Advanced Search

Author Topic: So ... Who here streams?  (Read 12615 times)

March 13, 2015, 07:42:43 PM
Read 12615 times

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
So ... Who here streams?
« on: March 13, 2015, 07:42:43 PM »
(there's gonna be some self advertisement here, BUT OH WELL)

SO I'm curious who all here streams? Preferably on Twitch. Reason is because I've been streaming for the last few years now, and  actually became a partnered stream on Twitch (twitch.tv/battlebuddiesgaming). Our biggest games are Monster Hunter (currently 4 Ultimate of course) and Smash Bros (we're all pretty involved with the Smash scene here so, we have a lot of top players as well as playing with viewers and what not), but we have a pretty set schedule for our stream.

THAT being said, the reason I ask if anybody streams or not is because I'm working on building a community. I want to sort of "take people under our wing" (not trying to sound in anyway conceited, just don't know of a better way to word it) per se, and make a stream team, as well as having people that we can support via our website battlebuddiesgaming.com (which is currently under construction BUT STILL). I'm curious if there is anyone here that enjoys streaming as much as I do, because like I said, I'm wanting to build a community, so I'd love to see some other streams and, ya know ... like .. work together and shit. BECAUSE IT'S FUNNNN.

Or, ya know, what're your opinions on streaming in general for those of you who don't do it?

March 13, 2015, 09:33:56 PM
Reply #1

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
Re: So ... Who here streams?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 09:33:56 PM »
I have a Stream channel at http://www.twitch.tv/sofox . While I like the idea of streaming, I don't do it that much.

The reason is that most of the time, no one is watching, and when someone is watching, I feel I have to "entertain" them and am not sure what to do. Most of the time I'm playing alone, so I'm not sure what to say, and if people do join, I don't know what they're looking for. Should I go violent? Stealth? Will they like my save scumming tactics or should I just play on? They're more likely to leave then provide feedback so I don't know how to improve of establish a rapore.

It's weird, but even though streaming sounds straightforward in practice, it's still something I don't fully understand, particularly what makes it appealing to watch or how to engage the audience.

March 13, 2015, 09:44:23 PM
Reply #2

Southbird

• Ring connoisseur

• AKA "RobS" and something Epoch

• Starbounder

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 09:44:23 PM »
Or, ya know, what're your opinions on streaming in general for those of you who don't do it?

Since I fall into this category ... I have an extremely limited worldview of streaming. 99% of them I just see as guys who play video games for an audience. This is almost certainly an over-generalization.

However, over the last year and especially the last few months, I've fallen into favor with the streaming community Vinesauce. Most people know who they are if for nothing else than Vinny's corruption streams which have raked in a noticeable amount of views on YouTube. I personally have undertaken a "full time" position specifically of editing out Vinny's Tomodachi Life stream, another one that took off amazingly well simply because he runs it like a soap opera that stars "creeps and weirdos", mostly made up of weird caricatures of some video game characters, some custom ones, and others.

Anyway, what really drew me into this stream was the right balance that Vinny and his crew seem to share. They're popular enough that a good deal of the general Internet population know of at least some of them, but not so popular they can't largely interact with their community, most notably their general chat. Even with a viewership of 1,000-4,000 (typically does hover somewhere in between), Vinny still manages to randomly pick out random chat messages and perform shtick to keep things interesting. And finally to top it off, posting art relevant to the stream is encouraged, which leads to a bit of an "art gallery" that follows the end of almost every stream. This is a really neat formula that I had never heard of before. I haven't watched all of the thousands of streamers on Twitch and elsewhere so I have no authority to call it unique (although it is to me personally), but I will say it's absolutely what's hooked me. I will watch streams of games I have little to no interest in just because Vinny's got that sort of showmanship that keeps it good otherwise.

Of course, I focused mainly on Vinny here since he's the "leader" and best known, but each streamer has their own identifiable personality and it usually dictates what kind of show they run. Like Vinny will seriously play "good, mainstream" games like Zelda, and yet also play ridiculous Indie games or broken games, and of course his infamous live corruption shows. But then there's Joel, arguably the second most popular, who likes to pick out bizarre DOS games or Japanese arcade titles or whatever else that can just provide a surreal experience in the realm of the forgotten. Joel makes it work by always sounding like he's enjoying himself even over the stupidest or otherwise dullest things. He made a very bland golf arcade game into a childish romp.

So, having said all that, streaming in general doesn't interest me. Vinesauce's showmanship in the way it streams does. It's not just watching someone play games, it's an interactive experience, and the different streamers all bring something to the table. It does mean that people gravitate towards some of them and not all of them, but I don't know if that's a bad thing necessarily.

I don't know if that gives you anything to take away from this, and I may very well be a minority in not just liking to watch video games get played. But suffice to say, if you want me to really watch a stream, I'm expecting a clear personality behind it, not just some guy vegetating over a controller. I guess because I can do that all by myself.

March 14, 2015, 03:13:57 AM
Reply #3

BlazeHedgehog

• Ring connoisseur

• Do Blue Hedgehogs

• Dream of Electric Eggs?

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 03:13:57 AM »
http://www.twitch.tv/thelostskeleton
http://www.hitbox.tv/blazehedgehog

I need to stream more. But I feel like people expect higher resolutions and higher bitrates than I can output. Granted, for retro games, that doesn't really matter as much.

I also share my connection with someone else most days, so I usually can't dedicate all my bandwidth just to streaming.

I used to stream all the time. I was even streamin' before it became a "thing"! I was streaming Sonic Unleashed DLCs in 2008 on Livestream.com, because back then Twitch.tv didn't even exist yet!

*waves cane*

March 19, 2015, 10:56:20 PM
Reply #4

DiscoChao

• 3 ring meals a day

• Founder of the Funktastic 4

• Buddy.gif IS GONE FOOLS!

• View Profile
    • The Disco Launcher
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 10:56:20 PM »
As like a regular thing seeking a real audience and not just shitting around? Nope.

Dicking around. Yes.

Of course, I do so under a different internet name when I do.

It's nice to have archives of things for people to see even if nobody is actually paying attention.

And OBS is the best. DA BEST.

March 21, 2015, 01:58:18 PM
Reply #5

Vexiss

• Should go on a ring diet

• RIP Lucky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 01:58:18 PM »
is your other internet name better

March 21, 2015, 04:05:03 PM
Reply #6

DiscoChao

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • The Disco Launcher
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 04:05:03 PM »
Nah. Just separate. Mentioning it is kind of a gateway to being a shill and advertising the associated junk I run on that name, but really the main reason I don't mention it is that I don't really want to have any of my online identities come up when you web search one of my other online identities.

That said, if you were ACTUALLY curious, it is something I'd divulge in a more private communication provided I don't think you'll spread it around in ways I'd prefer it wasn't spread around.

Keepin' my peas and carrots away from each other on the plate.

March 21, 2015, 05:55:37 PM
Reply #7

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »
Totally getcha Disco.

By the way, if anyone's interested in streaming or trying to get their channel going, I found this nice article that gives a quick guide to the basics of doing well while streaming. Answered some questions I had too: http://www.theaveragegamer.com/2015/03/09/quick-guide-getting-started-twitch-streamer/

March 21, 2015, 11:31:19 PM
Reply #8

DiscoChao

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • The Disco Launcher
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 11:31:19 PM »
My streaming tutorial consists of me screaming OBS into the ether, and going on a rant about open source software.

March 23, 2015, 12:15:01 AM
Reply #9

NPC

• 3 ring meals a day

• i'm dad

• i'm really really dad

• View Profile
    • music stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 12:15:01 AM »
oh yeah, stream stuff, i do that sometimes

http://www.twitch.tv/lordgroose/

March 23, 2015, 11:59:09 AM
Reply #10

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 11:59:09 AM »
Over all, I think worrying about the show you put on is pointless. People will either be drawn to you, or they won't be. It took us two and a half years to get partnered, but I know people who have done it in a year or less. I think consistency is the most important thing, though. We stream pretty much every day, but because it's split between my friend Ian and I (granted, I do the bulk of the streaming) it helps lighten the load.

A nice overlay is pleasant, but not necessary. I like them, because I like to have an onscreen chat. Makes viewers feel they are more a part of the stream.

We do have a stream team now at twitch.tv/team/battlebuddiesgaming so if anyone streams somewhat regularly, I wouldn't mind adding you.

I wish OBS was .... better. It has a LOT of issues, might try switching over to X-Split, I dunno.

The experience is neat, but man, you certainly learn a lot about random internet people. I thought I was already pretty WELL VERSED in how people are, streaming has proved otherwise!

March 24, 2015, 06:08:54 AM
Reply #11

Keith Stack

• Ringmaster

• The prettiest.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 06:08:54 AM »
*quack sfx* *fart sfx* WOWEE, THANKS FOR SUBSCRIBING, BUTTFUCKY420.

March 24, 2015, 07:15:23 AM
Reply #12

Zodberg

• Playing it bogard.

• the day Adorable won

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 07:15:23 AM »
het guy's it's zodberg2030 it's march 24 and this is my daily update today for me to say what I've been doing I've just been working a lot and playing a lot of zelda 64 for the n64 by nintendo this game is a very good game i think it has good graphics and good story it was really popular when it came out AND I CAN SEE WHY anyway im halfway done and i think ill finish by the end of the week thanks for watching next episode ill talk about the second half of the game so please come back tomorrow subscribe like my channel on facebook follow me on twitter read more on tumblr visit my livejournal and see my deviantart

March 25, 2015, 07:38:31 PM
Reply #13

Squishdiboo

• Ruiner

• sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 07:38:31 PM »
*jerks it on camera* *ejaculates* thanks for watching my stream folks see you next week

March 25, 2015, 09:53:45 PM
Reply #14

Vexiss

• RIP Lucky

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 09:53:45 PM »
here squish take my coins

March 26, 2015, 08:11:31 AM
Reply #15

AnKylo

• Ring connoisseur

• Also known as Hearty Beef 'n Potatoes.

• View Profile
    • SpadeRunner Illustrations
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 08:11:31 AM »
 I've been thinking about trying streaming, but I'm worried about either:

A) Being obnoxious
B) Screaming into the void
C) Getting a shitty capture card
D) Being not very good at a game

Already got a channel and have tested streaming with limited success. Despite building my own gaming rig, I'm basically a caveman trying to figure out calculus when it comes to computer stuff.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:27:20 AM by AnKylo »

March 28, 2015, 04:20:31 PM
Reply #16

SonKnuck

• Ring connoisseur

• Omelette Du Démarrer

• View Profile
    • SonKnuck Adventures
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 04:20:31 PM »
I've streamed a bit into the past. Despite the fact I usually only have 1 or 2 viewers whenever I do... Theresnot much to be done when you're a nobody...

But whatever, self promotion ahoy: http://www.twitch.tv/sonknuck

April 12, 2015, 06:16:34 PM
Reply #17

H Hog

• Administrator

• can't enjoy his sandwich

• hwa~owh!

• View Profile
    • Coldflame
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 06:16:34 PM »
I've entertained the idea of streaming ever since doing shit on the SAGE webstream thingamajig.
There are also plans for my girlfriend and I to open a YouTube channel together at some point, and again, I have thought of us doing streams together by then as well. But so far I/we haven't really gotten anything off the ground yet. But I'd definitely be interested in having some sort of affiliation with a group of other people by the time I/we start to do something, so if you still have a thing going by that time, I'll keep you in mind. =P

Xbox Live: H Hoguera  --  NNID: HHoguera  --  PSN: H_Hoguera

April 14, 2015, 11:45:28 PM
Reply #18

SoNick

• Ring connoisseur

• No longer seeking applications for new picture

• View Profile
    • SoNick's vaguely coherent ramblings
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 11:45:28 PM »
I streamed Sonic 3 & Knuckles this last anniversary of Sonic 3's release, but I was on a computer I hadn't used my mic on before and I had the settings wrong so it was not worth saving. I've fixed the settings since then, but not done any streaming. Outside of that I'm p. active in the TwitchPlaysPokemon community, but that's not streaming anything myself.

Oh! Also while I've still got the link up, back to late 2013 I also participated in a group-commentary of some video game thing pro wrestling thing, but it was p. terribad; Our commentary's delayed slightly from the action as we were commentating on the stream and we talked over each other a bit. It's worth listening to again after all this time for HATERIOT's commentary though, haha
these links are old:
MySpace | Sonic Retro Wiki Entry | ImageShack

April 15, 2015, 03:48:16 PM
Reply #19

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 03:48:16 PM »
Hey guys, what if we collaborated on a channel?

We get one Twitch channel, all agree to take on a specific timeslots for a clear schedule, and make some vague coordination on what everyone will be playing. That way, the channel will have regular content, and we can all benefit from eachother's viewers.

April 17, 2015, 03:14:51 PM
Reply #20

H Hog

• Administrator

• can't enjoy his sandwich

• hwa~owh!

• View Profile
    • Coldflame
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 03:14:51 PM »
You mean like how Vinesauce started out (until they moved on to every streamer having their own channel because everyone's schedules eventually sorta got in each other's way), you mean? Hm, that could be a thing.

Xbox Live: H Hoguera  --  NNID: HHoguera  --  PSN: H_Hoguera

April 17, 2015, 07:31:28 PM
Reply #21

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 07:31:28 PM »
Yeah, and LoadingReadyRun do it too, admittedly, they're a sketch comedy group that pretty much knew eachother in real life to start with, but they've got a single channel with an organised schedule where each person has a slot to devote to their speciality: http://loadingreadyrun.com/live

April 20, 2015, 06:13:50 AM
Reply #22

Ink

• Enjoys a hearty bowl of rings each morning

• Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaw!!

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 06:13:50 AM »
I watch some art streams on Picarto almost every night lately, but Twitch.tv doesn't work for me for some reason. I get maybe one or two seconds of video before it stops to buffer for like, 5-10 seconds, rinse and repeat. I tried watching a Hermitcraft stream recently and was really pissed to discover I couldn't watch.

I do -technically- have Twitch and Picarto (and Livestream, come to think of it) accounts, but I've never streamed with any of them. If I ever get a new computer and get back into Minecraft/other games, or if I get back into arting at all, maybe I'll stream then.

Could be a while, though, considering it's been over a year since my precious laptop bit the big one and I haven't been able to replace it yet (I limp by borrowing my roommate's laptop and using my phone).

April 20, 2015, 02:43:24 PM
Reply #23

Vexiss

• RIP Lucky

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 02:43:24 PM »
picarto is just streams of people making art?

April 30, 2015, 08:22:14 PM
Reply #24

Ink

• Enjoys a hearty bowl of rings each morning

• Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaw!!

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 08:22:14 PM »
Pretty much. That's what it was made for, I believe.