October 29, 2013, 11:36:44 AM
Read 1232 times

Squishdiboo

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
Sleep
« on: October 29, 2013, 11:36:44 AM »
Why do parents feel like they have some sort of obligation to harass you when you're trying to sleep?

What is this stigma against someone sleeping past 10am? If I'm tired and I don't have anywhere I need to be, I think I should be allowed to sleep whenever I feel like sleeping. But old people keep coming in and trying to tell me what I should be doing. "You're still in bed? You need to go outside! Did you eat anything yet today? You can't eat just once a day! It's noon! Why are you sleeping?"

It's not just my parents who do this to me it's other people's parents too.

I don't get very good sleep anymore. I wake up every couple of hours, sweating profusely no matter how cold it is in the room. I'm tired all the time. But I go to work when I'm scheduled, I push through it, I take care of my dog, I pay my bills. I think I should be able to sleep when I have the opportunity! I think people shouldn't be barging into the bedroom where I sleep to criticize my lifestyle!

I dunno man. I'm tired and felt like complaining somewhere.

October 29, 2013, 12:23:04 PM
Reply #1

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
Re: Sleep
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:23:04 PM »
I understand where you're comming from.

Have you tried outright telling your parents not to bug you about the sleep any more while asking why they keep bugging you about it?

Also, do you live in the same house as your parents, because that can be a factor. There can be sort of a "I'm giving my child free rent here which I have to go out and work for and meanwhile they're just lying here in bed" mentality.

October 29, 2013, 07:04:37 PM
Reply #2

Mirai

• Ring connoisseur

• Wanderluster

• 心無きの戦士

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 07:04:37 PM »
It's a social norm.  For most people, it's the most "correct" life to wake up early in the morning, have a job with hours somewhere around nine to five, come home around when the sun sets, sleep, and repeat.  Unless one has family in medical or restaurant-based fields--where different sleep hours are almost a necessity for dealing with late or changing shifts--it's hard to understand anything healthy about operating later in the day.  The thought seems to be that one is most productive by being up and early to do...well, things.

It works if one is trying to network/job hunt for a better living situation that involves a nine-to-five-type gig, but as you know, if you're not doing that, there's no point to keeping such a militarily regimented schedule.  My thought is that it's most just a problem that comes from living with family.  It's still a bitch of a task to accomplish these days, but there's nothing like having greater freedom and control over one's life, space, and time.

October 29, 2013, 07:53:00 PM
Reply #3

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• AKA "RobS" and something Epoch

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
For waking up sweating bit, maybe something like this might help?