Advanced Search

Author Topic: Sonic Fan Movie "Spec Film"  (Read 4515 times)

January 11, 2013, 01:43:58 AM
Read 4515 times

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• AKA "RobS" and something Epoch

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Sonic Fan Movie "Spec Film"
« on: January 11, 2013, 01:43:58 AM »
[youtube]JtCtQpclpY8[/youtube]

So some fans finally got what they wanted and actually produced a Sonic fan film. Admittedly not what I would have imagined as one, it's kind of a B movie, but I still liked it nonetheless. They even got Jaleel White to voice Sonic, which is special to those of us who grew up with Gen 1 Sonic in the 90s. :D

January 11, 2013, 06:58:58 AM
Reply #1

0005 maS maS

• Ringmixers

• View Profile
Re: Sonic Fan Movie "Spec Film"
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 06:58:58 AM »
That was awful.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a huge amount of work went in to it and some of the CGI work isn't bad. But the acting, the costumes, the plot, the ridiculously melodramatic score... no sir, I didn't like it. I want my 20 minutes back.

January 11, 2013, 12:51:38 PM
Reply #2

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 12:51:38 PM »
It feels like a 90s video game adapation movie. A decent one, by 90s video game adaptation movie standards, which basically leaves it as an aquired taste.

Its still pretty stunning that they managed to make this, complex fan projects like this are no mean feat. Getting it finished is a major achievement in and of itself.

January 12, 2013, 12:42:17 AM
Reply #3

Vexiss

• Should go on a ring diet

• RIP Lucky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 12:42:17 AM »
30 seconds in and i already wanna laugh

January 12, 2013, 01:22:52 AM
Reply #4

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 01:22:52 AM »
Jaleel White's voice makes me want to cringe. Visually, it is well done, and I was surprised as some of the "famous" people they managed to get in it, but over all, why would anyone WANT a Sonic movie? Who actually ever played the games for their story? Nobody ever, we played them because they were fun games. With this, you get all the cringe worthy cutscenes from the later games, but with no game play in between them to ease the pain.

Also his texture bothered me. I realize it was done to give him the look of actually having quills, but it looked ... odd.

Knuckles had fingers...

January 12, 2013, 05:12:04 AM
Reply #5

H Hog

• Administrator

• can't enjoy his sandwich

• Jan-Ken-Pon!

• View Profile
    • Coldflame
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 05:12:04 AM »
To be honest... I thought it was "eeehh".
It took itself way more seriously then a film about a blue hedgehog should, the acting ranged from kinda okay-to-meh (with the GUN hostage on rock bottom - I've seen more emotional investment in Twilight), and you can tell Jaleel White hasn't voiced Sonic in a LONG time (although to be fair, that's hardly his fault).

Also, there's kind of a clash of attitudes in there; the film itself is way serious, while Sonic's character isn't serious enough compared to the rest. I know he's supposed to be the free-spirited optimist type, but if you just saved someone from certain death, the first thing to say that comes to mind isn't "Way past cool, huh?".
I didn't hate it, but there's definitely some groaner material in there.

Xbox Live: H Hoguera  --  NNID: HHoguera  --  PSN: H_Hoguera

January 12, 2013, 03:41:33 PM
Reply #6

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 03:41:33 PM »
why would anyone WANT a Sonic movie? Who actually ever played the games for their story? Nobody ever, we played them because they were fun games.

I think it really dates back to when Sonic was a complicated fandom.  (I guess it still is, but not nearly the energy it used to have, lol.)  You had the main camps -- Sega's official stuff and the SatAM cartoon (mixed with Archie comics sort of.)  AoStH and Underground were minorities, but present.  But I'll focus on the two big ones there.  Anyway, those who were hooked inside the SatAM camp tended to love to see plot developments and complex story arcs, where the straight Sega fans usually weren't more interested in a plot more complex than a Sonic/Amy romance.  (Which of course made the Sonic/Sally romance such a thorn in their side and vice versa.)

Anyway, the SatAM folks had a seriously strong following and an intense disappointment at the series being cancelled, especially so young.  So many fan attempts over the years attempted to get the show back on the air (petitions or whatever) or even somehow take it upon themselves (until they realized just how ridiculously hard it actually is to make cartoons.)  So a LOT of the old fan movie stuff came out of that world for many, many years.  Usually people who were not polarized in Sonic fandom found it sensible or even noble to make their speculative movie a combination of both Sega's official stuff and SatAM to bridge the best of both worlds.

I think this is a very late generation product of those old imaginations.  Honestly not what I would have expected, but I thought it was an interesting interpretation.  Not professional grade, and yes, I agree acting was varied depending who was on-screen, but still interesting.  And heck, for a Sonic fan film, even if you aren't a fan of the old Urkel voice, you have to appreciate that they could on-board such an old fandom celebrity.

January 13, 2013, 03:40:59 PM
Reply #7

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »
What I said was meant to be a rhetorical question.

January 13, 2013, 03:56:53 PM
Reply #8

suit

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 03:56:53 PM »
satam fandom in a nutshell

January 13, 2013, 08:54:12 PM
Reply #9

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 08:54:12 PM »
What I said was meant to be a rhetorical question.

But kind of an important one, because obviously this thing exists, and there is a "why."

January 14, 2013, 03:05:38 AM
Reply #10

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 03:05:38 AM »
Let's ignore that it is Sonic for a second and instead pretend the main character is any other generic optimistic cool guy ... That being said, why couldn't they at least have kept his speech patterns and general lingo relevant to the times? Yes, he used to say "way past cool",  but not because it was a catch phrase of his, it was the generic "cool guy lingo" at the time. So if you're making a movie to try to hold an audience, at least keep the shit being spoken up to date. Just ... Bad bad bad all around.

January 14, 2013, 02:05:20 PM
Reply #11

AnKylo

• Ring connoisseur

• Also known as Hearty Beef 'n Potatoes.

• View Profile
    • SpadeRunner Illustrations
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 02:05:20 PM »
(with the GUN hostage on rock bottom - I've seen more emotional investment in Twilight)

You mean Doug Walker?

January 14, 2013, 07:17:51 PM
Reply #12

H Hog

• Administrator

• can't enjoy his sandwich

• Jan-Ken-Pon!

• View Profile
    • Coldflame
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 07:17:51 PM »
No, the hostage Robotnik was talking to personally. Should have probably said "prisoner", rather.

Xbox Live: H Hoguera  --  NNID: HHoguera  --  PSN: H_Hoguera

January 14, 2013, 11:50:17 PM
Reply #13

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 11:50:17 PM »
Randomly fast-forwarded to about 6:20, immediately greeted with terrible 3D Sonic voiced by Jaleel White saying "way past cool"

I've seen enough. 10/10, fund it.

Disclaimer: This post may be facetious.

January 15, 2013, 04:21:57 AM
Reply #14

Zodberg

• Playing it bogard.

• the day Adorable won

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 04:21:57 AM »
It's not that this is Sonci stuck in the 90s, but the problem is that Sonic is a brand that defines the 90s, Sonic with modern sensibilities is like wanting vinyl records done with modern technology - just not Sonic. This video is perhaps a testament to why Sonic faded from popularity and why that isn't so bad. This is not only "What if" but also a "Why it isn't."

It's very good for a fanfilm. I totally got my money from it. But would I be happy if I paid to see this? not this decade. But it's still better than some movies I can think of.

January 15, 2013, 10:31:25 PM
Reply #15

Keith Stack

• Ringmaster

• The prettiest.

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 10:31:25 PM »
Hey everyone, stop generalizing Sonic the Hedgehog is your essayist responses! Sonic is a complicated, beautiful, disgusting creature, and has been taken in just about every direction possible. What you think Sonic should be will never be an unquestionable truth. It is nothing but a reflection of who you are as a human being. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-SEGA!

January 17, 2013, 09:46:51 AM
Reply #16

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 09:46:51 AM »
Blaze isn't around to share his thoughts, fortunately he posted them elsewhere: http://blazehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/40640017511/sonic-fan-film-thoughts-or-if-youre-already-saving

You know, I thought I was the only one who kept pausing the movie and having to psych myself up to get back to watching it. I tried to give the creator his dues in my previous post, but when I think about it, a movie that causes it's viewer to fight against cringy embarrasment probably has a few things that need attention.

Overall, there's not enough confidence in what the movie is meant to be about. It's a bunch of themes, Sonic ideas and Hollywood tropes mixed in a stew with the hope that it would pay off in a satifying movie but without an understanding for why it would.

I will defend one part of the movie (not NC's reaction because that needs no defending), and that's Sonic's dialog. I'll agree it's badly voiced (surprisingly given the actor) and the movie isn't well written enough to properly set up the tonal contrast between him and the rest of the movie, but I honestly felt a lot of his catchphases and sayings were cheesy and "overly cool" even back when he was using them in. Same catagory as the kid in Terminator 2 really, an overemphasis on what seemed like "hip" and "cool" language at the time while most kids watching it wouldn't really know anyone who spoke like that (if you did know someone who spoke like either of those characters please let me know). Now both characters in T2 and SatAM had enough to them that you didn't mind the cheesy pharases and appreciated them being part of the character. Since the Sonic in this fan movie is pretty much the one from SatAM, it just felt he was taking his catchphrases with him.

January 19, 2013, 10:01:27 PM
Reply #17

BlazeHedgehog

• Ring connoisseur

• Do Blue Hedgehogs

• Dream of Electric Eggs?

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 10:01:27 PM »
I'm around, I just re-installed Windows and didn't feel like tracking down my password.

January 24, 2013, 06:35:46 PM
Reply #18

Vexiss

• RIP Lucky

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 06:35:46 PM »
yay

April 27, 2013, 02:23:17 AM
Reply #19

Fadflamer

• Global Moderator

• That Guy With The Milky Plush

• That's as many as Four Tens. And that's Terrible.

• View Profile
    • BleistiftAnsatz Sissy - Dead Autism Forever
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 02:23:17 AM »
Late to the party, but it was hysterically bad and well worth a watch.

I fucking loved the guy playing Kintobor. Sonic made me cringe a bit. Overall, horribly hilariously bad.

April 27, 2013, 07:17:35 AM
Reply #20

suit

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 07:17:35 AM »
shut up brony

April 27, 2013, 06:57:55 PM
Reply #21

Fadflamer

• Global Moderator

• That Guy With The Milky Plush

• That's as many as Four Tens. And that's Terrible.

• View Profile
    • BleistiftAnsatz Sissy - Dead Autism Forever
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 06:57:55 PM »
Eat me, furry

April 28, 2013, 02:47:55 PM
Reply #22

Josie

• Global Moderator

• Momentai

• Queen of This

• View Profile
    • Mastodon Lion Thunderzord Power
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 02:47:55 PM »
Bronies are just furries that put all of their points in the Horse skill tree.

Also Fad your avatar is entirely missing the point of that sort of cutout style