Advanced Search

Author Topic: Organizing my thoughts.  (Read 1060 times)

June 20, 2017, 07:31:21 AM
Read 1060 times

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
Organizing my thoughts.
« on: June 20, 2017, 07:31:21 AM »
Hello, dear friends.

I am more likely to check the dead message board of Sonic Eats Rings, than an old worn out notepad with my hopes and dreams scrawled in them. So these are the things that I need to prioritize in the coming days:

Interview tomorrow- I need to know the exact location. Even though i'm getting a ride, I need to know the location.

yard work-i've gotta use the loppers for the tree out back, and get those weeds out front. it's probably time to mow the lawn out back too.

motivation- this is the corner stone of civilization. for me to do any of this, i need the energy. here's another cup of coffee.

preparation-don't overthink things. just do it. ppup.

i'm going to eat a strawberry now. 

June 20, 2017, 10:26:27 AM
Reply #1

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
Re: Organizing my thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:26:27 AM »
okay, i managed to eat two strawberries so far, and took a shower. c'mon, old gal.

June 20, 2017, 11:43:21 AM
Reply #2

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 11:43:21 AM »
okay, lopped the branches off in the yard, and pulled some weeds out front. the day is still young, but i'm not sure i have it in me to mow the lawn.

June 20, 2017, 01:41:18 PM
Reply #3

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 01:41:18 PM »
an old worn out notepad with my hopes and dreams scrawled in them.

Oh hey, you have one of those too?

Anyway, best of luck with all your tasks, especially your interview tomorrow. We're rooting for you!

June 20, 2017, 02:07:44 PM
Reply #4

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 02:07:44 PM »
Thanks Sofox. Yes, sir, I do have a notebook of my hopes and dreams. Anyway, I haven't interviewed for a long time, and assumed that my printer was working to print up resumes. It looks like I have to go down to the library. I did most of the yard work, but preparing for this interview is a little overwhelming. It's such an abstract thing.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:09:47 PM by yaj »

June 20, 2017, 02:30:41 PM
Reply #5

Sofox

• Administrator

• Yep, just hanging out

• View Profile
    • Sofox Central
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 02:30:41 PM »
Since you're a little rusty, quick reminder of the fundamentals

Firm handshake
Be nice to receptionist/everyone you see before you get to the interviewers.
Research the company.
Know how you can help the company, and how they can help you. Don't be afraid to say such.
Don't be afraid to ask questions at the end. With interviews, while they're seeing if you're a good fit for the company, you're seeing if the company is a good fit for you.

June 20, 2017, 04:29:12 PM
Reply #6

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 04:29:12 PM »
Thanks, Sofox. That's all very good advice. What I'm interviewing for is a receptionist position actually. Right now I'm on the company's website, and am trying to summarize in my head exactly what these people do. They seem to provide counseling services for children, youth, and adults.

The game plan for "Tell me about yourself" is just to give tell her my current job title, and then to go into my educational background. Well, it was more of a vocational training program. Got the weakness strength thing down: My weakness is that I'm a little rusty with power point (was gonna say rusty with Microsoft Access, bu that's too risky. nobody wants to retrain somebody in access,) and my strength is that I'm detail oriented. That sort of thing. Buuuut.."Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" OH, I would like to take on my responsibilities, and such. "BUUUUUUUUUUU tell me about a time when you had to diffuse a situation with an upset client or customer"

Oh, well this one time we were out of something, and I looked in the back to find it. I went back and did. The lesson I learned from this is going the extra mile for the customer. Hmm..that sounds a bit contrived, so hopefully she doesn't ask this question.

Anyway, like you said, it all comes back to how I can help the company, so I should tie every answer to a question into that. It's a little tricky though, because I want to be sincere. Honestly, I can't tell her why I'd be the best person for the job, my background is in unskilled labor. But at least I tried, and came prepared. It may be a mistake letting my dad take me though, since he tends to point out my flaws too much, even though he means well. Really should've taken a dry run on the bus, and kept this interview to myself. But that's neither here nor there.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:30:47 PM by yaj »

June 20, 2017, 09:05:12 PM
Reply #7

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 09:05:12 PM »
Now that the day has ended, I would say that i completed about 90% of what I set out to do. Yard work was okay, but with mom's help I got it done for the most part. The neighbors (who I have gotten in several arguments with, so I try to avoid) weren't out, but the fear of confrontation was still looming. I probably didn't do as much weed whacking as I should have. The other thing I'm disappointed about is I can't seem to memorize all the answers that I'm supposed to give this person. It's alright though. I won't have any regrets, because at least I tried. Procrastination and laziness didn't get the best of me today.

Things to work on:

Willpower-Cravings seem to take over, and there's no disconnect between action and thought. There's the feeling, and the habit without any awareness. My goal is to hit the pause button, and let life hit me like a ton of bricks. As much as I can.

June 21, 2017, 03:17:49 PM
Reply #8

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 03:17:49 PM »
The interview was just okay. I decided against giving them a hard copy of my resume, because my phone number was entered incorrectly. Somebody else helped me out with it, and I forgot to print out the resume that I corrected. So I just emailed them the corrected resume, and references. "We'll see what happens." My plan for the rest of the day is to catch up on some reading, and relax-Trying not to indulge in any habits. Cravings are coming at me at all sides.

(This all seems a bit self absorbed, but anybody else is welcome to organize their thoughts in this topic also. The thing is, nobody's really posting these days anyway, so I doubt people are reading about my boring life.)

June 25, 2017, 05:19:47 PM
Reply #9

yaj

• Ring connoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 05:19:47 PM »
Okay, the plan for organizing my thoughts hasn't gone very well, everybody. I really wanted to be one of those people who organize their day, and be goal oriented, but then I realized something: My day is much less frustrating if I let life make the plans for me.

ppup.