Advanced Search

Author Topic: SER Death Theory  (Read 65538 times)

February 25, 2015, 08:27:35 PM
Reply #125

AnKylo

• Ring connoisseur

• Also known as Hearty Beef 'n Potatoes.

• View Profile
    • SpadeRunner Illustrations
Re: SER Death Theory
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2015, 08:27:35 PM »
I have managed to meet a few people over the years from this community,

Didn't I meet you at a One Piece movie showing or was that someone else? Just purely by complete accident.

February 27, 2015, 12:09:27 AM
Reply #126

Mirai

• Ring connoisseur

• Wanderluster

• 心無きの戦士

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2015, 12:09:27 AM »
Didn't I meet you at a One Piece movie showing or was that someone else? Just purely by complete accident.

That sounds just like one of his Japanese animes.

February 27, 2015, 05:15:40 AM
Reply #127

HEDGESMFG

• Enjoys a hearty bowl of rings each morning

• Captain Bright demands an explanation for this...

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2015, 05:15:40 AM »
Not sure, as I wasn't going to a One Piece premiere personally... though we could've met in a line, maybe?

This is one of my more infamous con appearances though, if that helps... (As Otacon, that is. Sorry, I'm not David Hayter.)

February 27, 2015, 09:49:11 AM
Reply #128

Squishdiboo

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2015, 09:49:11 AM »
I have physically violated 90% of Sonic Eats Rings

February 27, 2015, 04:47:58 PM
Reply #129

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2015, 04:47:58 PM »
they were asking for it.

February 27, 2015, 11:22:23 PM
Reply #130

Squishdiboo

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2015, 11:22:23 PM »
They should have dressed more modestly

February 28, 2015, 01:35:30 PM
Reply #131

Josh

• Ring connoisseur

• TGC Warrior

• Bring it on home!

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2015, 01:35:30 PM »
I love this place, I love you guys, and it always makes me happy that it's still here.

March 23, 2015, 12:22:42 PM
Reply #132

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2015, 12:22:42 PM »
I mean ... _I_ was the one who suggested merging the two forums. At the time, it made sense, because the Fluff Forum was the only thing really being used, nobody posted in the "general discussion" anymore.

Realistically, it got to a point where the community was so tight knit, that having multiple forums was pointless, because it was only ever the same people making posts and talking anyway,so why make them jump through hoops to do so? If the forum was thriving and active, sure, having multiple forums makes sense, but ... that just isn't the case.

This place wasn't even nearly as active as The Moogle Cavern in it's prime,but it really shouldn't be hard to figure out why? I mean, even when this did spring up, by that time all of us were already adults,and now ... we're .... still adults? It's hard to juggle a full time job, your hobbies,and things you want to get DONE all while like endlessly refreshing a forum page. We're not 14 years old anymore with endless time to sit and stare and wait for the post we made to be bumped back up to the top because somebody actually replied to it.

Plus, yeah, other social media exists now, and everybody seems to have moved on to that.

Out of all of the original members of MC and SER, I have an actual friendship with ONE person, being David the Lurker. Everybody else is just ...gone. The rest are occasional like "oh man remember when...?!" Facebook/Twitter pals or whatever.

I think my time here slowed down just around the time life got all crazy for me, and I went for a while without a computer because mine broke. I just didn't have the TIME to come here anymore because of everything else going on. And now, while I do have a bit more time, I just don't care to as much. The "magic" is gone. If I wanted to see what Squishdiboo's opinions on everything are at every point in time, I'd follow her on twitter or friend her on Facebook, and I do neither. And since barely anyone else posts ... Yeah!

March 24, 2015, 12:13:01 AM
Reply #133

Squishdiboo

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2015, 12:13:01 AM »
I don't hardly even post here anymore. Everybody I want to talk to from here is my lovely actual friend and we text or FB message in secret.

March 27, 2015, 07:35:00 PM
Reply #134

Eric

• farts

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »
I friended Squishdiboo on my Facebook and it has been one of the most magical experiences of my life.

March 28, 2015, 12:47:33 AM
Reply #135

Squishdiboo

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2015, 12:47:33 AM »
Aw shucks Eric

April 01, 2015, 06:01:15 PM
Reply #136

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2015, 06:01:15 PM »
this place diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiied, because it's really harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd to have a conversation. 4me. ppup.

life used to be so fun and silly. now i feel like a run down old hag. no matter how many cups of coffee i have.

and nobody has a niche! a niche..uh..damn words are hard today.

April 02, 2015, 07:44:44 AM
Reply #137

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2015, 07:44:44 AM »
yaj, you've really described some of the things I'm feeling. I haven't given up, there's aways fun things, but I've been spending time thinking of how the wreckless abandon doesn't seem to be so present anymore.

April 05, 2015, 02:53:02 AM
Reply #138

DiscoChao

• 3 ring meals a day

• Founder of the Funktastic 4

• Buddy.gif IS GONE FOOLS!

• View Profile
    • The Disco Launcher
« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2015, 02:53:02 AM »
What you should do is vow to play games together but then disagree on what games you want to play, and never actually play anything.

But in theory, group activities are group activities.

April 05, 2015, 11:10:26 PM
Reply #139

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2015, 11:10:26 PM »
i like playing this game called star search on lumosity. lets all play star search together.

April 07, 2015, 11:04:25 PM
Reply #140

Vexiss

• Should go on a ring diet

• RIP Lucky

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2015, 11:04:25 PM »
yaj, you've really described some of the things I'm feeling. I haven't given up, there's aways fun things, but I've been spending time thinking of how the wreckless abandon doesn't seem to be so present anymore.
less people with less joy for life

it was a good decision to friend squish on fb

i'm gonna find you eric and friend you !

i can't find a link for this star search game

April 12, 2015, 11:15:58 AM
Reply #141

H Hog

• Administrator

• can't enjoy his sandwich

• hwa~owh!

• View Profile
    • Coldflame
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2015, 11:15:58 AM »
I'm not sure I can ever really regard any post-MC member of the community as a real human being. Just scamps who don't remember the glory days when we were having too much fun with sprite edits.

:love: :yes: :pf: :um: :doher: :shocked:

WHAT DID YOU FORGET?

:moghead:

.... :sad:

I agree with a lot that has been said in this topic, especially the first few posts, the abrasive atmosphere of #lemonade that didn't draw me in despite people repeatedly inviting me, the fact that Kulock's captions were, in many cases, the best part of the hoaxes section (as well as a driving reason why I started making them and sending them to him specifically at the time), and the Fluff/General merger in retrospect being probably not that fantastic an idea as it seemed at the time (though well intended).
I still consider my time at the MC one of the most memorable periods of my past, and look back fondly on my memories of it, even if it hasn't all been sunshine and roses.
I particularly remember it being a source of inspiration and creativity that I simply have not been able to find or replicate elsewhere anymore -- be it creative writing (add-on stories), comedy (comics, hoaxes), or artwork (either traditional or spriting). Part of me really misses that.
There have also been some people here which I really enjoyed interacting with, and are now hard to find, or simply no longer around. A quick look in the custom emoticon-bar above the window I'm currently typing in brings quite a few of such people to mind.
It's regrettable how sour things also went between many people here, with the actions of one in particular still baffling me to this day as to why everyone seemed to just "be okay" with what went on.
I do feel that the EZboard era came closest to being our "heyday", and even though MoogleMB was amazing, the group did lose a bit of momentum (NOT going downhill, mind) when we couldn't bring in new people as easily as with that global-account system.
As far as the closure of MC and subsequent opening of SER is concerned, it's no secret that the closure of the MC came at what was already a really depressing time for me, and having SER there definitely helped me cope somewhat. For that I'm still rather thankful.
All in all, even though I've fallen out of contact with many of the people here, I still consider you guys some of the finest people I've come to know during the course of my life, and while I kind of wish we still had the same kind of mojo going as we did 10 years back, I'm glad this place is still around to just reminisce with likeminded people, however little may still be around by now.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:25:43 PM by H Hog »

Xbox Live: H Hoguera  --  NNID: HHoguera  --  PSN: H_Hoguera

April 12, 2015, 02:27:34 PM
Reply #142

Vexiss

• RIP Lucky

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2015, 02:27:34 PM »
getting old is rough. reckless abandon and fun loving silliness simply disappear

April 12, 2015, 03:02:41 PM
Reply #143

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2015, 03:02:41 PM »
hey, those two old guys in Sideways had a good time.

April 12, 2015, 08:48:58 PM
Reply #144

Tenniru

• eeeeeeeeeee

• Duty Now For The Future

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2015, 08:48:58 PM »
It hit me that SER has existed for about as long as the "original" Moogle Cavern did, if not a bit longer. My chronology may be off though.

I initially thought the merger of General Discussion and Fluff was kind of a bad move that signified a cultural shift towards a more directionless atmosphere, but it dawned on me much later that there isn't as much a need for a "website to have serious conversations on" in the age of Facebook and Twitter. (If there ever were to be such a site, would it really be this one?) The merger did consolidate and preserve the unique culture, though, which is a lot more important. I'm glad that this website continues to exist; it's impossible to justify it to anyone who wasn't there for the long haul.

April 12, 2015, 08:51:49 PM
Reply #145

Tenniru

• eeeeeeeeeee

• Duty Now For The Future

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2015, 08:51:49 PM »
(This year's obligatory post was brought to you by a strangely melancholic dream I had that, while not directly related, made me think of this place.)

April 14, 2015, 08:32:47 PM
Reply #146

Vexiss

• RIP Lucky

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2015, 08:32:47 PM »
you should think of us more friend

April 15, 2015, 10:06:00 AM
Reply #147

noeko

• loving life and living free

• artificial energy

• View Profile
    • My soundcloud.
« Reply #147 on: April 15, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
this is a post

April 15, 2015, 10:11:24 AM
Reply #148

noeko

• loving life and living free

• artificial energy

• View Profile
    • My soundcloud.
« Reply #148 on: April 15, 2015, 10:11:24 AM »
It's funny; as I've moved through community to community like a social butterfly accumulating friends some of my greatest and dearest friends come from the era of the Moogle Cavern and SFGHQ.  The internet's weird constant shifting landscape only seems to increase the speed with which it iterates as time goes by and the time where a community could slowly form around a common subject and last long enough for faces to become familiar seems to have long gone.  The nearest thing I seem to run into to the 'olden days' or whatever you wanna call 'em is skype chats.  Though lacking the same transient charm and madness AIM chats had back in the day; there's definitely small communities out there and the atmosphere kinda feels like it's somewhere between a message board and a chatroom.  Smaller twitch communities also end up kinda feeling like that; but that's about it.

everything else on the internet is fucking hell burn it all to the ground

April 18, 2015, 09:29:46 PM
Reply #149

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2015, 09:29:46 PM »
Hear hear.