Advanced Search

Author Topic: I made a Discord Server for SER. It's the Future. Use it, or don't. Whatever.  (Read 3921 times)

November 05, 2015, 04:46:33 AM
Read 3921 times

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
I saw the other topic in regards to a Facebook group, and eventually somebody suggested Slack, etc. Being that I stream, I've messed around with almost every service imaginable. I gotta say, Discord is definitely the fucking future. I set up a server for SER. I'll post some screenshots, as well as the link of course to join. If you guys want to use it, go for it, if you don't, that's fine. Just figured I'd actually ... do ... something for SER.  If you do join, I'll assign admin status to those who actually care enough to keep the thing up to date, make channels etc.

Basically, Discord is pretty new, but it's a great chat client for our needs. I'm in like ... 12 Discord servers? Unlike IRC, which, let's face it, is fucking trash, you can actually keep track of all the various servers you're in pretty easily. You can set up voice channels, and text channels, you can PM friends, post pictures, whatever.  This shit is still pre-beta and it's already better than most things. OH and the best part? You can download the client, or run it straight from your browser, or run it on your phone, switching between any of them is super seamless too.

Once you have an account (which takes like ... fucking 12 seconds to make) and you login, your servers are all saved to your account, so you don't ever have to remember which ones you were in or passwords for them or anything of the sort. It's super fucking easy.

ALL PICTURES BELOW ARE EXTREMELY LARGE, EVEN THE SCREENSHOTS FROM MY PHONE. WHOOPS.

Here's a shot from my Stream's Server. All those icons on the left are the different servers I belong to. This was taken straight from the browser, as I'm on my work computer right now, but the client look

And here's a picture of the SER one. Nice and empty, because, ya know, it's new.

Also here are some pictures from the phone version. First picture is how it looks normally, second picture is showing the list of servers I'm in.

Anyway, the link below will get you into it. Once you're in, you're in. People will be able to generate invites as well, but uhh. If you have questions, shoot, I'll be here. I'll also be in there, because I'm always in Discord literally all the time, so ... Ask them here. Ask them there, I'll answer what I can.

I really do think this shit is the best option we've got, and it's only getting better too. But, no harm no foul if you don't want to use it, just figured I'd OFFERRRR.

https://discord.gg/0chbmRrDlzwrXJqK

(I have a feeling someone is gonna say "why use this when we already have something, and that's fair, I'm just giving you the option if you want to use it. It's pretty hassle free. Do what you do.)

November 05, 2015, 09:11:01 AM
Reply #1

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
AJ, I'm the only one that's left. You're just talking to me.

November 05, 2015, 10:26:38 PM
Reply #2

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
The slack exists for now (http://sermb.herokuapp.com, https://sermb.slack.com), I'm not sure what's the best choice for a more permanent solution. Obviously it doesn't make sense to fragment this place too many ways!

We can DISCUSS here though! I like slack quite a bit, in large part because it's so well supported (phones, etc). But it looks like this is similar. There's also some self-hosted versions coming along, but obviously they are not nearly as slick.

I'm wondering what the difference is between this and slack, apart from maybe target audience? Discord is a closer match for us in that regard. If discord has an extension to do automagic account logins, I would be swayed...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:33:04 PM by Sz »

November 05, 2015, 10:38:13 PM
Reply #3

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
Actually, this thing is pretty nice! I like how easy it is to get started.

November 06, 2015, 05:41:22 AM
Reply #4

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
See?! I told ya, it's super super easy.

November 06, 2015, 05:43:01 AM
Reply #5

AJ

• 3 ring meals a day

• View Profile
    • Save Shaq Fu
There. You're an Admin and can literally do everything Sz. Mess around!

December 08, 2016, 03:38:22 PM
Reply #6

H Hog

• Administrator

• can't enjoy his sandwich

• hwa~owh!

• View Profile
    • Coldflame
Considering Discord has become more widespread of a thing as of late, perhaps it's a good time to prod this topic back up.
Don't see it as fragmenting, see it as more ways to keep in touch!  :yes:

Xbox Live: H Hoguera  --  NNID: HHoguera  --  PSN: H_Hoguera

December 08, 2016, 03:51:40 PM
Reply #7

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
there's a bit of a discord here.

December 09, 2016, 05:07:35 PM
Reply #8

Myst

• Should go on a ring diet

• View Profile
AJ? More like

A gay! Amirite? Thought so.

Oh I crack myself up

Merry Christmas everyone!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 05:09:50 PM by Myst »

December 19, 2016, 12:29:00 AM
Reply #9

Vexiss

• Should go on a ring diet

• RIP Lucky

• View Profile
Happy belated one year anniversary discord

December 20, 2016, 12:51:14 AM
Reply #10

Sz

• Pasta

• View Profile
Discord's alright! It's more flexible than slack in some ways (it has voice chat!), so by all means!

January 22, 2017, 07:16:41 PM
Reply #11

Mirai Zikasu

• Ring connoisseur

• Wanderluster

• 心無きの戦士

• View Profile
Discord is actually pretty nice.  Another forum I follow just set up one, and the design along with the talk function are very smooth.  The one downside I find over Slack though is that it attaches channels to one's account rather than having an account for each channel.  It's not the end of the world, but it's a bit of a pain to switch accounts if one has multiple aliases.

EDIT:  Looking a bit deeper into things, it looks like at least nicknames are permitted; they just need to be enabled on the server.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:08:10 PM by Mirai Zikasu »