Advanced Search

Author Topic: So... that whole GamersGate thing  (Read 84448 times)

January 17, 2015, 11:07:55 PM
Reply #300

James

• Should go on a ring diet

• blah

• View Profile
    • My dA site
Re: So... that whole GamersGate thing
« Reply #300 on: January 17, 2015, 11:07:55 PM »
How do you think I feel? That's the reason Jenny and I (and I'm quite sure others) had to block him - he just refuses to believe the narrative he's bought into is outright wrong, no matter what evidence is provided to him.

But then, from what I've been told, a good deal of the Sonic fandom including TSSZ bought into the narrative and became SJWs.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:09:53 PM by James »

January 17, 2015, 11:35:33 PM
Reply #301

Squishdiboo

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 17, 2015, 11:35:33 PM »
TimmiT popped in and said something barely offensive and James is all aggressively rude about it.  Makes me want to side with TimmiT about this, because he's apparently capable of expressing an opinion in a reasonable way, considering he's an "utterly biased fuckface."

January 17, 2015, 11:40:53 PM
Reply #302

James

• blah

• View Profile
    • My dA site
« Reply #302 on: January 17, 2015, 11:40:53 PM »
You haven't seen him on Twitter.

January 17, 2015, 11:46:23 PM
Reply #303

Squishdiboo

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 17, 2015, 11:46:23 PM »
You're not doing a very good job representing yourself, or your perspective.  You sound like people who watch too much Fox News and just spout off stupid angry buzzwords at anybody who has an actual opinion about things because they happen to disagree with you.

January 17, 2015, 11:48:21 PM
Reply #304

James

• blah

• View Profile
    • My dA site
« Reply #304 on: January 17, 2015, 11:48:21 PM »
And since when do YOU care about how I represent myself? You've never given a shit about anyone unless you've been in close proximity!

January 17, 2015, 11:53:40 PM
Reply #305

Squishdiboo

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 17, 2015, 11:53:40 PM »
What are you even talking about?

January 17, 2015, 11:55:54 PM
Reply #306

James

• blah

• View Profile
    • My dA site
« Reply #306 on: January 17, 2015, 11:55:54 PM »
Whatever. What the fuck ever.

It isn't my fault that the fuckface decided to drag his willfully-ignorant-for-months ass back into here to stir up shit.

And I'm not going to entertain this shit anymore, including how you and I NEVER see eye-to-eye on anything.

I'm starting to think Jenny had the right fucking idea when she left.

January 17, 2015, 11:58:07 PM
Reply #307

Squishdiboo

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 17, 2015, 11:58:07 PM »
I know this might be a "pot calling the kettle black" situation here, but boy oh boy do you need to calm down.  You're super overreacting.  But please do leave.  Lord knows you're not fun to keep around.

January 18, 2015, 12:01:27 AM
Reply #308

James

• blah

• View Profile
    • My dA site
« Reply #308 on: January 18, 2015, 12:01:27 AM »
Congratulations. Have fun becoming the SJW Sonic community, barely fucking lite.

Unlikable bitch.

January 18, 2015, 12:06:08 AM
Reply #309

Keith Stack

• Ringmaster

• The prettiest.

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 18, 2015, 12:06:08 AM »
Hey, that was uncalled for!

Squishdiboo is a very likable bitch.

January 18, 2015, 12:08:12 AM
Reply #310

Squishdiboo

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 18, 2015, 12:08:12 AM »
Ha ha.  I've seen threads on this forum wondering where I am and requesting that I return, but I doubt we'll see anybody going "oh man what happened to J the great fellow who called everybody who disagreed with him a fuckface and a Social Justice Warrior? He was so fun to talk to!"

Enjoy your delusions and Extreme Internet Rage, though.

January 18, 2015, 12:22:10 AM
Reply #311

Squishdiboo

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 18, 2015, 12:22:10 AM »
This must be how Dorothy felt when she accidentally splashed some harmless water onto the Wicked Witch and the woman melted to death.

January 18, 2015, 03:37:13 AM
Reply #312

TimmiT

• Ring connoisseur

• Doesn't know what to put here.

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 18, 2015, 03:37:13 AM »
Oh...

Oh geeze...

Right, ignoring all of those insults you just made: I didn't "buy into any narrative". I actually looked at the Twitter hashtag, KotakuInAction, 4chan and 8chan quite a few times and found out for myself that it mostly is just people getting angry about opinions and responding to those in offensive ways. I didn't buy into anything Anita Sarkeesian, Leigh Alexander, Zoe Quinn or any "SJW" said about GamerGate, I actually looked into it myself. If there's any narrative I bought into, it was that GamerGate could actually better game journalism for the one week I actually supported it. While if anything, it's made it harder to.

You don't need to be part of some movement to try to better game journalism, you can try to point the stuff out to gaming sites that they could improve. If they listen: great. If they don't: then whatever, just don't read that gaming site if you're really that bothered by it. But trying to make these sites, or the writers of these sites, look like villains because of it as long as you don't agree with them probably isn't the right way to change their stance. That will just about remove any chance of them actually listening to you, as it's become so personal and uncomfortable to talk about.

Really the message GamerGate generally brings seems to be this: "Agree with us or we'll try to make you look like a big bad guy". If that's actually the truth is maybe debatable, but that's not the point. It's the message the hashtag/movement brings to the people you're trying to reach with this thing. And maybe there's some truth to that considering the way you responded to me just now about this thing.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 04:34:17 AM by TimmiT »

January 18, 2015, 05:18:26 AM
Reply #313

Fadflamer

• Global Moderator

• That Guy With The Milky Plush

• That's as many as Four Tens. And that's Terrible.

• View Profile
    • BleistiftAnsatz Sissy - Dead Autism Forever
« Reply #313 on: January 18, 2015, 05:18:26 AM »
From following GamerGate as much as I've been able to in the last few months, and only having looked at pages 12 and 13 of this thread, I think Sofox nailed the basic core idea.

All movements/religions/fandoms/etc involve radical fuckwits, sane people interested in a conversation to understand things, and folks in between. It's important to be able to look passed the harshly insane fuckwittery and blind dick sucking to look at and understand what people's concerns are.

From what I can gather, media tends to side with what will garner views. It's gone to shit, and joining in with the painting people as mysoginists circlejerking is a safe route, because questioning the legitimacy of a claim of mysoginy is becoming toxic.

Playing the 4chan is toxic card is the mark of a society that thinks it is better than what actual raw humanity looks like and is too anally ravaged to handle people disagreeing with them. I sort of understand that it might be intimidating, maybe, but learning how to not give a shit about unconstrctive critisism is important, just as learning to accept constructive criticism is helpful. Developing a thick skin is necessary to life in general.

On a side note, that Jon McIntosh guy is a laugh riot. Him writing for FemFrequency helped me get an idea of why people don't care for it. Shit's crazy.

Just some thoughts. Gonna go back to playing some non walking simulator vidya.

January 18, 2015, 05:45:05 AM
Reply #314

Squishdiboo

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 18, 2015, 05:45:05 AM »
I just think it's funny that somebody so committed to a cause can't handle having someone criticizing his method of communicating it to the point where he Quits In Rage and retreats to the womb of Twitter where he knows he can find comfort in his fellow pro-Gamergate buzzword spewers convinced that everybody who isn't All About The Cause is a Social Justice Warrior and The Enemy.

I mean, you want to talk about circle jerks, brainwashings, and "buying into narratives"..... well, there was a good example of it.

January 18, 2015, 05:46:45 AM
Reply #315

Matt_TY

• Enjoys a hearty bowl of rings each morning

• Person That Does Some Things

• View Profile
    • Sonic Vegemite
« Reply #315 on: January 18, 2015, 05:46:45 AM »
TimmiT: From what little I've seen, there have been people on both sides who have been more than guilty of that "message" you mention. Hell, even staying neutral I've had to unfollow people I formerly liked and respected as I saw their Twitter feeds degenerate into something out of Lord of the Flies. It's hard to make polite suggestions to people chanting "KILL THE PIG SMASH HIM IN".

EDIT: I was going to write something big here but... basically, what Fadsy and Sofox said. If your argument against a group of people begins with the words "All [members of group] are", you are wrong.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 05:55:08 AM by Matt_TY »
AND SUCH

January 18, 2015, 05:49:24 AM
Reply #316

TimmiT

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 18, 2015, 05:49:24 AM »
The sane people in GamerGate, if there are any, seem to be the minority though. You don't have to look much further than the first page of KotakuInAction to see if most of them are actually talking about game journalism.

Matt_TY: That'd be assuming that there are two sides. "Anti-GamerGate" isn't a group people are willingly a part of, it's a group GamerGate puts people in. While GamerGate is a group people are willingly a part of.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 05:52:30 AM by TimmiT »

January 18, 2015, 06:22:42 AM
Reply #317

0005 maS maS

• Ringmixers

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 18, 2015, 06:22:42 AM »

January 18, 2015, 06:33:04 AM
Reply #318

Matt_TY

• View Profile
    • Sonic Vegemite
« Reply #318 on: January 18, 2015, 06:33:04 AM »
TimmiT: A ragtag bunch of heroes, thrown together by necessity against a great evil, most of whom are evil for evil's sake and hate all good and nice in the world? Sorry, mate, I'm not buying it. The good guys here are the ones who want to talk to each other and listen to each other. I don't know what "side" or supposed lack thereof these good people are on and I don't care. Everyone else is just along for the ride and they should stop.
AND SUCH

January 18, 2015, 06:58:53 AM
Reply #319

TimmiT

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 18, 2015, 06:58:53 AM »
Not sure how you got to the conclusion that I was trying to say that.

January 18, 2015, 07:22:51 AM
Reply #320

Matt_TY

• View Profile
    • Sonic Vegemite
« Reply #320 on: January 18, 2015, 07:22:51 AM »
Well, you seem to believe that "sane people" on one side are "in the minority", whereas there is no other side, meaning that the people who prominently oppose the one "side" must all be doing so individually, and if collaborating, are doing so solely because they have been "put in a group" and are "not willingly part of it". I am sorry if I tend to drift into hyperbole but I've had months and months of seeing this crap from the majority of people on either... well, ok, if you don't like "side", then, people of both extremes of opinion, happy? and for me it all boils down to THEM BAD US GOOD for differing values of "US" and "THEM" and I simply am not inclined to believe it and it saddens me that sensible voices in the middle of all this are being outright ignored in favour of more pointless mud-slinging from both groups.
AND SUCH

January 18, 2015, 07:58:46 AM
Reply #321

Zodberg

• Playing it bogard.

• the day Adorable won

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 18, 2015, 07:58:46 AM »
this thread brings out the luckett in me

January 18, 2015, 08:00:25 AM
Reply #322

TimmiT

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 18, 2015, 08:00:25 AM »
Well, it's hard to be neutral when it comes to what basically amounts to a hate group. I'm sorry for my use of hyperbole earlier, but the people who actually do try to improve game journalism seem to be in the minority. Again, you can take a look at KIA and see how much they discuss "SJWs" and their opinions rather than game journalism problems.

And while it is "THEM BAD US GOOD", you have to consider where each "side" comes from. From GamerGate's perspective, they are usually throwing these accusations around because of video game journalism at best or because of an opinion at worst. From the perspective of people like Zoe Quinn or Leigh Alexander, they are throwing these accusations around because of accusations against them at best or because of the huge amount of harassment they've been getting for months now at worst. Which again makes it kinda hard to stay neutral about this thing.

January 19, 2015, 08:05:17 PM
Reply #323

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #323 on: January 19, 2015, 08:05:17 PM »
Whoa, um, I step out for a bit and this happens?

Anyway, while there are a lot of details, I do agree with Matt's point that the good guys are those who want to talk and listen. That doesn't means they sacrifice their views or convictions or beliefs, it just means that they understand other people also have views and convictions and beliefs, and that maybe if they discuss things, they can both end up closer to what they want.

January 20, 2015, 11:07:59 PM
Reply #324

SoNick

• 3 ring meals a day

• Seeking applications for new profile picture

• View Profile
    • SoNick's vaguely coherent ramblings
« Reply #324 on: January 20, 2015, 11:07:59 PM »
Yo, hadn't really weighed in on this before, surprised it's still going on now.

Anyway, Matt's hit the nail on the head for the most part, but there is one quote that I absolutely don't want lost in the other posts:
You don't need to be part of some movement to try to better game journalism, you can try to point the stuff out to gaming sites that they could improve. If they listen: great. If they don't: then whatever, just don't read that gaming site if you're really that bothered by it.
This is simply amazing and I think that it's what we really should take with us from this conversation.