Advanced Search

Author Topic: post itt for how long you have been posting on this forum or past incarnations  (Read 19115 times)

March 17, 2014, 12:01:52 AM
Reply #25

Zodberg

• Should go on a ring diet

• Playing it bogard.

• the day Adorable won

• View Profile
What I want to know is who were the other seven Knuxs?
This is a question Ken Penders has waited his whole life to answer.

It kinda sucks when people only borrow their name from some show or whatever which makes them impossible to google years later.

Also whatever happened to CML?

March 17, 2014, 10:53:19 AM
Reply #26

Eric

• farts

• View Profile
Also whatever happened to CML?

I hope he went on to become a Mountie.

March 17, 2014, 06:41:43 PM
Reply #27

Archaemic

• Ring connoisseur

• aɹ·kʰej·mɪk

• View Profile
He got less crazy and changed his name to just Leo.

(This list is incomplete)

March 17, 2014, 07:15:11 PM
Reply #28

Fadflamer

• Global Moderator

• That Guy With The Milky Plush

• That's as many as Four Tens. And that's Terrible.

• View Profile
    • BleistiftAnsatz Sissy - Dead Autism Forever
I think I started posting somewhere around the beginning of Y2K. 14 years of internet. God damn horrible. This is a torment no human being deserves to bear witness to.

March 17, 2014, 09:55:57 PM
Reply #29

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
Leo bailed the eff out like a manly man. I'm too lazy to google his name + Canada and hypothesize what he's up to, so I'm going to guess he became a lumberjack.

I have no idea when I started posting here regularly. I remember discovering the MC in 1999, but I mostly lurked until some of my other boards crashed and burned. So. 2001? Maybe?

w/e. No regrets. Apart from not banning suitcase!

This is a question Ken Penders has waited his whole life to answer.
#dead
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:57:57 PM by Sz »

March 24, 2014, 11:24:59 PM
Reply #30

Vexiss

• RIP Lucky

• View Profile
He got less crazy and changed his name to just Leo.
and then?

came in 2001

stayed a few years

left

came back sporadically and lurked

March 25, 2014, 12:57:13 AM
Reply #31

Ed

• Casual ring snacker

• walking down the beach at dawn

• View Profile
Honestly I can't even remember anymore. I want to say that it was before Sonic Adventure 2. Yeah, pretty sure pre-SA2.
(click below to visit the coolest page in the universe)

(click above to visit the coolest page in the universe)

March 26, 2014, 03:00:51 AM
Reply #32

SoNick

• Ring connoisseur

• No longer seeking applications for new picture

• View Profile
    • SoNick's vaguely coherent ramblings
I think I was pre-SA2 as well? Like, I remember the first thing I saw of Rouge the Bat was at SFGHQ and I was like "what is this this is not what a sonic character looks like but pubescent me thinks shes hot" so I couldn't have been active there at the time for me to suddenly think it was a new thing. According to some stupid bio thing I made at the Sonic Retro wiki I've been around both here and at the MC since like 2000? That's fourteen years, man.

I still like the name that I came up with as a kid, "Sonic" + "Nick" = "SoNick." Sucks that outside of Generations there haven't been many great Sonic games anymore, though.
these links are old:
MySpace | Sonic Retro Wiki Entry | ImageShack

March 26, 2014, 07:37:37 AM
Reply #33

Myst

• View Profile
Hopefully Sonic Boom will change that.

March 26, 2014, 12:05:32 PM
Reply #34

Ed

• Casual ring snacker

• View Profile
I think I came to SFGHQ right when Shadow was revealed, then I went to the Moogle Cavern a few months after.

March 26, 2014, 09:55:38 PM
Reply #35

Vexiss

• RIP Lucky

• View Profile
i remember you ed being there before me certainly yes

i came right after sa2 came out

March 27, 2014, 01:38:19 AM
Reply #36

Myst

• View Profile
Vexiss, who were you back then?

I thought you joined this community sometime in 2009. I didn't know you've been around this long.

March 27, 2014, 02:29:10 AM
Reply #37

Ed

• Casual ring snacker

• View Profile
Jeez. We were around when the Dreamcast was like, still a thing and not some martyr console. Think about that!

March 28, 2014, 03:30:21 PM
Reply #38

▲ndrusi

• Ring connoisseur

• Lalaist Precurian

• Precure... In... SPACE!

• View Profile
Man, I think that's getting into "dawn of time" territory for me.

March 29, 2014, 10:26:02 AM
Reply #39

Tenniru

• Enjoys a hearty bowl of rings each morning

• eeeeeeeeeee

• Duty Now For The Future

• View Profile
I think I first posted on the ezBoard MC sometime in maybe mid-late 2000. Maybe earlier, I'm not sure.

Geez.

April 01, 2014, 06:29:39 AM
Reply #40

Matt_TY

• Person That Does Some Things

• View Profile
    • Sonic Vegemite
Ye gods, you people still exist.
I joined in 1999, but I don't really count because I stopped posting regularly ages ago.
AND SUCH

April 01, 2014, 04:51:35 PM
Reply #41

Seph

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
Oh man. Matt the Yak!
-Seph
Want to see what I'm working on?

April 13, 2014, 06:22:44 PM
Reply #42

SonKnuck

• Ring connoisseur

• Omelette Du Démarrer

• View Profile
    • SonKnuck Adventures
For posting I started caring about posting late 1999, early 2000... but I've been around these parts for even longer... 1997. BEAT THAT!

April 13, 2014, 08:40:21 PM
Reply #43

▲ndrusi

• Ring connoisseur

• Lalaist Precurian

• Precure... In... SPACE!

• View Profile
I think you win.

April 14, 2014, 06:15:10 AM
Reply #44

David The Lurker

• Lurker Extraordinaire

• lursk

• View Profile
    • lursk
I remember it all as if it was yesterday. The year was 1997, a magical time to be sure. Sitting there on my brand new Compaq Presario, with John de Lancie ushering me into the brand new world of the personal computer. Sure, I had seen computers in action beforehand. I remember one very exciting day the year before, when the rain poured outside as I sat in school, all of us huddled around our teacher's computer as they logged onto the Internet through America Online. We saw the Internet for the first time, and I knew I wanted to explore all of its many secrets. Unfortunately, that was not the day, for only the teacher was allowed to touch the mouse...

Oh, that computer with its MMX technology. What wonders P.O.D. racing could show! Interactive encyclopedias from Microsoft, exploring the Yukon Trail, and listening to Weezer over and over and over and over again because, damn it, if Microsoft gave me that video with Windows 95, I was going to watch it! And Good Times, you can't forget Good Times, Bad Times, Give Me Some Of That. But I was not happy with just having a computer, oh no. Now that the electronic beast was in my hands, I had to go further. There, a 12 year old kid, begging his mother to get an Internet Service Provider. Would it be Compuserve? Would it be Prodigy? Of course not. No, it would be that wondrous provider who had sent floppy disc after floppy disc to our house. Yes, 10 free hours of power was all that it took for my mother to start paying for that Internet bill. I logged onto America Online, hearing that rustic dial tone, watching the ancient animation, and I never looked back.

Oh, the world of Keywords. It wasn't long before I was on Kids Only, subscribing to their newsletter, and downloading terrible games based off of Cartoon Network shows. Oh, buying boxes of Lucky Charms just so I could play some weird interactive game on their website that was the most primitive thing ever. The rush of downloading RealPlayer! But it was the message boards...first AOL's personal boards, of course. Browsing through them, I found my first love...Superman. But what else started with 'S?' Yes. My true love.

Sonic the Hedgehog.

The AOL message boards were full of angry, bitter people, but they were also full of joy and hope. It took a quick hop, skip and a jump to Usenet where I was fully immersed in the world of alt.fan.sonic-hedgehog. There were the ancients, the greats - or at least, who I thought were. Mach H. Hedgehog. RazJMasters. David Bulmer. The Chaos Emerald. Variations on Sonic's name was abound. Louis JM, that jolly, cocky bloke. But it was the Usenet group that led me into the path of David Gonterman, for on his site was an archive of one of the most treasured websites in the Sonicverse - the remains of Rat.org.

See, it was the fall of Rat where the old guard became bitter, and us crazy pre-teen kids who had grown up with Sonic soon began to overtake the scene. Before that, it was teenagers, 20somethings, and sometimes older people who "ran" the Sonic Internet community. There was Ratman, of course. But the powers of the fanfic writers, of Bookshire Draftwood and Dan Drazen, they were the pillars. But when Rat lost his mind, and took the site down, it was David Gonterman who saved it. And it was then that my own Internet hoarding started to come into effect, where I tried to save the archive myself. I didn't do it fast enough, for it was at that precious moment where Gonterman exiled himself from the fandom, for it was only then that people realized his fanfics were the ramblings of a madman.

And so there I was, reading Usenet, reading the AOL board. It didn't take long to stumble onto the new bread of sites that proved to be far greater than Ratman's archive ever hoped to be. KnuxCom. The Knothole News. The earliest forms of SonicHQ, when it was still named after it's creator. Team Artail. The Sonic Foundation. The Green Hill Zone, which was using Neo in its title in a time when it also housed fanfics. But there were other corners of the Internet brewing. The sites that we might remember as the golden age.

It was a tale of two sites: Sonic the Conspiracy, and Tom's Hacking Station. The former was the first site that attempted to catalog magazine shots of the lost levels of Sonic, such as the Hidden Palace Zone. The latter, of course, was an attempt to try and actually see that level in its full glory, using the ancient method of the Action Replay to see the rings that only hinted at what the level was meant to be. Sonic the Conspiracy was to fall to the wayside, for another site was to come and take its glory - Secrets of Sonic the Hedgehog, led by Andre Dirk. And why him? For he had the Beta, and could take shots of the levels that we only dreamed of. He milked that for all it was worth, and performed the most awkward auction ever to sell the cart. Of course, it was Simon Wai who threw a wrench into his plans when he found the ROM on some forgotten Chinese website...

For these were the earliest segments of what would lead to the fully realized Sonic Stuff Research Group. Sure, there was an early version of it on Andy Wolan's EmulationZone that talked about lock on technology and theorized why Knuckles in Sonic 2 wasn't possible on Emulators, but Secrets of Sonic the Hedgehog soon fell into the fold of websites hosted on EmulationZone. It was a towering force. For not only did the SSRG have Andre Dirk's baby, it had Tom's Hacking Station, it had Area 51, it had Simon Wai's Sonic 2 Beta Page, it had all these sites that began on other servers and were swallowed up. Not to mention that it began to host The Green Hill Zone, Sonic HQ, and The Super Sonic Zone, Tristan's dedicated news site that chronicled not only the going ons of Sonic and Sega, but of the fan community. The rise of the fangame was even housed in the halls of EmulationZone, with Sonic Fan Games HQ having demo after demo of unrealized games. Sonic Boom, Tails and the Quest for 100 Rings. Rotor, Rotor, Rotor Boom.

Of course, this all happened while the site that we all met together on, The Moogle Cavern, came into existence. I remember stumbling across an early version in 1999, but I didn't really start lurking until the next year. I remember how excited I was seeing people glitch in Sonic Adventure, or how I hung onto each and every new hoax that came down the pipeline, for we were all way too obsessed with the concept. A lost art, especially in an era when the entire code of the core Sonic titles have been deconstructed, allowing endless manipulation. I gleefully read Kulock's every news post about the Dreamcast, even if I read them on other sites like the ancient world of IGN sites. And the fanfics...how can we not recall the tales that we spun of ourselves in strange situations? Of 44 Seconds to Pie?

Of course, I always saw the Moogle Cavern as a sister site to the Andy Wolan empire, but at the same time, I also found myself engrossed in a much smaller community, one that had ties all of it but was still its own entity. Yes, Sonic Pandemonium, or The Perfect Chaos Gang as it would later be called. We were a rag tag bunch, sitting on the fringe of humanity, talking about Sonic, insulting Samantha Clarfet and her hoaxes and pie, even if she might not have been real. We insulted AJ Freda, for his SegaSonic.Net site, though grand in its RealAudio and 64kpbs MP3 files, also held a site trying to rally people against the art style of the then-forthcoming Sonic Adventure game. It's funny how, in hindsight, so many more now agree with him, but at the time, it was sacrilegious to question the glory that was Sonic Team.

Oh, Sonic Adventure. I remember staying up late at night, watching the super compressed stream of the unveiling to the game, on the smallest screen of RealStreaming, and how I was entranced. How I ate up every new screenshot that came its way, how I longed for ages as to how something like that should have been on the Saturn, but was now on the Dreamcast. Yes, it was magic, and even if the game has all sorts of flaws, there is still something magical about it, especially if you sit there watching those ancient Japanese commercials for it, the music pumping through your veins...

It's funny to think that back then, we still praised people like Ken Penders. How the Sonic the Comic mailing list was brand new, and being able to interact with Nigel Kitching was mind blowing, though now it is common place for anyone who attends Summer of Sonic. The idea of being able to hassle Ohshima on Facebook was not even a possibility at the time. Sonic X-Treme? Who the hell knew what happened there!

Of course, things change. They have to change. Pachuka and his Sonic Cult arose to directly compete with the SSRG. The hacking of the Moogle Cavern by those who adored his edgy commentary was just one incident to show that times were a-changing. Solly, that crazed French fangirl, hid her collection from prying eyes because Pachuka was a meany to her, putting up CG art of the Chaotix from Sonic Heroes before he was supposed to. The exchange of Andy Wolan closing down his sites because of the stress from dealing with Pachuka has become legendary, not to mention his public declaration of a bleeding anus, a direct result of his mental duress. Looking back, Sonic Cult needed to happen. We needed those growing pains, the competition, the evolution. Faces from those who survived, who went to both the Cult and the message boards of the SSRG now reside on places like Sonic Retro, the mentality both a reflection of eras past and a refinement of the fact that we have become adults, whether we like it or not. We're not young and innocent anymore, and sometimes our bitterness can shied us away from those bright eyed youths who look at this pile of history and want to make their own mark in the world, youths that we were once ourselves, trying to inherit an early community of men and women also entering adulthood and realizing the Saturday morning cartoon was not coming back and their only look to that source was being run by a guy who wanted to kill Princess Sally.

Oh, I sometimes yearn for the days of Geocities, of a million random websites each holding fan characters and terrible fanfics. Angelfire, Xoom, Tripod. Fueling insanity as far as the eye can see. An era where SONICFAN reigned supreme, where GeishaJeanette and PinkFairyLotus could show up at any time and say something completely insane. Where we could talk in AIM chatrooms named after automobiles, of how talking potato waffles were in vogue, and how we could go on and on and on about ourselves in sprite comics that sent us to the very edge of imagination. Those days might be gone, but the spirit does live on. It is simply matured, refined, like a wine hidden in a bottle at the back of your cellar, just waiting to be cracked open again. And sites like The Sonic Stadium, which have somehow not only existed during all of this but still has Dreadknux affiliated with it at some level? That just goes to show how all of these crazy shenanigans have come and gone.

Heck, I haven't even reminisced about IRC, of Sonic Robo Blast 2 and #lemonade and the Sonic Power Ring and...and...I think I'm contractually obligated to mention Sonikku to Emi no Ai.

Right so I got the Internet in 1997 but didn't actively go on the Moogle Cavern until 2000.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:23:44 PM by David The Lurker »

<Keith> MANY PEOPLE ON EVAN'S FLOOR ARE PROBABLY YIFFING RIGHT NOW.

April 14, 2014, 05:56:53 PM
Reply #45

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
I imagine the child version of David looking exactly the same as he does now, but the size of a child. And then that reminds me of the American version of Dark Water for some reason.

April 14, 2014, 08:42:14 PM
Reply #46

Keith Stack

• Ringmaster

• The prettiest.

• View Profile
I could listen to David reminisce about the internet all day.

April 14, 2014, 10:16:53 PM
Reply #47

David The Lurker

• Lurker Extraordinaire

• lursk

• View Profile
    • lursk
I could listen to David reminisce about the internet all day.

then you should call me sometime ;)

<Keith> MANY PEOPLE ON EVAN'S FLOOR ARE PROBABLY YIFFING RIGHT NOW.

April 14, 2014, 10:58:59 PM
Reply #48

SonKnuck

• Ring connoisseur

• Omelette Du Démarrer

• View Profile
    • SonKnuck Adventures
God damn it David! You actually had to go and "Beat that!" after I challenged all to do so by taking us all along into a trip to the past. This is one rare wall of text that was actually worth reading.

Seriously, that TPCG archive oh my god... Some of the stuff I made... what was I thinking? Also just made me realize I still have the old TPCG website stored on my older computer.

April 15, 2014, 04:23:28 AM
Reply #49

Matt_TY

• Person That Does Some Things

• View Profile
    • Sonic Vegemite
Oh ye gods look at all of that stuff. Good ol' TPCG.
It was a different era.
AND SUCH