Advanced Search

Author Topic: So, I made this video on YouTube.  (Read 1967 times)

July 28, 2014, 02:54:07 PM
Read 1967 times

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
So, I made this video on YouTube.
« on: July 28, 2014, 02:54:07 PM »
And, as annoying as self advertisement can be sometimes, I kinda gotta do it if I want ... views?

I have stream on Twitch that me and some friends do every Tuesday and Friday, but I had decided  like eight years ago that I had wanted to make game reviews at some point. So, my plan is to do them WITH the people I stream with as well, same style video as I'm posting here, but with not just me every time. I had fun making it, and it took a lottttt longer than I could have imagined. It has some cheese to it, but I've been told it was at least entertaining, so I plan on making more in the future as well.

Anyway, if y-you guys wouldn't mind watchin' it and like ... I dunno.... sharing or commenting or whatever THAT WOULD BE COOL. Or, ya know, shit on me, whatever works.

http://youtu.be/CoL0gExc26w

So uh, yeah.

(that's a totally sincere like "hey can you like/comment/share this?" question by the way. Only way I am going to get views right now on shit is by asking so ... any help is nice)

July 28, 2014, 08:00:45 PM
Reply #1

Vexiss

• Should go on a ring diet

• RIP Lucky

• View Profile
Re: So, I made this video on YouTube.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 08:00:45 PM »
will do

July 29, 2014, 07:29:56 AM
Reply #2

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:29:56 AM »
Cool vid, enjoyed watching it!

July 29, 2014, 05:43:27 PM
Reply #3

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 05:43:27 PM »
Thanks! I had originally had a fair bit of more content, but cut it once the length started getting near 8 minutes. Over all though, I'm happy with the progress that was made. I already started capturing game footage for my next one, but it will probably be a decent while in the making. Never realized what an insanely long process the whole thing is, ignoring having to play through the games and stuff, but just the editing, storyboard, etc.

August 01, 2014, 03:07:41 PM
Reply #4

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• AKA "RobS" and something Epoch

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 03:07:41 PM »
I think your chosen length was pretty good. Echoing YouTube comments (which the video felt lonely without):

Per your performance in general: I think you've definitely got potential. Probably needs a better logo (I'm just thinking people might take a look at the puke of colored blobs and think you're just some kid.) I'm also not sold on the interwoven and rapidly changing assortment of other video game music. I get that the source game here only has one song ad nauseam, but I'd almost rather just have a silent background while you talk. I guess hearing other video game music makes me think of other video games instead of focusing on the one in discussion.

Other than that, you've got a good face for video, and I think your speech patterns are interesting enough to remain engaged.

I can only vaguely say it doesn't feel quite like you've found your niche in your performance yet, but this is more of a gut feeling and I'm not sure how to word it exactly. I'm sure that will come with time, I doubt any early YouTube performance is like its later incarnation.

That's my take on it anyway. Would be nice if you get some more viewers and opinions. :(

August 07, 2014, 10:09:22 AM
Reply #5

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 10:09:22 AM »
Yeah, it's definitely a work in progress. I am working on the next video, just wish I knew how to promote this one a bit more. It's one of those weird things where like, you don't WANT to bug people for views or comments, but you kind of have to if you want to go anywhere with it. And that being said, it's a littttttle frustrating when your friends or whatever watch it but don't ... buffer the comments?

Like you said, without any, it feels lonely, so it'd be nice if when people take the time to view things, if they attached their opinion to it too, just to help the over all "view" (as that also helps get it views too), but again, can't ask for too much, I suppose.

August 07, 2014, 11:15:49 AM
Reply #6

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 11:15:49 AM »
Any of you in this thread who watched his vid, you should post your thoughts on the vid, if only to legitimize it a bit.

August 07, 2014, 01:50:01 PM
Reply #7

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 01:50:01 PM »
It's just... I don't watch video's like this a lot so it's hard to critique it.

Well, except for Fitzthistlewits, but yeah.

Overall, I liked watching.

August 07, 2014, 01:52:55 PM
Reply #8

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 01:52:55 PM »
It's just... I don't watch video's like this a lot so it's hard to critique it.

Can always just say generics... I liked the way you present, I don't like X, Y was good but needs improving, etc. Just treat it like any performance. Not having experience in the type of video might even be better since your answers can't be biased.

August 09, 2014, 11:10:16 AM
Reply #9

BlazeHedgehog

• Ring connoisseur

• Do Blue Hedgehogs

• Dream of Electric Eggs?

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 11:10:16 AM »
I keep meaning to say something about this, but I was busy producing my own video review (for Mario Kart 8)

I think it's pretty good! But I would be lying if I wasn't constantly having flashbacks to this "Youtube Game Reviewer Tropes" video I saw a few months ago:

[youtube]7LgTU1F4XqA[/youtube]

But, I mean, I'm guilty of some of that stuff, so don't think it's too hard of a knock or anything (and re-watching it now, I don't necessarily know that you actually do anything from this video? I'm probably just crazy)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 05:53:40 PM by BlazeHedgehog »