Advanced Search

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 3Mix -- my narcissistic post  (Read 35098 times)

August 09, 2014, 04:56:14 PM
Reply #25

Keith Stack

• Ringmaster

• The prettiest.

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros. 3Mix -- my narcissistic post
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 04:56:14 PM »
For shits and giggles, I tried my hand at making an NES Pianta sprite. As it turns out, it's very hard to make anything look like anything with the NES's limitations.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 04:59:42 PM by Keith Stack »

August 09, 2014, 06:20:03 PM
Reply #26

Keith Stack

• Ringmaster

• The prettiest.

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 06:20:03 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxj3C_pDlho

I think I found a glitch? It's consistent too, I can do this over and over.

August 09, 2014, 06:39:48 PM
Reply #27

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• AKA "RobS" and something Epoch

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 06:39:48 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxj3C_pDlho

I think I found a glitch? It's consistent too, I can do this over and over.

That's a new one.

August 25, 2014, 09:48:27 PM
Reply #28

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 09:48:27 PM »
For shits and giggles, I tried my hand at making an NES Pianta sprite. As it turns out, it's very hard to make anything look like anything with the NES's limitations.

When you jump on him, does he explode? Because I think he should explode.

August 26, 2014, 04:08:56 AM
Reply #29

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 04:08:56 AM »
I would rather point out the flaws in something creative than the positives, because that's how progress is made.

Can I just say I disagree with this statement?

If someone puts a lot of work into something (ie. pretty much every decent creative output ever), pointing out what is good about it is at least as important as what is bad. Pointing out what's good validates the work, shows what elements it succeeded on, and this allows others to copy the good elements for their project, and for the creator to know what to emphasise when making a sequel or other works. As someone who's made a game, I can tell you it's impossible to make a game purely by focusing on mistakes to avoid. You instead need to focus on something good that you can bring to fruition, and maybe a handful of problems to avoid. Trying to create a game by just looking at all the potential flaws you don't want, is like trying to drive a car by focusing on everything you don't want to crash into: You'll probably get lost because you're never thinking about where you're going and you're likely to crash anyway either by fixating on something or focusing so much on one obstetrical that you never notice another one.

I've noticed this whole culture on the internet of obsession with negativity and problems, and it quickly crosses over from productive criticism to outright entitlement and whining. If someone constantly focuses on the problems with something, then how can they ever be satisfied or catered to? And if someone does see the positives of something but only mentions their negative opinions, how can they be distinguished from the former group? The attitude basically implies superhuman endurance on the part of the creator, that they are someone who's forging ahead, should be able to take everyone and their dog saying bad things about their game (or else their weak), and expect them to still be able to focus on whatever makes the game good in the first place.

In short, progress is made because people are motivated by creating something positive or good, not because they want to avoid making problems or flaw. This is why an emphasis on what is good and/or succeeds about something is important, as it gives people a goal to aim for and helps encourage creativity and production. Focusing too much on the negative aspects, especially without balancing them out with the good aspects, can just demotivate creators, and that's not exactly something that will help anyone.

August 26, 2014, 09:35:54 AM
Reply #30

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 09:35:54 AM »
Thanks for that, Sofox... I think I wanted to express this, but I just came off as sounding egotistical and arrogant instead. I am not good at PR.

While what started all of this was a string of AJ's complaints which I admit I wasn't ready to handle all at once, it's not that they were necessarily invalid (although some of them are minority opinions against all feedback I've received), I also didn't see the point in someone expressing a purely negative view. Sort of like if I were to try cooking a new food for a friend, if the friend said "it was good but too spicy", I can try to adjust the spice. If they just throw it on the floor and say that the spice absolutely ruined it, I'd be more inclined to never try that dish again.

Now, from my end, I'll admit I need to figure out the right way to handle an all-negative review, assuming said review does contain some valid criticisms (which AJ's did) without responding in a way that also makes me sound like I feel entitled. Probably better to just answer criticisms rather than try a line like "Well, everyone ELSE likes this"... if the majority really does like whatever it is, the creator thinks it turned out to-vision, and you're talking to the one guy that didn't like it, is the best thing to do is just say "I'm sorry you didn't like it"? Try to explain it? That's one of those fuzzy points for me.

Anyway, overall if anyone's worried about me personally, I didn't take AJ's review internally and curl up and die or anything. I gave my fumbled answer and moved on. I'm still happy with 3Mix despite the flaws I know it has. Sure, I wish certain things about it were better, and wouldn't we all love a 100% bug-free piece of software, but I still feel like I did what I set out to do, and the majority of the feedback has been positive, so clearly other folks did overall appreciate it and enjoy it. I doubt I could ask for much more than that.

Also, Keith's sprite is kind of a neat interpretation, but glad he realized that it's hard to make anything look like anything. :P Seemed to have captured the bulbous head better. I could consider putting it in if I ever get around to doing a bug-fix release.

When you jump on him, does he explode? Because I think he should explode.

In what sense?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:15:41 PM by Southbird »

August 26, 2014, 11:30:56 PM
Reply #31

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 11:30:56 PM »
Incense.

But actually I was thinking Zelda-style rather than Mortal Kombat style, if that helps. Also if there is a game where dead'd enemies turn into confetti.

August 27, 2014, 12:36:37 PM
Reply #32

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 12:36:37 PM »
Incense.

But actually I was thinking Zelda-style rather than Mortal Kombat style, if that helps. Also if there is a game where dead'd enemies turn into confetti.

In all seriousness, do you know this is supposed to be a Pianta?

August 27, 2014, 11:13:04 PM
Reply #33

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 11:13:04 PM »
I guess, but I don't remember what that is! Weren't those the dudes from Mario Sunshine?

August 28, 2014, 09:15:53 AM
Reply #34

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2014, 09:15:53 AM »
I guess, but I don't remember what that is! Weren't those the dudes from Mario Sunshine?

Residents of Delfino Island, yes. Typically not of the exploding variety.

August 28, 2014, 08:26:41 PM
Reply #35

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2014, 08:26:41 PM »
Fine, we'll palette swap 'em and make them evil Piantas that explode.

August 28, 2014, 08:35:27 PM
Reply #36

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2014, 08:35:27 PM »
Fine, we'll palette swap 'em and make them evil Piantas that explode.

Hm, searching for "exploding Pianta" took me to this

September 01, 2014, 09:57:35 PM
Reply #37

Spazz

• Ringleader

• peent

• View Profile
    • peent
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 09:57:35 PM »
Thanks for the fun game, Rob.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

September 01, 2014, 10:21:26 PM
Reply #38

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2014, 10:21:26 PM »
Nice.

September 04, 2014, 02:37:31 PM
Reply #39

Vexiss

• Should go on a ring diet

• RIP Lucky

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2014, 02:37:31 PM »
spazz games so hard?

September 09, 2014, 09:22:23 PM
Reply #40

Eric

• farts

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2014, 09:22:23 PM »
Forget the achievement.  Gotta have respect for playing it on a CRT.  (or at least what appears to be one?)  The crappy portable antenna is the icing on the cake

January 09, 2015, 05:35:45 PM
Reply #41

AnKylo

• Ring connoisseur

• Also known as Hearty Beef 'n Potatoes.

• View Profile
    • SpadeRunner Illustrations

January 09, 2015, 10:33:35 PM
Reply #42

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2015, 10:33:35 PM »
http://cinemassacre.com/2015/01/08/super-mario-3mix-nes-mod-review-by-mike/

Yeah, the BS is I totally did not put in deliberate death start points. I think that cart he obtained has a bad ROM. I should have implemented a self-verifying checksum routine. But I guess I never thought it'd get picked up by so many different repro companies. :P At some point I will record me playing with the only cart I had any part in, showing 7-6 doesn't actually start that way. Self-verification will definitely will be required if I do any future ROM hacks.

It actually is my fault, sort of. Someone figured it out... you get about halfway through 7-6 and it locks you into a fake checkpoint for some reason. Oh well. It can be worked around by entering any other level to reset the checkpoint. You just have to do 7-6 in one shot.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 06:36:08 PM by Southbird »

January 24, 2015, 10:38:53 AM
Reply #43

Mr. T

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2015, 10:38:53 AM »
I got to this thanks Mike's review. (shows you how much I've been away from this place)
Pretty great job, Rob.

January 24, 2015, 01:12:02 PM
Reply #44

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2015, 01:12:02 PM »
I got to this thanks Mike's review. (shows you how much I've been away from this place)
Pretty great job, Rob.

Thanks... now just to figure out what next experimental project may or may not grab attention of the general public. :P

January 24, 2015, 08:00:03 PM
Reply #45

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2015, 08:00:03 PM »
I remember poo-poo'ing working on old platforms in the past, but with the rise of asm.js/emscripten/llvm, and in particular archive.org's amazing project taking advantage of these things, I think the sky's the limit for basically any quirky project anybody can think of for legacy hardware.

At the very least, optimizing for an old platform means a single-threaded web browser can run it! Not to mention the general coolness...

January 29, 2015, 05:13:57 AM
Reply #46

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2015, 05:13:57 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngg3JJx8TJA

The first 40 seconds were the most confusing of my life. Especially when the Beagle Boys showed up.

January 29, 2015, 04:47:24 PM
Reply #47

SoNick

• Ring connoisseur

• No longer seeking applications for new picture

• View Profile
    • SoNick's vaguely coherent ramblings
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2015, 04:47:24 PM »
Youtube's auto-captions + auto-translate didn't help much; there were a few times where I could understand what was meant with the miniscule amount of German that I know but the captions had some nonsense instead.
these links are old:
MySpace | Sonic Retro Wiki Entry | ImageShack

January 31, 2015, 06:17:31 PM
Reply #48

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2015, 06:17:31 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngg3JJx8TJA

The first 40 seconds were the most confusing of my life. Especially when the Beagle Boys showed up.

lmao

January 31, 2015, 06:48:59 PM
Reply #49

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2015, 06:48:59 PM »
I watched it again with my sister, our best guess is he's talking about "unlicensed" games in general. I suspect he was saying something like most unlicensed games are just cash cow garbage made by pirate type groups. So what happens when you combine the criminal pirate type activity of making an unlicensed game (Beagle Boys) with actual intelligence and capability (Gyro Gearloose.) That's my guess anyway without an interpreter.