53 AM
Reply #47

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2013, 01:54:53 AM »
This has been bugging me this entire thread. Hol, it's not "Wii-U" it's just "Wii U", there is no hyphen. Also, yeah, the NSMB games are rehashes, but everything you have said is just ... wrong. NSMB Wii and NSMBU aren't really that similar at all, aside from the core mechanics and being a NSMB game. There was no lag in the Wii version. The title that probably had the least though put into it was NSMB2, which was fun, but still probably the weakest link.

As for 3D Land, I was literally JUST talking about this on AIM a second ago. Today I decided to start a new file on it, seeing as I haven't touched the thing since I got the five stars on my file just a few weeks after it came out, and I must say it is way more boring than I remembered. I think my first play-through was basically inspired by it being a new game and wanting to see what all it had, and yeah I definitely enjoyed that it had a decent amount of unlockables, what with a whole second half of the game, and also an extra secret stage, but the game play itself is kind of terrible. The game was everything I always wanted, a 3D Mario game that played like a 2D game, but now I have kind of come to realize that it just doesn't work how I thought it would.

Firstly, the levels are ridiculously short, and after a while start feeling uninspired. They started recycling level designs entirely, and even a lot of the second half of the game were just the levels from the first half albeit a little "harder." The problem lies in the fact that, for one, controls feel clunky. A 3D game needs to have a free-camera, not having one just makes things more annoying than they should be, especially say on stages where you're on the airships being chased by that shadow Mario (why does he exist in this game with no other ties to Galaxy or Sunshine?) The enemy placement is just stupid. You see a goomba, you can either risk trying to jump on it, and possibly missing, or just ... I dunno, walk right beside it and ignore it ever existed? It didn't do enemy placement quite like the real 3D games, so it just feels like they are uselessly put in. At least in the 2D Mario games, enemies are actually in your PATH.

The game also feels surprisingly empty and "lonely." The idea was great, and it should have been better than what it was, but it really isn't quite the game I thought I remembered. Once I played it without all that "new game feel" on it, I kind of realized that it is rather boring, unfortunately.

January 10, 2013, 10:18:55 PM
Reply #48

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2013, 10:18:55 PM »
I say New Mario Wii pulls from Mario World more than 3, because there's really nothing that it pulls from 3 at all, and it's got Yoshi in it.  1 > 0.

3D Land is every complaint I have about the NSMB series with few if any of the redeeming factors.  It's definitely different from the other 3D games, but it's... I dunno.  It felt like a NSMB game but... in 3D.  Very safe, very... stale.  I know I just used that in my previous post, but it works here.  It feels really, really uninspired.  It's not bad, but I really expected a lot better from the Galaxy team, and just kinda got bored playing it.

3D Land is very definitely a part of the conversation though, because it's part of the problem that the NSMB series represents: Nintendo doesn't want to innovate with Mario anymore, they just want to go "Hey guys remember that game you liked 20 years ago???"

I don't feel even remotely the same way where 3D Land is concerned. To me, it's almost jarringly different from the NSMB series. It's not as good as the Galaxy games -- but those are better than everything, so I've made an unfair comparison. 3D Land is just brilliant game design, and (along with Galaxy 2) the successful realization of 2D Mario in 3D. Maybe this is what you mean by the bolded? ...but I guess I'm not sure what "feels ... uninspired" is supposed to mean. Level design? Atmosphere? What powerups he uses?

As an aside, 3D Land (and Galaxy 2) were made by EAD Tokyo 2, whereas Galaxy 1 was made by EAD Tokyo 1. So it's not quite the "Galaxy team". I didn't know this until recently either.

January 12, 2013, 01:20:03 PM
Reply #49

Josie

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• Queen of This

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2013, 01:20:03 PM »
It is different from the NSMB series, don't get me wrong.  But it is also very definitely indicative of the same problem.  I can say similar things about Sticker Star, although in that game it's very different things that draw me to that conclusion.  Just because the origin of the problem is the same doesn't mean the execution is.

Like AJ said, the level design is just really lackluster.  They're open spaces with... jack shit in them.  They're platforms floating in a void.  They take a lot of cues from the 2D games, yes... but then, hey look, I can just literally run right past almost everything because it turns out they decided to make this game 2D.  It's crappy.  And unlike the NSMB games, which I find stale but at least fun... I honestly just got BORED of 3D Land.  I pressed on, kicked Bowser's ass, and started doing the extra stages because hey maybe those are good right? And... nope, still boring.  More difficult, but not more fun.

That's good that you had fun!  But I definitely didn't.